Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

rock'n'roll

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
I was wondering if rock'n'roll was the total opposite of what buddhism teaches.
I thought of this while I was looking for my moms old beatle records and I came a cross Cat stevens-Buddha and the chocolate box. I thought if rock and roll is sex,alcohol and drugs or whatever the exact words are then is it agianest buddhism or something.

(please excuse the bad grammer- its the weekend i save it all for school)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Hya Canon!
    Heck, I listen to all kinds of music, and while, as a Monk or a Nun there are certain types of music to avoid, when you're a lay person, I think it best to use your own judgement as wisely as you can....
    use the Eightfold Path as a signpost or guideline.....
    We're discussing the 8Fold path as a stickied topic in this Forum.... come in and join us if you'd like to read and contribute....
    Skool suques! :D
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Canon,

It is only 'against' Buddhism if you attach to it; otherwise sound is just sound, hearing is just hearing. Nothing un-Buddhist about that, it's nature.

:)

Jason
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited October 2005
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Well, as we say in our tradition: "All sounds are the mantra sounds..."

It's all enlightened activity if viewed properly. Rock music in its essence is empty of any sort of fixed existence. It just is what it is. It's only our interpretations of it that are "good" or "bad", like anything else.

Palzang
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Does this mean that I can crank Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and Ronnie James Dio as loud as I like? :doh:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Yes........ but to cultivate good Karma, you simply do your prostrations in time to the music......!:D
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    Yes........ but to cultivate good Karma, you simply do your prostrations in time to the music......!:D

Fede my darling,
    I can not do prostrations due to freak accident where I shattered a vertebrae in my back and my spine is permanently fused. My teacher said I could bow instead. I don't know if I can bow that fast though. Depends on the song. And since I take care of the critically ill, doesn't that build good Karma?
    edited November 2005
    Jerry, I don't think it would be safe to attempt to do ANYTHING to that kind of music - your head would fall off, for a start....!

One of my Shiatsu Tutors (Tim Mulvagh) once said something, at the start of a practical lesson on Shiatsu, which I have never forgotten. He said:

"The instant you lay your hands on another Human Being, with the intention of doing them good, the healing process has already begun."

I don't think you need have any worries about the accumulation of Good karma, Jerbear.......;) :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Jerbear wrote:
    Fede my darling,
    I can not do prostrations due to freak accident where I shattered a vertebrae in my back and my spine is permanently fused. My teacher said I could bow instead. I don't know if I can bow that fast though. Depends on the song. And since I take care of the critically ill, doesn't that build good Karma?

Jer.... you know what you can do in time with the music - just look at your signature...

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Jer.... you know what you can do in time with the music - just look at your signature...

-bf
    I used to be one of those kids who headbanged. But after my freak accident, I'm afraid to even do that. I let my smilie do it for me.