Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What should you do when you're jealous of your best friend's beauty?

edited January 2011 in General Banter
I'm finding myself so jealous and hateful inside towards my best friend

Comments

• Beauty fades and our judgment of what is beautiful changes, not that it's the same from person to person in the first place. Imagine your friend at 80 years old, or envision them as a decaying corpse. Why hate your friend for something that they have no control over? Might as well hate the sun because you don't like the morning.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Don't be jealous. Why be? Whats the point? Sure, society is unfair to people who they deem as the unbeautiful people, but why let that get to you? Be your own person! Don't let this false vision of beauty get to you! You don't need to be physically attractive to be happy, or even truly beautiful. Beauty is all a lie, a pointless lie. Don't give in to the pressure.
  • How can you be more beautiful than your friend? Be more kind, generous and loving. Inner beauty does not age, the body does.
  • edited January 2011
    If most people would not use their eyes of beauty to see, more likely is that they would vomit to death.
    http://planetsmilies.net/vomit-smiley-9532.gif

One useful contemplation for an equal beauty is to look beneath the skin of yourself and your friend :eek:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I think you need to be a bit more specific. Also, how old are you, blu?

• I'm finding myself so jealous and hateful inside towards my best friend

• edited January 2011
    Kill him/her. It's the only way.

Don't really...I don't know why I felt compelled to say that...it was a joke...please, no murder.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Jelousy makes you ugly. It also has profound karmic implications so we should always watch our mind carefully to avoid such negative minds as in the future they can cause great suffering one such story is of Upala the nun whom suffered terribly in her life because of past actions of jelousy.
    Having a beautiful form is the result of having previously practised patiences so one should rejoice in such a persons good fortune instead of being jelous...Rejoicing is such a better practise then falling prey to delusion. :)
  • TheJourney.
    You might have felt compelled to say that to show OP the absurdity of these jealous and hateful feelings through humor. But maybe not. :)
  • TheJourney.
    You might have felt compelled to say that to show OP the absurdity of these jealous and hateful feelings through humor. But maybe not. :)
    I believe that is it! :)
    Everything will pass. We are all going to die someday.

• Not sure how telling him he'll die is helpful in this situation, but we all have our own approach. lol.
  • DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I mean in general. Everyone will and physical appearance will :)

I stopped myself from giving an opinion, right on the cusp of "you're a snowflake", and just thought of what is.

• The truth is that it is not possible to be ugly or anything other than what you should be. It's just whether or not you can accept that.
    The truth is that it is not possible to be ugly or anything other than what you should be. It's just whether or not you can accept that.
    Accepting Jelousy and other minds that cause suffering isnt a good idea. The purpose of Buddhadharma is to reject these Delusions that cause us suffering. No good will ever come from being a pacifist against these uncontrolled minds only more suffering. :(
  • DeformedDeformed Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Ahhhcceptance. It's quite a relief.

Growing up, I always felt I was too skinny. Looking at relatives now who were as skinny as I, will I be "too chunky" or "too old looking" in the future? :)

• The truth is that it is not possible to be ugly or anything other than what you should be. It's just whether or not you can accept that.
    Accepting Jelousy and other minds that cause suffering isnt a good idea. The purpose of Buddhadharma is to reject these Delusions that cause us suffering. No good will ever come from being a pacifist against these uncontrolled minds only more suffering. :(
    saywhat?
  • Are you wishing you could be him/her? Or possess his/her beauty? I'm no raving beauty, but I rather enjoy being in the company of beautiful people. Probably not healthy from a Buddhist perspective, but I try not to wish I were them or that they were ugly or anything. Physical human beauty, just like beauty in an animal or a piece of art, is something to be admired and cherished - while it lasts. Everything fades (but don't you hate those really attractive older people anyway?).

Of course, you could always just find some ugly friends :)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited January 2011
    the buddha taught the antidote to jealously or envy is mudita

mudita is translated into english as sympathetic or appreciative joy

it means to be happy for the happiness or good fortune of others

the meditation on mudita generally expresses itself as follows:

"May all beings not be parted from their good fortune"

it follows, if we believe a friend is beautiful, we should think: "May she/he not be parted from their good fortune"

we should be try to be happy for them

such a practise can beautify our mind

both mentally & physically, we can become a more beautiful & radiant person through the practise of mudita

beauty is an attractive quality. even the buddha taught this. for example, the buddha taught a woman has three powers, namely, physical beauty, economic wealth and good character

the buddha said if a woman has these three powers, in terms of worldly standards, she has everything

but the buddha taught if a woman has physical beauty & economic wealth but does not have good character, good people will not want to associate with her

for example, often we see famous movie stars always having continuous relationship breakdowns & other very serious problems. this is because they have physical beauty & economic wealth but they do not have good character

where as, if a woman does not have physical beauty & economic wealth but does have good character, the Buddha taught good people will still want to associate with her

so the Buddha taught mental beauty (good character) is more beneficial than physical beauty

we can develop mental beauty via the practise of mudita

"I am happy for your happiness, I am pleased for your success, May you not be parted from your good fortune"

kind regards

:)
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Beauty fades in time. Just look in the mirror, and around you...
  • The practice of Mudita is excellent advice. It has helped me to deal with others' good health, wealth and fortune.

metta
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    29, eh?

