Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Newsflash! Gotama Siddartha Never Existed.

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited January 2007 in Buddhism Today

After reading an article that Brian created regarding the Dali Lama's view on science and also reading a couple of posts from some members regarding the doubt of Buddha's teachings - I got thinking...

What if Gotama never existed? I mean, it is a possibility. There were centuries of oral tradition before his teachings were ever written down. Was it possible that during a time of religious unrest in Hinduism that "someone" could have made up these stories?

What if someone "brought" these teachings, that were made up, to the masses and started teaching them? New ideologies and theories about many forms of religious practice have come and gone - some brought along by just one person.

Where would that put you with your beliefs? If you knew for a fact that Buddha never lived? What would that do to your practice? Your belief in Nirvana? Your belief in rebirth and reincarnation?

What would you do?

-bf

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Nothing would change for me... Regardless of whether or not a man lived and taught these things, you can see for yourself the inherent truths that the teachings contain. The dhamma speaks for itself - it needs no messenger.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    As an agnostic, not much. I still get alot out of meditation. I find that the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path are of great ethical value. I've come from a religious background that is full of myths that have their purpose but found that the basic foundation is a belief that I found I could no longer buy. If this is all a myth, it is a well thought out one.

Remember that the Buddah said for us to make sure we agreed with what he taught with to start. I do agree with most of what I've read so far. Some of it I can see as myth and those parts I use as a possible psychological statement of how our mind might react to certain behaviors. :eek2: I'm not sure if those "planes of existence" are real.

Third, do you have too much time on your hands BF?

Your Friend,
  • edited November 2005
    The answer is written in your signature, buddhafoot. :)

"Rely not on the teacher/person, but on the teaching".

I'm pretty new with all this, but I perceive the teaching as good.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited November 2005
    "If you are walking down the road and you meet the Buddha, kill him!"
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    All these things are true - but I guess a more direct question would be:

What if Christianity or Islam or the worship of RA or any other religion is the "true" religion? What will you do? Is following the teachings of Buddha enough for you in this life and the next?

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Bertie Russell was asked what he would do, as an atheist, if he discovered, after death, that there is a God. He replied: "I would say: 'God, you are a shoddy fellow. You never gave us adequate proof of your existence."

The historical fact that the Revolutionaries who wrote the US Declaration of Independence and Constitution comprised salave-owners, adulterers, oath-breakers and drug-takers does not invalidate the content of the documents.

Beware, once again, the cult of personality.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot, all,

The Buddha was recorded as once saying, in response to question of what was the summation of his Path, "Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya." That is, "Nothing whatsoever should be clung to." This would include even the Buddha himself.

I agree with Brian that no matter who first taught the Dhamma, it is a very wise, positive, and skillful way of living. Whoever took their time to learn and discover these great truths is well worth my admiration. In it, the Dhamma takes the conditioned world and breaks it down into it's rudimentary processes. From there, it opens up our way of thinking to view our human existence in a whole new way.

We are also given a Path to follow that has many greatly beneficial side-affects. One of those 'side-affects' is the complete and utter freedom from suffering. Another 'side-affect' is that we live in harmony with the rest of our fellow man. And yet another such 'side-affect' is that we are given the strength and encouragement to do all of this without a bribe of an eternal heaven, or the threat of an eternal hell (even regardless of the heavenly and hellish realms spoken of in Buddhism since these realms were taught to be impermanent).

We are pointed to ourselves as our own refuge. We are taught that we should be responsible for our own actions, not a God, Devil, Fate, or the whole of humanity. It is we who are the owners, the heirs to our own kamma. We are shown how not to place the blame on others. In Buddhism, the 'Devil' did not make me do it, it was my own greed, hatred, and delusion that made me do it. If I want to refrain from doing such a thing again I should deal with the root causes of such actions, not place the blame on some external force or entity. That is a selfish, and childish reaction. As we grow older, so too should our spirituality.

I personally do not believe that any religion is the "true" religion. Religion to me is nothing but a reflection of our own fears and superstitions. I have certainly never been one to follow what was socially accepted as being 'right'. When I was a young teenager in high school I was a Devil-worshipper/Satanist, not because I thought it was cool, but because I believed in the views opposed to the masses that so ignorantly claimed that the way to salvation was theirs, and theirs alone. If their salvation was so great, why would the occupants of said "Paradise" rebel in the first place? When I graduated I became Pagan, not because it was popular, but because it helped to fill a void that I felt inside for some meaning to my life. Neither of these faiths were considered mainstream, or acceptable in society, (perhaps now there is more information and tolerance to such beliefs, especially Paganism), but that was never why I followed them.

