Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Praying to Buddha ?

edited July 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I'm just curious. Do Buddhists pray to Buddha the way a Christian would pray to Jesus or the Saints ?
Does Buddha's "spirit" exist much like the spirits that the clairvoyants and mediums contact ?

Many thanks....
Gregg

Comments

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited July 2010
    It's not the same kind of prayer. Most recognize that the Buddha as the Enlightened One, a gifted teacher, but still a human being who was born and died. His spirit lives on through his dharma teachings. If you believe he reached enlightenment there would be no point in praying to his "spirit" or trying to contact him through supernatural mediums, as he would be beyond the concept of death.

The Buddha represents the complete path to purifying the mind and is revered for bringing the gift of the dharma to our world. He is not thought of as a God or deity, therefore you would not pray to him expecting him to grant your wishes. Any prayers would be only symbolic.
  • edited July 2010
    Thsi is not from a Buddhist standpoint but in Yoga there have been records of students/new masters praying to a past master and the master manifesting in physical form. If you want to pray to the Buddha and his spirit is out there, I don't see why he wouldn't help and answer a heart felt genuine prayer when called through love.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    No. "Buddha Nature" refers to a basic quality of awakeness in everybody that can be cultivated, not a spiritual entity.
  • edited July 2010
    pray to Buddha, is the good thing or good thought to do. they did a long time since the lord buddha had the life. it can increase their faith with lord buddha. make them to a good way. it will be the base of good karma in their mind. if that's no good thought that a lot of bad thought will occur in their mind. and the bad thought is difficult to do meditation.
  • edited July 2010
    No. "Buddha Nature" refers to a basic quality of awakeness in everybody that can be cultivated, not a spiritual entity.
    Ok Siddhartha Gautama.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Ok Siddhartha Gautama.

There are very few Buddhists who "pray to the Buddha as one prays to Jesus." Do some? I'm sure. Generally when Buddhists talk about prayer it's something very different, though. He's not being arrogant, he's stating a simple fact...
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited July 2010
    MIG1 wrote: »
    Ok Siddhartha Gautama.

We chant in our sangha a variation on this in either Pali or (as here) in English translation prior to both group and solitary practice. It is not compulsory......

To the Blessed one , the Lord who fully attained perfect Enlightenment.
    To the teachings which he expounded so well,
    and to the blessed ones disciples who have practice well.
    To these the Buddha the Dhamma and the Sangha, we render with offerings our rightful homage. It is well for us that the Blessed one, having attained liberation, still had compassion for later generations.
    May these simple offerings be accepted, for our long lasting benefit and for the happiness it us.

The Lord, the perfectly Enlightened and Blessed one, I render homage to the Buddha , the Blessed one.
    Prostration.......

The Teachings so completely explained by him, I bow to the Dhamma.
    Prostration.......

The Blessed ones disciples who have practiced well, I bow to the Sangha.
    Prostration......

Homage to the Noble Blessed and perfectly Enlightened one

Three prostrations......

Now is this praying to the Buddha? Looks like it, but there is not a single practitioner I know, Lay or Ordained, who sees it that way, so make of it what you will. In "the old country" no doubt many people pray to the Buddha, but people also have concerns about Pretas in some places.

There is much discomfort with this kind of ritual, and as someone who regularly facilitates public sittings I used to be very sensitive to these concerns, but not any more. Tis what it is. I'm happy to explain the tradition, but if it freaks some people out...
  • edited July 2010
    Hi Richard, doesn't really sound like a prayer in the normal sense of what I prayer is thought to be, more like a ritual out of respect.
    I'm happy to explain the tradition, but if it freaks some people out...

lol why? I bet it's westerners who get freaked out by this
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Hi Richard, doesn't really sound like a prayer in the normal sense of what I prayer is thought to be, more like a ritual out of respect.

I think that's the point. :P