Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Okay... so I'm having a hard time relating this to Buddhism...

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited December 2005 in Buddhism Today
Okay... so I'm having a hard time relating this to Buddhism...

I know this really has nothing to do with Buddhism.

I'm sure we could state something in regards to the sense of "self" and attachments and labels...but honestly, this doesn't fit into that category.

I honestly don't know where this would fit... but it is an interesting read.

Go Girl Power!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9883851/site/newsweek/

Newsweek Story

-bf

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    .........Is this for real? Because need I tell you who'd get my vote.....?
    No, I'm not sure where it stands in Buddhism either.... other than to consider this week's 'Spoke of the Wheel', RIGHT INTENTION and to ask.... what's her 'motivation'? Better still, what's HIS?
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2005
    Well, I don't believe she has a motivation. She's simply an actor playing the part of the US's first female President.

In real life, she in a very intelligent person. I think her IQ testing put her up in the Wyle E Coyote "Genius" range.

I'm just amazed that our President is so taken with fiction that he's going to these lengths.

Next he'll be challenging Captain Kirk to see who is a better leader.

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Well, that one's easy.... Jean-Luc Picard....
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I saw this elsewhere - I think it's a hoax. Which means Newsweak has egg on their face.

But Bush is losing it? Yes, I believe that.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I think if you go back and take a good look at the Newsweek story, it's clearly marked "Satire" at the top. Does that answer your questions? Not that I think it's a bad idea, mind you...

Palzang
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited November 2005
    Palzang wrote:
    I think if you go back and take a good look at the Newsweek story, it's clearly marked "Satire" at the top.
    Indeed :)
    edited November 2005
    Whew!

Thank goodness.

Sorry... my bad :)

-bf
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I thought the whole piece seemed a little off. I couldn't imagine the Pres having an actual problem with a fictitious work when he has so many more problems to deal with.

For those of you who don't like W, all I'm asking is that you cut him a little slack. Remember that he is presiding over the hardest Presedency since FDR/Truman.
    edited November 2005
    bushinoki wrote:
    For those of you who don't like W, all I'm asking is that you cut him a little slack. Remember that he is presiding over the hardest Presedency since FDR/Truman.

How so?

-bf
    edited November 2005
    Well, there was 9/11, followed by a near collapse of the stock market, which was augmented by the actions of businessmen and politicians well before his election to office, coupled with problems in Afghanistan due to alot of our soldiers being killed by friendly fire, then the war in Iraq, followed by not finding WMD, followed by a very volatile election, and now he has had to nominate two people to the Supreme Court, which has been a volatile situation, he now has the Valerie Plames leak to deal with, and the indictment of Scooter Libby, and possibly Karl Rove down the line.

That list will end up going on until 2008. I'm not saying you have to like him. I don't like him, and I voted for him. But I recognize that he's had a hard term in office, and it's not going to get any easier.
    edited November 2005
    I guess I can find fault with the guy.

He's the President of the United States. That is what he's been paid to do. That's it. If you're going to take the job - you have to realize what is going to be required of you.

There have been presidents that have dealt with the Cold War, Bay Of Pigs, Korean War, WWII, Vietnam War, exile of the Shaw of Iran and Americans being held hostage there, setting up Saddam as one of our "buddies" next door to Iran, riots in LA, War in Bosnia, flooding of the Midwest, earthquakes in San Francisco, earthquakes in LA, tornados, hurricanes, etc.

I just find his lack of "taking responsibility" and lack of "grasping reality" disturbing.

-bf
  • edited November 2005
    I just wonder how much authority the President actually has, it's fair to say that he has many advisers both Political and Military as well as the various inteligence services. I understand where Bushinoki is coming from, given how close the election was, he is always going to have half the Country on his back!

