Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zafu Purchase

skullchinskullchin Veteran
edited January 2010 in Meditation
Quick questions about buying a zafu:

1. Where is the best place to buy (online)?
2. How much should I spend?
3. Kapok or buckwheat?

Comments

• specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010
    No clue personally, but I'm interested to hear other's input.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I've always liked Samadhi Cushions. They're relatively reasonable compared to other people who sell them, they're good quality, you're supporting fellow Buddhists who make them, and they have a nice color selection. I kind of prefer buckwheat, though that's pretty much a personal preference. As to cost, I wouldn't pay too much. Samadhi has buckwheat ones for $54.00 or kapok for $49.00. They also have the half-moon style zafus which I think give you more leg support for the same prices.

Palzang
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Palzang! :)

BTW, are there any opinions out there about Dharma Crafts?
    http://www.dharmacrafts.com/100xZA/Zafu.html
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I've also done business with them in the past. They're an old, well-established company with good products. I've never tried one of their zafus, but I would expect they would also be good. There are actually lots of places you can get good zafus and zabutons these days.

Palzang
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I've bought from Carolina Morning Designs, but have also heard and seen some high quality products from

Still Sitting
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited January 2010
    After thinking about it, is it worth it to spend $50+ on something that is essentially a pillow? Right now I'm just folding a normal pillow in half, maybe I should just keep doing this...?
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited January 2010
    I got my wife interested in making me one. She is supportive enough to make one for me, but when I mentioned that she could actually sell them if she enjoyed making it, she disagreed with me. According to her it would cost nearly $50 in materials to make one, so you wouldn't be making them for much, if any, profit.

I didn't agree with her about the price estimate on materials. But you choose your battles, so I smiled and said "yes dear."
  • edited January 2010
    i'm a kapok man myself.
    i have had the same cushion for a decade. its a bit beat up but still durable and comfortable.
  • edited January 2010
    skullchin wrote: »
    After thinking about it, is it worth it to spend $50+ on something that is essentially a pillow? Right now I'm just folding a normal pillow in half, maybe I should just keep doing this...?
    what would buddha do? ja ja ja ja
    i'm sure it's fine, i use small pillows, the most important thing is your spine is straight and your body is even and balanced, and you have enough comfort to allow you to practice. siddharta just sat on the grass didn't he? good old sid.
  • Update on this thread: Someone bought me a kapok zafu from dharmacrafts and I am very pleased with it. I would recommend them to anyone else interested. Also, I find it easier to meditate now that I have one cushion dedicated to the task. Don't know why that is but it seems to be the case.
  • Bought mine from Dharmacrafts and have been very happy with it. The only down side is that you have to rip open the stitching, take the buckwheat hulls out (messy, so be careful), wash the covering, then (carefully) put the hulls back in and re-stitch. Kind of a pain, but it worked. They really need to put a separate bag for the filling so you could remove and wash the cover by itself.

• It probably just sits there and reminds you that you need to . . . um . . . sit there :)

Everyone needs someone, or something, to be held accountable to.
  • Hi!
    First -- I work at DharmaCrafts, just thought you should know! :-). Our buckwheat zafus now have zippered covers so that you can wash them easily! With regard to kapok versus buckwheat -- from my experience, it's REALLY personal and can depend on your body type and flexibility. If you're a bit taller, and less flexible, you might like the extra support and height that the kapok zafu provides. But, beware, because we hand-stuff them (in Massachusetts, BTW), they do require a break-in period. With that said, we sell 3 or 4 times as many buckwheat zafus. Thank you!
  • Namaste brothers and sisters... anyone in the UK able to recommend a good place to buy a zafu?
  • DharmaCrafts is on line. Here is a link to their selection of Zafus
    http://www.dharmacrafts.com/100xZA/Zafu.html

:om:
  • Is it UK Based and would you recommend it?
  • No and yes
  • Dazron,

FWBO in East London have a shop, high street Bethnal Green near the fire station.

Matthew
  • edited December 2010
    Thanks TIB. I wonder if they do mail order / online?

• For several years I just used a folded towel with a thin, decorative sofa cushion on top.

Recently, I tried a buckwheat zafu and was hooked -- its ability to adjust height and reshape to the body while staying firm are key qualities. I could also feel some of my weight being reallocated more to my tailbone and less on my butt, which I think is a good thing.

Anyone ever use crescent cushions?