Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Li'l problem with juror's oath

nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
edited March 2011 in Buddhism Basics
I've been called to jury duty Monday, and I've course I'll have to take a juror's oath. I'm not sure if I'll automatically take it, or only if I'm actually drafted to serve on a jury. At any event, my question revolves around the last four words - so help me God. Given that I don't believe in God, and have taken the Five Precepts to boot, I can't take this oath. How do I handle this situation?

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited March 2011
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited March 2011
    You're not saying you believe in God, or that you don't, so there's no breaking of any precept. There's no lying involved. If they ask you if you believe in God and you said yes, that would be lying. "So help me God" may not be have any particular weight for you personally if you don't believe in God, but they're only words (their words, which they are asking you to repeat, that's all).

I actually don't think they require you to say that part anymore, it may be optional like when you give testimony at a trial.

Don't worry about it either way! They ask everyone to say the same words, and they know not everyone believes in God. It satisfies them, it's not meant so much for you. :)
  • Don't let that dissuade you from doing your civic duty and participating as a potential juror though. Too many people in the US try every possible way to weasel out of serving. If you have a legitimate reason for not being able to serve, that's fine, but please don't let the oath (which I believe you can say in a modified way) keep you from serving. You might even find it interesting, I did!

:)
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    After some consideration of Cloud's post, I realized that my reluctance to say "so help me God" stemmed from my past difficulties with Christianity and not a little bit of pride. So I decided to take Cloud's advice, and treat the whole thing as an exercise in humility. As it turns out, I didn't have to recite the whole oath, just say "I do" at the end.Still, a part of me feels as though I weaseled out and didn't stand up for what I believe in.

Thanks, everyone who posted
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Glad to help!