Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

HLP I AM A SHORT ON STUDENTS GUITAR TEACH, what job do you reccomend for the side?????

edited March 2011 in General Banter
I would appreciate any stories or input! I would prefer a relaxing job (obviously :D) but am totally open minded, really looking forward to your suggestions. I was thinking about a Stone mason, Waiter(can you move up as a waiter?)..

Comments

• WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    Maybe you can start by fixing your caps lock?
  • If you're in the USA, good luck getting any job at all, much less being able to choose, and especially a relaxing one. Are you qualified as a stone mason? Are you experienced as a waiter?
  • Hi Peace,

Employment is rebounding slower than the economy. Unless you have skills in a particular job, you'll have to take what you can get. Becoming a stone mason requires several years of apprenticeship. I've been an apprentice in the construction trade, and it mostly involves doing the hardest manual labor that no one else wants to do. Plus, I imagine there's not much construction work right now.

Waiter is a high stress job.

Since you already have a marketable skill, the first step would be to try to use that. I would check other music stores in your area and see who needs a guitar instructor. In my region of the US, music instruction is bouncing back from the last couple of years and some of the music stores are looking for instructors. I have more than twice as many students as I had this time last year.

If you are making enough to live on, now is a good time to focus on practicing and developing your skills.

Best of luck.
  • edited March 2011
    You can get good tips as a waiter, but the law allows employers to pay below standard minimum wage because of anticipated tips, so...it may not work out, economically. I can't help but notice that there's a lot of turnover in cashier jobs--seems easy to pick up one of those. It's difficult to advise you, since we know nothing of your skills and employment history. Is there a guitar store in your town? Maybe they need a salesperson or cashier.
  • I am yet to meet a waiter who was happy with the job.
  • I am yet to meet a waiter who was happy with the job.
    Maybe that says something more about the people who take waitstaff jobs more then about the job itself.

Anyways I know happy waiters, and I think it's a good part time job in the U.S (some people consider it a career)

About the legal aspect; The law provides they may pay you below minimum wage as a base, however if you include the tips and you are still not making at least minimum wage it is the responsibility of the employer to make up for the difference.

It's hard work (on your feet all the time) but even humility can be rewarding.
  • @whoknows omggggggggg like who cares!?
  • @sherabdorje what do you do sher?
  • I'm a Registered Nurse. Only 3-4 years of schooling for you for that. I'm semi-retired (or waiting until I feel better) due to health issues. I've been a RN for 30 years, which is known in Tibetan as Gengo Stare, or "Old Battle Axe".

:)

It's a good career in the US and I encourage anyone who might be so inclined. Ain't none of us getting any younger...
  • maybe spiritually younger, haha
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    @whoknows omggggggggg like who cares!?
    :)
  • :bowdown: