Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who are you?

2»

Comments

• I saw the latest Tron film on Friday. The designer of the grid has taken up Zen to deal with the excesses of his alter ego Clu. At one point he says 'The only way to win is not to play.' which I assume one of the writers has heard in Buddhist circles. Sounds profound but is it helpful? If we don't play by constructing a self are we then closer to 'winning' - i.e. less suffering?
  • edited December 2010
    I'm a little bit of Mind encapsulated in one bubble on endless roll of bubble wrap.

I have the entire bubble to explore and never feel lonely or purposeless because I'm connected to all other bubbles.

Your excellent "Who do you think you are?
    The body?
    Sensations?
    Emotions?
    Thoughts? " Question?

Because it's all language-based, no matter how easy or difficult the question - all answers will always be contained in our bubbles.

That feels good for now.

• I saw the latest Tron film on Friday. The designer of the grid has taken up Zen to deal with the excesses of his alter ego Clu. At one point he says 'The only way to win is not to play.' which I assume one of the writers has heard in Buddhist circles. Sounds profound but is it helpful? If we don't play by constructing a self are we then closer to 'winning' - i.e. less suffering?
    Ha cool! Yeah, makes sense because if one realizes that phenomena are non-self then who suffers? It's just phenomena taking place. No one's playing the seeking game anymore. (Whether is seeking for spiritual enlightenment or more money, experiences, truth) .. It's all the same. The seeking stops when it's seen the seeker isn't there in the first place! Tee hee.
  • I'm a little bit of Mind encapsulated in one bubble on endless roll of bubble wrap.

I have the entire bubble to explore and never feel lonely or purposeless because I'm connected to all other bubbles.

Your excellent "Who do you think you are?
    The body?
    Sensations?
    Emotions?
    Thoughts? " Question?

Because it's all language-based, no matter how easy or difficult the question - all answers will always be contained in our bubbles.

That feels good for now.

Haha yup. No absolute verifiable answers.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    This forum can be filled to the brim with knowledge and practices, essentially loads of things to do and think about. However, does anybody here actually know who they are?

Who do you think you are?
    The body?
    Sensations?
    Emotions?
    Thoughts?

If you do think you're something or other do you know this for certain? It seems to me it's better to answer this fundamental question. Perhaps it's here where suffering originates and can be seen through. Because [B]who suffers[/B]?
    I'm a thing living inside my head, coordinating my own body, perceiving sensations, feeling different emotions, and create chaotical thoughts. At least that is the feeling I get when I ask myself this question.

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited December 2010
    So in regards to suffering, who is that thing living inside your head? Does it suffer or is it just a logic mechanism of the living organism needed to help it survive?

• NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    So in regards to suffering, who is that thing living inside your head? Does it suffer or is it just a logic mechanism of the living organism needed to help it survive?

Don't know...it's just a hollow version of me at first sight. It's like an unseen thing that controls nearly everything around it.

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited December 2010
    Thinking just seems like just another survival mechanism to me. Quite useful! .. :)