Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

whats the difference

pobpob
edited January 2006 in Buddhism Today
Whats the difference,,zen, tiebetan ,, please a short explanation

pob

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    All the different flavors of Buddhism are in essence the same. The differences are more of style. There are three basic schools of Buddhism: Theravadan, Mahayana and Vajrayana. Most types of Buddhism fit into one of these three.

Theravadan is the oldest and traces its teachings directly back to the historical Buddha. The concentration here is on moral discipline, using an external moral code to lead one's life in order to stop creating negative karma and start creating positive karma, which results in happiness.

Mahayana, or the Great Vehicle, focuses mainly on compassion for others. The Mahayana practitioner follows the example of the bodhisattva, one who vows to return to samsara again and again until all sentient beings are liberated.

Vajrayana is a further development of Mahayana. While it keeps the same basic tenets and follows the bodhisattva ideal, it adds the element of tantra, which is a more active way of purifying our poisons (hatred, greed and ignorance) by directly transmuting them into enlightened activity.

Zen is usually put into the Mahayana school, although it traditionally, as the great Zen Master Dogen said, is outside of all doctrinal schools and teachings. It originated in China as Ch'an, a combination of the Buddhism brought from India by Bodhidharma and the native Taoism. Its main characteristic is the direct experience of ultimate reality through the use of meditation and koans, impossible mind benders (what is the sound of one hand clapping?) which help us break through ordinary conceptual thought processes.

Tibetan Buddhism actually shares a lot in common with Zen. Dzogchen, a form of practice found in Nyingma, one of the subcategories of Tibetan Buddhism (Nyingma, Gelugpa, Kagyu and Sakya), is very much like zen practice where you break through ordinary conceptualization to experience reality directly. Tibetan Buddhism (or Vajrayana, the diamond vehicle) looks quite different, however, because while Zen is very plain and stark, Tibetan Buddhism is exuberantly colorful and raucous with gods and demons and protectors of every variety and type all over the place. The latter, however, should be understood as symbolic representations of various aspects of enlightened mind, wrathful, peaceful, whatever. They are used as objects of devotional practice to help develop these same enlightened qualities in our minds.

So there you have a quick two-bit tour of Buddhism. Hope that helps!

Palzang
  • pobpob
    edited December 2005
    thanks for the info
    pob
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited December 2005
    Palzang,

I would have to disagree. Theravada (Path of the Elders) Buddhism does not simply concentrate on moral discipline using an external moral code. That is one small part of the whole picture.

Sila (virtue) is stressed because without it samadhi (concentration) cannot arise. Sila is the foundation of a good, solid meditation practice. You simply cannot attain jhana (meditative absorbtion) when you are consitently breaking the precepts. Also, following the precepts protects you, as well as all other sentient beings, when they are observed.

With a solid foundation of virtue, concentration is eventually attained in tandem with a consistent meditation practice. The mind becomes calm, clear, and bright. This is the basis for insight to arise, insight which creates panna (wisdom), and disenchanment with samsara (the round of rebirth) in all its forms.

The more one develops this insight [by contemplating various meditative subjects such as tilakkhana (the three characteristics of existence), the body, etc.] the more one begins to eradicate the very foundation of greed, hatred, and delusion - avijja (ignorance). This, of course, leads one to Nibbana (unbinding), and hence, no more dukkha (unsatisfactoriness).

This all simply boils down to cause and effect. Nibbana is realized with the destruction of avijja. Avijja is destroyed by panna. Panna is allowed to arise and be cultivated when the defilements (greed, hatred, and delusion) are temporarily subdued due to the jhanas. The jhanas themselves arise out of a consistent meditation practice combined with sila. All of this is conviently covered int the Noble Eightfold Path.

The Buddha was extremely practical. He did not teach anything without there being a very, very good reason for it. The real concentration of Theravada Buddhism is on the well laid out Path to understand, and consequently destroy, dukkha.

To state it simply, in the Buddha's own words:

"Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress."

- SN XII.2

:)

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Obviously I was oversimplifying, just giving broad strokes. What I said for all schools isn't really true of any of them if you look closely. I was just trying to be concise rather than complete. Sorry!

Palzang
    edited December 2005
    Palzang,

I certainly understand.

I simply felt the stroke to be too broad.

I do not wish to give people the wrong idea about Theravada Buddhism.

Even in its oversimplified form, I felt your statement to be inadequate.

If anything, it is more about the "internal" rather than the "external".

Sorry to be such a constant nit-picker.

I am a Virgo though...

;)

Jason
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Aha, a Virgo! That explains everything...

Palzang

PS Happy New Year!
    edited January 2006
    Palzang,

Thank you. Happy New Year to you too!

:)

Jason