Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

zen shawl

Hello brothers and sisters,
I would like to know what is the function of the "zen shawl" and which lineages use it and which don't use it, or if it is up to the person to use it independent of the lineage or time of practice. best wishes

Comments

• edited August 2010
    It depends on which "zen" you are referring to.
    post a picture of the shawl you would like to know about.
  • edited August 2010
    Ngala Rig’dzin Dorje
    wearing the traditional zen (shawl)

http://aroencyclopaedia.org/shared/text/n/nrd_ph_12_zen_eng.php
  • edited August 2010
    http://www.fourgates.com/tibetan_indian_clothing/c-zens.html

the one sherab dorje posted is one of the ones I was thinking, and I found this other one like in the picture with the name "meditation shawl". What are their differences and who can or who can't use it? thanks for the replies so far. all the best
  • edited August 2010
    http://www.fourgates.com/tibetan_indian_clothing/c-zens.html

the one sherab dorje posted is one of the ones I was thinking, and I found this other one like in the picture with the name "meditation shawl". What are their differences and who can or who can't use it? thanks for the replies so far. all the best

Anyone can wear the plain maroon one.
    Different sangha's/lineages have different rules regarding the striped Zen. Usually in order to wear one you should at least have your teachers permission. Some sangha's require a complete Troma Nagmo empowerment or some other specific ritual taking of the vows/commitments of a lay tantric practitioner/ngakpa.
    The basic tantric vows are always a requirement to wear the striped zen.
  • edited August 2010
    Thank you so much Shenpen Nangwa it really answered my question, best wishes.
  • edited August 2010
    Thank you so much Shenpen Nangwa it really answered my question, best wishes.

you're welcome
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Anyone can wear the plain maroon one.

I thought it was purely functional, serving to keep the practitioner warm? Isn't this it's main purpose? I didn't know there was a difference between plain and striped, etc.
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    I thought it was purely functional, serving to keep the practitioner warm? Isn't this it's main purpose? I didn't know there was a difference between plain and striped, etc.
    Well, they all can support that function, but the striped shawl is an indicator of the wearer holding a certain set of vows.
    There are similar garments that are worn by lay vow-holders in other traditions as well.
    But the striped zen is unique to the Nyingma, Kagyu, and Sakya lineages of Tibetan Buddhism. Its primarily a Nyingma garment though.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Well, they all can support that function, but the striped shawl is an indicator of the wearer holding a certain set of vows.
    There are similar garments that are worn by lay vow-holders in other traditions as well.
    But the striped zen is unique to the Nyingma, Kagyu, and Sakya lineages of Tibetan Buddhism. Its primarily a Nyingma garment though.

Interesting! I had been thinking of getting a plain one for the upcoming cold months. I have not seen anything aside from the maroon ones, but it's good to know there's a difference.
  • edited August 2010
    mugzy wrote: »
    Interesting! I had been thinking of getting a plain one for the upcoming cold months. I have not seen anything aside from the maroon ones, but it's good to know there's a difference.
    Yup, any color with the exception of the striped or yellow is totally appropriate.
    I have a striped one, but I only wear it on formal occasions or when I am practicing at home and its cold.
  • NgakpaKJTNgakpaKJT Vermont New
    edited December 2018

This is an old thread but I would like to append that in most countries of the Himalyan plateau (ie. Nepal, Bhutan, Sikkim,Tibet, Ladakh) as well as Mongolia, the zen shawl is worn publicly by ordained ngakpas... who have important village roles in support of lamas. They are identified by their robes and sought out in small communities, where they act as a bridge to less-available teachers as well as do the typical work of lay "priests" such as performing marriages, reading bardo thödol for the dying, asking blessings for crops, etc. Their individual ordination is linked to a particular ngakpa-teacher who asks specific samaya and lineage duties of each trained ngakpa.

The robes (including white skirt and upper garment as well as the burgundy & black-striped and mostly-white shawl) also... at least in the U.S... identify specific commitments and availability to help out lamas in teaching situations.

In other words, the zen shawl is not a decoration - it is a publicly and institutionally recognised symbol to identify practitioners with particular skills and training.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

The members in question have not posted or been on forum for some considerable time. I entirely doubt that they would return or have a continued interest... The threads are 8 years old.

The topic has never been discussed since, so the relevance is rather anecdotal, because as far as I am aware, there isn't a single member now, to whom this might apply...

But thanks for the info.

This discussion has been closed.