I would always like to think that the President like our Prime Minister governs by consensus with his Political colleagues, however they also want to appear to be strong leaders in their own right.....very difficult job not for the fainthearted!
    edited November 2005
    I've always had this thought that:

By the time someone gets to the point where they've become the President of the US - they've made so many deals, so many concessions, so many political arrangements - that they don't own themselves anymore. They have so much payback to special interest groups or supporters that it's impossible for them to do exactly what they would want to do.

Must be the "conspiracy theorist" in me.

-bf
    edited November 2005
    Bf, I'm not going to disagree with that last statement. It is far too true in modern politics.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2005
    I think you are absolutely right, BF. It is the penalty we pay for having politicians as Heads of State. Nobody has yet accepted my suggestion that a new Head of State should be chosen by lot from among the whole population, serve without pay and (probably) be sacrificed at the Spring equinox!
    edited November 2005
    serve without pay and (probably) be sacrificed at the Spring equinox!

I think you'd either get:

1) Someone REALLY concerned with their country.
    2) Ex-wives electing their ex-husbands (especially for the sacrifice part)
    3) Manic-Depressives on the non-manic cycle

applying for office.

-bf

P.S. I realize that I've probably pissed off everyone on this site that has clinical depression and my crass remarks. Please PM me your retorts and threats - I deserve it. :)
    edited November 2005
    You misunderstand, BF. Nobody may stand or be proposed for election. It would be a random, blind choice! Could be you, next year!!!
    edited November 2005
    Oh... I didn't misunderstand, Simon.

I just took what you said and then blindly ran off with my own interpretation completely ignoring most of what you had said :)

A problem I have.

-bf
    edited November 2005
    Of course, there would have to be a few other changes to society, to go along with an annually sacrificed random Head of State but it used to work.
    edited November 2005
    Simon, why not go with the easy compromise, we continue to elect our leaders, but if too much pandering to special interests can be found by a panel of retired judges, he is tried for treason, then sacrificed. One hanging and the rest of our presidents would behave themselves.
    edited November 2005
    bushinoki wrote:
    Simon, why not go with the easy compromise, we continue to elect our leaders, but if too much pandering to special interests can be found by a panel of retired judges, he is tried for treason, then sacrificed. One hanging and the rest of our presidents would behave themselves.

Pour encourager les autres! :cheer:
    edited November 2005
    After all, we had to execute one Head of State and exile another before we got any form of competent government. But the lessons get forgotten: Tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse!
  • edited December 2005
    Speaking of our current President...whom I really do not like....if there is anyone on here that DOES like him and voted for him, could you please give me SOME reason as to why I should like him?? I really just can't find any good reason to like the guy and it bothers me! And I am being serious....if someone can give me some good things he has done for our country, I am all ears!
    edited December 2005
    I'm going to give you one word why you should like him:

Strategery.

-bf
    edited December 2005
    After all, we had to execute one Head of State and exile another before we got any form of competent government. But the lessons get forgotten: Tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse!

"He who touts least, touts lasse."

-bf
    edited December 2005
    I don't LIKE our current Pres, but when it came to his opponent, I really didn't like him, and none of the third party candidates were strong enough to take the election.

I didn't like John Kerry because he originally voted for the war, then attempted to use the war's sinking popularity for political gain, and presented no other platform on which to elect him, not to mention being far too liberal otherwise.
  • edited December 2005
    Far too liberal lol.
  • edited December 2005
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I'm going to give you one word why you should like him:

Strategery.

-bf

And these two are my favorites:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

"You're doing a heck of a job, Brownie"

I could go on and on........
  • edited December 2005
    "The future will be better tomorrow."

- G W Bush
    edited December 2005
    "The future will be better tomorrow."

- G W Bush

Aman.

-bf
    edited December 2005
    "The trouble with the French, is that they don't have a word for 'Entrepreneur'...."
    edited December 2005
    federica wrote:
    "The trouble with the French, is that they don't have a word for 'Entrepreneur'...."

I love that one.

I'll have to start using that...

-bf
  • edited December 2005
    He REALLY said that???!!! Unbelievable!