Today I practice no religion, but instead I practice the skillful means of wholesome living. I follow the Noble Eightfold Path because I see the value in it. I benefit my self by increasing my happiness, as well as benefit others by increasing theirs. I am generous because I see the joy it offers others. I am kinder because I see how other people just want to be happy like me. I do not condemn others if they choose to have faith in a religion simply because I do not. If any "God" or "faith" were to tell me that what I was doing was wrong, well I simply would not want much to do with them. I trust and value my own discernment above all others. I am no sheep to be led, and I have no wish to be a blind shepard. It is my honest opinion that you will be very hard pressed to find a more compassionate, caring, open, and skillful way of life than that of the Buddha's Path.

The teachings of the Buddha are enough for me in this life, and if there is such a thing, the next.

:)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Hello Wireframe, and welcome!

BF, The Buddha (or whomsoever wrote all the sutras down for posterity!) taught us early on via the Kalama Sutra to question the Truth we seek, for ourselves. I, like Jerbear, would say that if Buddha didn't exist, I would still be following the Eightfold Path.
    And if God exists, and He were to introduce himself on my passing, I would like to think - if he's the type of God I believe Him to be - that he'd say,
    "Ok, so you put me on a back-burner, but you still did pretty Good.... I see you followed the 'Right Everything' philosophy.... I can live with that - !!":D :thumbsup:

(I've always been an optimist..... ;) )
  • edited November 2005
    Nothing would change with me. Just like I question the existence of Jesus, I still think his teachings of non-violence and caring for the poor classes are all wonderful.

Whether Buddha really was real or not, I still have no objection to the 4 Noble Truths and 8 Fold Path.
  • edited November 2005
    Brian wrote:
    Nothing would change for me... Regardless of whether or not a man lived and taught these things, you can see for yourself the inherent truths that the teachings contain. The dhamma speaks for itself - it needs no messenger.

Brian:

I agree with you. All I know is this: since I started practicing Buddhism, my life has gotten better in my opinion. I am a much happier and contented person and I have learned to accept the different things happening in my life as just simply life's ups and downs. I also learned that it was the choices I made and no one else or some "unseen force" that caused things to happen that happened in my life whether for good or bad.

Adiana:wavey: :D
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited November 2005
    There is nothing that would change for me. The Way is still the Way, and just because some guy I've never met didn't actually exist to attain "Enlightenment" doesn't negate the truth of what I try and practice.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    This is not in any way shape or form intended to be a criticism of BF... I think his question and clarification of same are both interesting and thought-provoking.... But isn't it a little sad that the more advanced and intelligent Mankind purportedly becomes, the more 'he' requires proof, evidence, factual data, irrefutable information, without a shadow of a doubt, to definitely state that something is - or isn't so....?
    There's that wonderful anecdote of the guy who gets taken round a space station and shown, through incredibly powerful telescopes, stars invisible to the naked eye.... stars whose light takes five million years to reach the earth.... stars which by now, although still technically viewable, may in fact have vanished for ever...
    'Wow!' 'Amazing!' 'Incredible!' 'My gosh!' is all he can say....
    Walking across the grounds to another department, the guide tells him to watch his step, because this bench has only just been re-painted.... and the guy touches it just to make sure.....

"A little Faith, a little reverence, in the things we cannot see....."

So many scientists are intent on pulling some of the things hitherto held as sacred, to pieces. We now know, through scientific research, that much of what is told in the New Testament, is questionable. That the Turin Shorud is not as old as it was once believed to be.... That the finger-bone of this saint, or the half-eaten chicken carcass of another is nowhere near as authentic as devoted pilgrims believe it to be....
    And so tragically, wonder and mystery are replaced by knowledge and fact. That which we gazed on in awe becomes every-day and ordinary. That which once gave Hope and inspired Faith is no more than a gruesome and macarbre object of disgust.....
    Give Science due, where it is due. Where would we be without it today? We have so much to be grateful for..... but at the same time, what gives with a blessing, takes away and leaves us cursed.

So: Much as I know that The Four Noble truths tell it to me exactly as it is, bare bones and raw.... That the Eightfold Path is as true, honourable and absolutely crystal clear a set of guidelines as i could ever hope to find - I absolutely, completely, entirely thoroughly and totally INSIST on believing that Buddha, Siddarta Gauthama, Shakyamuni - was as real, and as living, and as breathing, and as exisiting as I am now.

So there.
    edited November 2005
    Hi all...

I thought I should just clarify things...

