Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The sun rises two days early in Greenland, sparking fears that climate change is accelerating....

Comments

• Many think human caused climate changes are a hoax. Many think they are natural. A few think they are HAARP. What do you think?
  • Humans could not cause the sun to change which is based on the axis of the earth tilt and the duration of the orbit of the earth. This is not based on rationality.
  • It's already too late. Back in the 1960's it was predicted that the climate would begin to heat up exponentially, when it got to the point that forest fires were more frequent (further heating the atmosphere and contributing to CO2), arctic permafrost began to melt, releasing methane gas trapped below the surface, etc. And those processes have already begun. But there are other processes at work, as well. If a large chunk of the Greenland ice sheet calves into the North Pacific, it could change the ocean currents and cause a mini-ice age. Parts of Antarctica are actually getting colder, even as coastal areas there are losing ice at record speeds. It doesn't mean there isn't global warming; it means weather is a very complex phenomenon.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I wonder what Rush Limbaugh has to say?
  • I wonder what Rush Limbaugh has to say?
    The only thing about which I could care less than what Rush Limbaugh has to say would be what Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck, or any of their ilk have to say. :)

• The term "global warming" is a media term, not a scientific term. Scientists have always known that global climate change does not mean that every point on the planet will get warmer. Quite the opposite. The British Isles and much of northwest Europe will probably be considerably colder when and if the Gulf Stream slows or stops due to ocean heating. Their true sub-arctic nature will be allowed to come through. And the current cold/snowy snap in Europe and North America is simply a momentary blip in an otherwise steady warming trend. It comes after the warmest year on record worldwide. And the melting of the arctic ice cap is having effects that couldn't have been predicted even a few years ago. There are oscillations in currents in the Arctic Ocean and the Atlantic that have major impacts on weather across North America and Europe. The Arctic Oscillation has been deeply negative for longer than ever recorded in recent months. Nobody really knows the why or the effects from that, although it is clear that it is contributing at least somewhat to the cold and snowy conditions this winter.

All this is far, FAR more complex than the tiny minds of the climate change deniers are capable of comprehending. Climate scientists with arrays of super computers are having a tough time with it.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited January 2011
    The official scientific name is Global Climate Change... "Annihilation by Water" is still my guess.
    It's already too late. Back in the 1960's it was predicted that the climate would begin to heat up exponentially, when it got to the point that forest fires were more frequent (further heating the atmosphere and contributing to CO2), arctic permafrost began to melt, releasing methane gas trapped below the surface, etc. And those processes have already begun. But there are other processes at work, as well. If a large chunk of the Greenland ice sheet calves into the North Pacific, it could change the ocean currents and cause a mini-ice age. Parts of Antarctica are actually getting colder, even as coastal areas there are losing ice at record speeds. It doesn't mean there isn't global warming; it means weather is a very complex phenomenon.
  • Typical Daily Mail. The reality is hidden away from the nonsense headline:
    He said as the ice sinks, so to does the horizon, creating the illusion that the sun has risen early.
    The sun does not 'rise' now does it?
  • Sunrise is a colloquial term meaning that to the observer the sun 'appears' over the horizon. If the horizon is lower then the sun will be visible sooner.

But you knew that already. ;)
  • Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Or go to Lincolnshire and see a 'big sky'. Scary, if you grew up among hills or mountains or, indeed, in towns.
  • Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay.
    "One great big festering neon distraction,
    I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim."

:D

...or make a boat?

• All this is far, FAR more complex than the tiny minds of the climate change deniers are capable of comprehending. Climate scientists with arrays of super computers are having a tough time with it.

