Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you sit on when you meditate?

laughing_statuelaughing_statue Explorer
edited January 2011 in Meditation
I'm trying to get myself into the habit of meditating in the same spot and/or on the same thing. I've meditated on my bed. I have a new yoga mat that I was considering using. But I also own a floor pillow that might be comfortable. What do you sit on or suggest?

Comments

• I use two pillows stacked up on top of each other lol. a little unorthodox, but it gets the job done since i don't have a meditation cushion.
  • A chair
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    I also use a chair.
  • I use the black zafu/zabuton set I bought here when it was on sale:

http://www.samadhicushions.com/

My only problem is that I'm not the only one who likes to "sit" on them. My white-haired cat BOB likes to as well. :lol: I don't think I need to tell you what usually happens next.

Oddly enough, about the time I got my set in, I found sewing patterns for both cushions. So my next set --if ever -- may end up being hand sewn by yours truly.
  • aHappyNihilistaHappyNihilist Veteran
    edited January 2011
    my butt and when i say my butt i don't mean to imply you should sit on my butt.
  • I usually sit on a zafu/zabuton set. I prefer buckwheat over kapok, it helps with circulation to my legs. Recently, I have found the need to use a meditation bench for retreats of a half-day or longer. Another concession to the aging process.
  • grass, with a tree as shade... if not, "the floor"?
  • I'm probably the odd one out... I just sit up on my bed as I meditate.

Some day I may get something for meditating... Until then either the bed or floor is good for me :)
  • Okay. Awesome. Thanks you guys! Those zafu/zabuton sets look simply amazing. I will lock those away and invest in them in a few years most likely. lol! There is so much variety with what everyone uses. I think I will stick with a floor pillow for now.
  • I actually lay down, corpse position.

....but I have a very difficult time falling asleep normally, otherwise I'd probably have to sit up.

• Buckwheat zafu on top of a double-folded yoga mat. (I have hardwood floors. If I had carpet, I probably wouldn't use any mat.)

I used to use a sofa pillow on top of a tightly folded bath towel (to raise the pillow higher) for several years, but when I first tried buckwheat I was hooked -- I like the way it conforms to the body while being firm and stable, and I also like how you can adjust its height and shape by moving around the buckwheat.

If you have the spare cash, I highly recommend getting a buckwheat zafu.

As for your floor pillow, I don't know how high it is, but you might want to experiment with adding more height by putting a folded towel underneath it. More height tends to push the hips forward and pull the shoulders back. I realized I needed to add more height to my pillow because I was gravitating to the slouching position.
  • I just use a freaking couch or bed. I also wrap a blanket over myself like a robe, it soothes me. :D
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    My arse. I have a meditation cushion but I rarely use it.

In metta,
    Raven
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/Buckwheat-Zabuton-Meditation-Cushion-Black/dp/B000GOAEH4

:)

However, I did not purchase them. I made them myself. There are instructions on the internet on how to make them yourself. If cost is an issue, it's much cheaper to make your own.
  • I sit on a couch cushion or without anything on a hardwood floor.
  • I sit in a slightly reclined chair.
  • Hello.

I sit on two pillows when meditating in the floor. But when i want to meditate longer i use the chair.
  • i just sit on the floor.
  • I used to have one of those little stools, which I bought from a carpenter online. But with my joint condition I can't use it safely so I just sit on an upright chair, or when worse comes to worse, lying in bed.

It is much easier to meditate in a more traditional position, which is why I'd encourage it, but try different methods until you find what suits you. I found it took a long time to learn to meditate lying down or sitting up in bed, without sleeping. Using a zafu cushion or meditation stool was much easier.
  • I have a inflateable Zafu type cusion the GF got in a meditation set a few years back she does not use. I put that on a big cushion/pillow.

It's my makeshift zafu/zabaton setup.

Once I get my Buddha altar finished in a month or so, I plan to start saving up for a nice zafu/zabaton set.
  • Zhang Jia Khutukhtu was a Buddhist leader in inner Mongolia. The 19th Zhang Jia Khutukhtu sit on Om Mani Padme Hum.
    http://www.highestbuddhistmasters.org/english/egelug.html
  • I sit on a throw pillow from the couch that I've set aside just for this purpose. And I sit on the floor in my bedroom facing east. I don't know why. I just wanted to face where the sun comes up. The sun is awesome!
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2011
    A dependent arising that for this moment in time which I, that is also a dependent arising at this moment in time, call a chair!!! :)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    2 folded blankets.

This is my little meditation area in the corner of my room. The White and blue thing is just a folded blanket that I sit on and the bright red blanket is something I use to cover myself with. (It's cold here)