I wasn't stating that Gotama Siddartha did not exist. I'm not stating that he never became enlightened. I'm really not stating anything. I'm just bringing up a topic to get people thinking about what Buddhism is to them.

I know what it means to me.

But, I have read posts and threads here which lead me to believe (including some of my own posts) that authenticity is critical regarding Buddhism. And that Buddhism might not be the or "a" right way?

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2005
    All,

While I agree with aspects of both points of view, I find that the proof is right before our eyes. All one needs to do is practice sincerely for a short while and you will have your evidence - evidence that cannot be refuted by anyone else because you have experienced it for yourself.

What if you were to learn that Albert Einstein never existed, or that he wasn't the real man behind the discovery of E=mc²? Would E=mc² not be useful anymore? Would that change your ideas about the world or how you live your life?

Just think about that for a moment.

How often do we associate the name Einstein with E=mc²?

We cling to the idea don't we?

What really, truly matters in Buddhism is that you can test these teachings out for yourself. If you devote a few years to reading the teachings and meditation you will see a difference. You will have some small level of 'insight'. You will have your proof. Whether a man named Gotama first discovered these wonderful ways of skillful living and meditation or not doesn't take away from their value. If after a few years of practicing you don't notice any difference at all, or no new understandings about life in general, then simply let it go and move on to something else. It's just that simple. That is why I admire it so much. If you find that it does not fits into your life, it's ok to just put it down! No questions asked!

As for science, look up all the studies that deal with meditation. In one you might find that the people who meditate are much happier and have lower stress levels, and in another you will find that certain parts of the brain might increase in mass due to meditation... really.

The bottom line is, Buddhism doesn't offer you heaven, complete knowledge of the entire universe, or a one-on-one ocnversation with "God". It only offers one thing: The understanding of dukkha, and the subsequent cessation of dukkha. For some people that is all they need.

:)

Jason
    edited November 2005
    Yeah!

What he said!

-bf
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

Where would that put you with your beliefs? If you knew for a fact that Buddha never lived?
    -bf

Ah, my friend, I see you subscribe to my fellah Nick's policy when placed on the back foot....

"Deny, deny, deny!!" post-771-1122354339.gifpost-771-1122354339.gifpost-771-1122354339.gif
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Hmm... Who said that I never existed? I AM BUDDHA 4.1!!!

OK this is not a funny joke at all, but heck, no Buddhas? We can create Buddhas out of ourselves!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    NEWS FLASH!!!! Buddhafoot never existed!
    edited November 2005
    True.

I'm just a figment of your imagination, Palzang.

Just like last night when I showed up in your dreams to torment you. Although, with it being just a dream, I can't figure out why you kept dreaming of me in a meter maid uniform rolling a giant doughnut with a stick down a street full of mimes.

I was the one that actually got creeped out last night. Keep your requests to yourself when I'm tormenting you.

-bf
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Darn! You weren't supposed to tell anybody about the meter maid fantasy!

:o

Palzang
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2005
    That's actually one reason I really like Buddhism; it really isn't about a person. As a wise person once told me, you can take the Buddha out of Buddhism and nothing would change. :)
    edited November 2005
    I believe that if you take Buddha out of Buddhism - you just have Ism.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    After reading the reply's to this post I think most people here agree with me. I would like to add one thing though. If The Buddha never existed why would anyone make him up? They did it to help people live their lives peacefully. As far as I know there is nothing within the Buddhism faith or history to suggest otherwise.

Now lets flip it. If God and/or Jesus never existed why would anyone make that up? I'm sure some of it does have to do with helping people live thier lives peacefully. However, there is another part of it. They also did it for power. If you look back in history you will find that the Catholic Churches had a lot of power not only over people's lives but over the goverment. Which is why within the US Consitution there is a seperation between the goverment and churches.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    jovock wrote:
    After reading the reply's to this post I think most people here agree with me. I would like to add one thing though. If The Buddha never existed why would anyone make him up? They did it to help people live their lives peacefully. As far as I know there is nothing within the Buddhism faith or history to suggest otherwise.

Now lets flip it. If God and/or Jesus never existed why would anyone make that up? I'm sure some of it does have to do with helping people live thier lives peacefully. However, there is another part of it. They also did it for power. If you look back in history you will find that the Catholic Churches had a lot of power not only over people's lives but over the goverment. Which is why within the US Consitution there is a seperation between the goverment and churches.

Don't let the fundamentalist xtians know that. They think all the writers of the constitution believed the way they do.
    edited November 2005
    jovock wrote:

Why would people make that kind of stuff up?

