Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does Buddhism have a Bible?

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Christians, catholics, and everyone else has a bible/bible like book. Do Buddhist have something that they would consider a bible?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    So, uhh do they have em in english? And is there a place I could buy??
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    hi Smittydo,

The Pali Canon is vast and very repetitive (a good thing, but somewhat redundant). These are the primary scriptures of Theravada. Much of it has been translated by various people. Accesstoinsight.com > tipitaka > sutta pitaka is a good place to read online. It contains a fairly comprehensive--although relatively small to the actual Pali Canon--collection. I would personally recommend the Majjhima Nikaya. You can also buy physical copies by certain translators, for example at Amazon.com.

For Mahayana texts, I do not know of a reliable source online, or how many are available, but, yes, many are. You can do a Google search (just "Mahayana sutras"), and hopefully some of the Mahayana practitioners can point you to a good site too.
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited July 2010
    smittydo wrote: »
    Christians, catholics, and everyone else has a bible/bible like book.

Arn't Christians and catholics the same thing? I don't know, just asking.
    Do Buddhist have something that they would consider a bible?

In a word: No.

Buddhist scriptures have been broken up and spread out across the world, mainly to avoid destruction from persecution. As a result, there are very different versions of buddhist scriptures (much like the difference between King Jame's Bible, or a Methodist Bible).

Sutras are a good source, if you are looking for an "original" source, but if you are hoping to sit down and read "The Buddhist Book" I'm afraid you won't find it.
    And is there a place I could buy??

I know you were referring to the sutras, but if you do find a Buddhist Bible (like http://www.amazon.com/Buddhist-Bible-Dwight-Goddard/dp/0807059110/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278471734&sr=8-2), avoid it. It's a 'fake' and someone is just trying to package something for you to buy.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    For the Gelugpa tradition of Tibetan Buddhism, the Lam Rim is their main book.

Can't speak for other traditions, or other schools.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Christians, catholics, and everyone else has a bible/bible like book. Do Buddhist have something that they would consider a bible?

The four noble truths!:) But unlike the Bible, you should even try to doubt those...

namaste
  • edited July 2010
    The one teaching of Buddhism is not a teaching but a realization. Therefore it cannot be written down and therefore no scripture or sutra can be considered the Bible of Buddhism in the sense of a deists bible.