Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Diaper Mindfulness

edited November 2005 in Buddhism Today
Despite all the wondrous moments parenthood offers I have also noticed the many opportunities for being “awake”. We have recently tried new diapers for Amaya which Dawn and I do not prefer. I decided to see for my self which one Amaya did in fact like best (knowing she would pick the ones with Mickey Mouse, the favored by Dawn and me.). I sat both diapers down in front of her and asked which one she liked. She seemed to consider this deeply as we talked about the characters on each for a bit. Well one has Cookie Monster and the other has Mickey, seemingly very important things to an almost two year old! She grabbed them up, one in each hand and commenced to making them dance together singing, “DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!” What a joy and awareness my daughter brought to me as I began to realilize the thought of a choice never even occurred to her!
Mike

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Well, if I remember rightly, the original dilemma you both faced was how to integrate the Christianity of Mike's Mother, into the Buddhist philosophy you're both exploring....
    And it was Jesus Christ who said:

Mark 10:14, 15 & 16 -
    "Suffer the little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them."

This is what he meant. Let go. Of all your conditioning, of all your prejudices, of all your likes , dislikes, wants, desires, attachments, suffering and baggage - !!
    So deep down, Both the New testament and Buddha's teachings are similar - at times, identical. Find the Good. Find the Common ground.

And well done your little girl for being such a joyous angel for you both.
    And well done you for 'seeing things as they really are'....!:thumbsup:
  • edited November 2005
    I have come to understand that the stories of Buddha and Jesus are very much the same. These teachings offer great guidelines on being awake and aware. Through the support of those of you on this site, my own studies, and actual experience I have come to see the humanistic conceptions of religion and as such it has softened my views. The teachings of the Buddha, Jesus, Allah, Cookie Monster, Elmo, or anyone or thing offer great insights on being “awake” when one is able to look deeply!
    Mike
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Especially the Cookie Monster - COOKIE!!!!!

Sorry...
  • edited November 2005
    :) C is for COOKIE that's good enough for me!!

Mike
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Kids are amazing.

I remember one time I was driving with my son and he had been kind of quiet during the drive. He was probably 5 at the time.

I remember thinking to myself, "I wonder what he is thinking?" "I wonder if he is upset because him mom and dad got a divorce, if he's unhappy because they don' get along, does he wish something was different?"

So I decided to ask him what he was thinking...

In a very thoughtful voice, very intense on what he was thinking and what he was going to relay to me he said,

"Can I wear the Spiderman costume you got in me in the car?"

I laughed but could have cried. Here I was blowing a molehill into a mountain - and he just wanted to wear his Spidey costume.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Kids are amazing.

I remember one time I was driving with my son and he had been kind of quiet during the drive. He was probably 5 at the time.

I remember thinking to myself, "I wonder what he is thinking?" "I wonder if he is upset because him mom and dad got a divorce, if he's unhappy because they don' get along, does he wish something was different?"

So I decided to ask him what he was thinking...

In a very thoughtful voice, very intense on what he was thinking and what he was going to relay to me he said,

"Can I wear the Spiderman costume you got in me in the car?"

I laughed but could have cried. Here I was blowing a molehill into a mountain - and he just wanted to wear his Spidey costume.

-bf

Buddhafoot:

I can relate! You just brought up some wonderful memories I have of my kids and dealing with things that I thought my children were so upset about only to find that it was only my over-active mommy radar acting up! LOL!

Adiana:wavey: :usflag:
  • edited November 2005
    During one of his stand-ups Ray Ramano said he was driving his car and noticed his daughter in the back seat staring intensely out the window. He thought she was deep in thought and asked her what she was thinking about. To which she simply replied, "Candy". Each second I can spend with Amaya helps to remind me to be fully present. :)
  • edited November 2005
    During one of his stand-ups Ray Ramano said he was driving his car and noticed his daughter in the back seat staring intensely out the window. He thought she was deep in thought and asked her what she was thinking about. To which she simply replied, "Candy". Each second I can spend with Amaya helps to remind me to be fully present. :)

That is so true!

Adiana:type: :mullet:
  • edited November 2005
    Cookie Monster!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2005
    I love cookie monster! Now a day it's all about Elmo. I guess cookie monster would have been my Elmo back in the day! Now Cookie Monster only eats cookies for a "sometimes" snack. Once he was asked to try tofu and veggies!

Mike