Why did people make up Santa Claus?
    Why did people make up the Easter Bunny?
    Why did people make up vampires and werewolves and ghosts?
    Why did people make up that there are alligators living in the sewers of New York?
    Why do people make up things in Africa like "The only way for a man to get rid of AIDS is to have sex with a virgin girl."

Like you stated later in your post - some people make up things to control other people. Some of it's made up just for complete nonsense. Some of it is made up to help ease suffering (through illusion) or comfort.

-bf

Who knows why people make things up.
  • edited November 2005
    If Buddha didn't exist, I don't think that would change anything at all...because that's pretty much how I view Buddhism now anyway. I don't know if he actually existed.

There's absolutely no way I could know that.

It's completely irrelevant to following a path. It's all trial-n-error. Just get on the path and start walking, see where it leads. It may take you somewhere, it may take you nowhere. Maybe it's not supposed to take you anywhere. Maybe just taking it IS the point. I don't know.

It's irrelevant who found the path. At least we know about it, and I appreciate that.

:thumbsup:
    edited November 2005
    If Buddha didn't exist, I don't think that would change anything at all...because that's pretty much how I view Buddhism now anyway. I don't know if he actually existed.

There's absolutely no way I could know that.

It's completely irrelevant to following a path. It's all trial-n-error. Just get on the path and start walking, see where it leads. It may take you somewhere, it may take you nowhere. Maybe it's not supposed to take you anywhere. Maybe just taking it IS the point. I don't know.

It's irrelevant who found the path. At least we know about it, and I appreciate that.

:thumbsup:

I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here...

But if he didn't exist - and his "enlightenment" is just a fairy tale that was made up by some people - how do we know what we are practicing has the end results we are looking for? What if meditation and following these practices end up in ... nothing?

-bf
    edited November 2005
    The results surely speak for themselves....
    If we know that to put our hand in a flame burns us, we don't repeat it.
    Similarly, if something brings us good, beneficial, satisfactory and pleasing results, we decide that it brings us advantages - and we repeat it.
    It is useless sometimes to dwell on the hypothetical -
    As the saying goes:
    "It little matters whether Heaven exists or not. The important thing is, to live life as if it did."
    edited November 2005
    Behind yuour question, BF, is the lurking Christian myth of Heaven. Enlightenment is not something 'other' or 'elsewhere', just as waking up is part of daily life.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Why would people make that kind of stuff up?

Why did people make up Santa Claus?
    Why did people make up the Easter Bunny?
    Why did people make up vampires and werewolves and ghosts?
    Why did people make up that there are alligators living in the sewers of New York?
    Why do people make up things in Africa like "The only way for a man to get rid of AIDS is to have sex with a virgin girl."

Like you stated later in your post - some people make up things to control other people. Some of it's made up just for complete nonsense. Some of it is made up to help ease suffering (through illusion) or comfort.

-bf

Who knows why people make things up.

Control
    edited November 2005
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

And will the judges accept "Control"....?
    Yes they will, and we have a winner!

-bf
    edited November 2005
    And what drives the need to control? Fear.

And why fear? Ignorance.
  • edited November 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I'm playing the Devil's Advocate here...

But if he didn't exist - and his "enlightenment" is just a fairy tale that was made up by some people - how do we know what we are practicing has the end results we are looking for? What if meditation and following these practices end up in ... nothing?

-bf
    Hmmm...well then I suppose I wouldn't be doing it. But thankfully it does have good results for me. So I practice it. Then again, when I was a child, I believed in Santa Claus, and it had good results for me too. Then I found out Santa was a myth. The good results were then replaced by capitalist-shopping sprees and such. Hmmm...curious.
    edited November 2005
    Well, when you're out on your next capitalist shopping spree, I could do with an all-new state-of-the-art 'V' slicer....! :lol:
  • edited November 2005
    Sorry, I only registered a few days ago so you're getting my views a little late. Buddha was a prince, was he not? Is there not some record? And even if there isn't, we have to trust ourselves, do you truley believe that what you're following is a made-up fairy tale? Do you not trust the teachings? Can you not tell that your beliefs have meaning?
  • edited November 2005
    well someone started the wheel turning & we still find ourselfs with the teachings that we have! and the meanings are still the same, so that should change nothing.....but now you have me thinking:thumbsup: because while looking for the many meanings of Nirvana to try and answer your post, I rediscovered the words " Confucian/Confucianism".... .. "Oh well the many pathes to the top of the mountain"
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Antoher thought on this thread. Are we to be looking for resutls? My understanding of this is that we just "do it" and let things happen as they will be. I try not to think of a premeditated (Yuk, Yuk, but not on purpose) result when I meditate. I just do it and let what happens happen. Most of the times I find it satisfactory but everyday. And that's okay with me. If the Buddha is just a character reference thought up by some people, that's okay. I find that Buddhism is well thought out. A few things that I find mythological are reverent to others. That's the beauty of it. You take what you can from it.
    edited November 2005
    Sangha wrote:
    Sorry, I only registered a few days ago so you're getting my views a little late. Buddha was a prince, was he not? Is there not some record? And even if there isn't, we have to trust ourselves, do you truley believe that what you're following is a made-up fairy tale? Do you not trust the teachings? Can you not tell that your beliefs have meaning?