• So, therefore, the "giant minds" of the climate change asserters and their super computers (we "deniers" should get one of those dang things) likewise have trouble comprehending the issue. But you KNOW what is really wrong I guess Mountain, and how to fix it. My "tiny mind" can rest easy with your surety . I'll let you tell the Chinese to forget about ice boxes and cars until you have solved this global crisis. How long will this take, if you do not mind me asking? I am guessing about as long as any Ice Age or similar global climate flux you might choose to tackle... Keep me posted, I want to go to Hawaii next summer and prefer my beach front hotels above water. Glad you are on the job.
  • Many think human caused climate changes are a hoax. Many think they are natural. A few think they are HAARP. What do you think?
    human greed and hate caused climate chages

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited January 2011
    ...a samyak (complete) buddha (awakened) bodhisattva (one whose essence is perfect knowledge) has a better chance to solve the global climate change scientific problem... than all unenlightened scientists with their HYPER-MEGA clustered Computing Nodes.
  • Vincenzi, I kinda get what you are saying but I would need convincing.

Scientists, and I include myself as such, generally attempt to solve theoretical problems with hypothesis testing. I'm not sure if the mind has the capacity to solve such questions as global warming when travelling the path to enlightenment.

To avoid global warming, everyone of us must play our part. Unfortunately, that may mean eliminating greed, capitalist economics, consumerism and mass CO2 generation. Technology may provide solutions in the short term but unless we colonise space, its probably a lost cause.

Still, nothing is permanent, including earth but following the path to enlightenment can only be of benefit as long as we continue to live :)
  • There are many, many good reasons to limit our consumption of resources. It is not just about climate change.

Although I try and play my part in caring for the environment, including political campaigning, along with Spock I believe that it is a lost cause. So many are greedy, selfish and deluded - and I include myself in that group.
  • edited January 2011
    Many think human caused climate changes are a hoax. Many think they are natural. A few think they are HAARP. What do you think?
    According Buddha Sakyamuni is the mind/heart. And it has scientifically endorsed and proven from the experiment carried out by Dr Emoto on the polluted Lake Biwa:

Substances in nature, like water, respond to our human thoughts. They can accept our thoughts to change their condition and quality. Our thoughts have an effect on the world around us. If we send out thoughts and feelings that are filled with fear, anger, or negativity, we are contributing to the destruction of the universe. If we emit thoughts of love, kindness, and beauty, we are contributing to the creation of a beautiful world. This is what water crystals reveal.

Another demonstration of the power of thought to influence the natural world occurred at Lake Biwa in a part of Japan called Shiga. The waters of Lake Biwa had become quite polluted. Every summer, the surface of the lake would be covered with a species of aquatic plant called Kokanada Algae. When the algae would putrefy, it created a very bad odor. For twenty years in a row, the local government had a large-scale operation in place to remove all the algae. Then, one summer, the aquatic plant hardly emerged at all. Nobody could explain why the Kokanada had not returned. What they didn’t know until later was that I had led a group of 350 people to that lake to pray. As the rising sun came up, we assembled by the shore and faced the surface of the lake. Praying together, we spoke the following chant out loud ten times: “The eternal power of the universe has gathered itself to create a world with true and grand harmony.”

A powerful statement infused with the eternal energy of the universe, this chant spreads the energy to our surroundings and penetrates them with healing intent. By requesting harmony in our thoughts, we transformed the surface of the lake into a clean state. Our thoughts and prayers not only curbed the very bad smelling aquatic plant and changed the quality of the water; the quality of the grasses surrounding the lake also changed. Vocalizing this declaration, we influenced the natural world, resulting in greater happiness, peace, and the fulfillment of many wishes. I believe that vocalizing our intent in this way can also help us to actualize world peace.

What we have seen in our experiments again and again is that praying produces a beautiful pattern in water. The effect, which is almost immediate, does not depend on whether one is a high-ranking monk or a preacher. When people are pure-minded—when they have what I call “a very good mind”—their prayers create crystals that are beautiful and clear. In general, we see the most beautiful crystals appear in response to the prayers of little children. The crystals that form as a result of prayers spoken by children are much more beautiful than that of the adults.

http://www.healingtheheartoftheworld.com/HHW_Emoto.pdf. :D
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I want to believe the Emoto water experiments but someone said they weren't really proved so I don't know.