Sangha...

I'm totally cool with my beliefs.

I was just putting up a thread to see how other people felt. Maybe question your beliefs. Maybe not. :)

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    Sorry, it wasn't directed at you, it was directed at anyone who was so insecure about their beliefs they were willing to believe it (no offense intended, there, I was slightly taken aback by the thread)
    edited November 2005
    Sangha wrote:
    Sorry, it wasn't directed at you, it was directed at anyone who was so insecure about their beliefs they were willing to believe it (no offense intended, there, I was slightly taken aback by the thread)

It's okay.

I have this effect on people.

I'm a bastard :)

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    federica wrote:
    Well, when you're out on your next capitalist shopping spree, I could do with an all-new state-of-the-art 'V' slicer....! :lol:
    Certainly! Would you also like an XBox 360? :D
  • edited November 2005
    I could do with an XBox 360, if you're handing them out!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Certainly! Would you also like an XBox 360? :D

People, people. Let's stop are attachment to things! I mean c'mon. We really need so little in life. But if you are out, I really need a new 40GB MP3 player to put my chants on.
  • edited December 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    ...What if Gotama never existed? I mean, it is a possibility. There were centuries of oral tradition before his teachings were ever written down. Was it possible that during a time of religious unrest in Hinduism that "someone" could have made up these stories?

What if someone "brought" these teachings, that were made up, to the masses and started teaching them? New ideologies and theories about many forms of religious practice have come and gone - some brought along by just one person.

Where would that put you with your beliefs? If you knew for a fact that Buddha never lived? What would that do to your practice? Your belief in Nirvana? Your belief in rebirth and reincarnation?

What would you do? -bf

Good Question!
    The 4 Noble Truths were the first thing I ever read that was "religious" that ever made sense to me, and the 8 Fold Path gave form to the way I've always known I should live. If there was a Buddha, and his true words are still available to me, then that is just icing on the cake my curious friend. The 4 Noble Truths and the 8 Fold Path - whatever their origin - are what I was looking for and are a very elegant expression. Now that I have found them, I'm looking for the nuances within.
  • edited December 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:

What if Christianity or Islam or the worship of RA or any other religion is the "true" religion? What will you do? Is following the teachings of Buddha enough for you in this life and the next?

-bf
    I think that following Buddhism helps anyone to become a better person (more compassionate, not selfish, seeking the truth, etc). I think that anyone that tries to be a better person would not be damned for it if the other religions end up being the "truth." I have had many Christian friends ask if I would rather chance missing out on heaven if their religion is right. I say that if there is a God or some supreme being, no one that strives to be a better person and help and love others will be turned away.
    (Was that clear? I'm not sure if I expressed it right.)
    edited December 2005
    Pinkerton, hello and welcome! I knew you were on line, I was just waiting for you to post!
    Nice to have you aboard,a nd thanks for joining us! ;)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2005

Damm I'd convert immediately!
  • edited December 2005
    federica wrote:
    Pinkerton, hello and welcome! I knew you were on line, I was just waiting for you to post!
    Nice to have you aboard,a nd thanks for joining us! ;)
    Thank you. I love how involved everyone is on this site, posting many interesting topics.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited December 2005
    Pinkerton,
    Good to have you! It's fun being a seeker. You get to ask all those really cool questions that you always wanted to. It's actually what attracted me to Buddhism as the Buddha encouraged it. I've been meditating and reading stuff for about 5 months now and I'm still enjoying the journey. Make the most of it!
  • edited December 2005
    I have been studying Buddhism for over a year now, but when I claim to be Buddhist and people ask me about it I don't feel comfortable enough with my knowledge to tell them. I want to continually learn more. HHDL inspires me and I wish to someday be able to control all of my anger and thoughts.

One question, are there many vegetarians here, or do you believe that eating meat is ok? (I'm vegetarian, but read that many Buddhists aren't anymore)