I thought maybe you might still have been below 20.
    Don't know why.... I just got the impression it seemed a bit "emotionally immature", but in an adolescent girl this would be understandable.
    But you're an adult, so that's a bit more difficult to understand....

So now I would ask:

How long have you been feeling like this?
    Why, what triggered it?
    Do they know, or have any idea?
    How long have you been studying/practising Buddhism?
    What have you read/learnt that has helped you in any way?

• edited January 2011
    . Physical human beauty, just like beauty in an animal or a piece of art, is something to be admired and cherished - while it lasts.
    Admire and cherish physical beauty? Aren't we supposed to be practicing non-attachment to that sort of thing? Aren't we supposed to be practicing neutrality, neither attraction nor aversion? Hello?

Focus on the qualities you like about your friend, the aspects of character that are attractive to you. The rest is window-dressing.

Maybe you should get over it and be grateful for being healthy and living in a country where you don't worry where your next meal is coming from?
    Maybe you should get over it and be grateful for being healthy and living in a country where you don't worry where your next meal is coming from?
    Maybe you should take other people more serious and not think that their thoughts and worries are petty and somehow beneath yours?

• Maybe you should take other people more serious and not think that their thoughts and worries are petty and somehow beneath yours?

That was uncalled for. Just because I am sharp with someone doesn't mean I don't care or think their worries are beneath me. But it does mean I don't believe in patronising them, or encouraging them to pay attention to negative thoughts that do no one any good.

• GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2011
    One teaching that I've found helpful is the concept of "conceit" as defined by the Buddha. There are three kinds of conceit:

1.) believing yourself to be superior to another
    2.) believing yourself to be inferior to another
    3.) believing yourself to be equal to another

That last one made me take pause. We usually try to immunize ourselves from feelings of insecurity by adopting a "we're all equal" attitude. But if that's also a form of misguided conceit, what's the alternative? The alternative is to realize that all the criteria we use to define ourselves in relation to others is meaningless in the face of what's really important. All comparisons fall apart in the face of the reality that all of life is like a breath: it emerges, it is, and it passes away. We can't own anything (not even our beauty or the things beauty might bring us) for more than an instant, just as we can't own a breath. So if there's nothing to hold onto, clinging to beauty or jealousy is just making our short life more difficult than it needs to be. If your friend is beautiful, it is because nature bestowed it upon them. It's not his/her's and is nothing to be proud of or identify with.

Knowing this on an intellectual level is a good start. Deeply experiencing this, however, requires that you step out of your thoughts enough to see what you're thinking without buying into your story-lines. If you haven't already, perhaps try simple breath meditation. Perhaps try the mudita (sympathetic joy) practice Dhamma Dhatu mentions above. One result of both is to help you see jealous thoughts as simply thoughts -- usually thoughts that are based on inaccurate interpretations of reality and/or unhelpful to you -- and let them go in favor of something more beneficial for others and more compassionate towards yourself.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    blupisces, the best antidote IMO to feeling inadequate (and let's face it; seeing your friend as more beautiful than you, or valuing beauty at all (which society, the media and the advertising industry can have a tendency to overwhelm us with, if you let them)is making you feel inadequate, that's where the jealousy comes in) is to find a job or a volunteer cause you really believe in, something that really speaks to you. Give it your all, and in so doing, you'll find something so much bigger than the mundane concerns we can fall into, that you'll forget all about whatever it was that was bothering you. You'll learn, you'll grow, your value system and perspective will change. Helping others is a good antidote for a lot of things.
  • Is it helpful to just practice awareness and notice these thoughts that I have and just let them go?
  • Is it helpful to just practice awareness and notice these thoughts that I have and just let them go?
    It's always good to practice awareness. So basically, yes. Try to observe the thoughts without getting tangled up in them or the emotions that they stimulate. Always be aware.

• edited January 2011
    Well, in my near-middle aged opinion? You young people have it tough (like I did too). Externals are very important, people are pairing up, looking for signs of compatibility, they want to have fun and explore and identify themselves.

Studies have shown ( :D ) we can't always get what we want; we only get what we need. Wait..., that wasn't a study..., that was The Rolling Stones! :rocker: Anyway, there's lots of wisdom in that, not unrelated to Buddhism I might add.

With all the good advice here, "you'll get what you need" to WORK it out; if that doesn't help, no problem, *aging* will do it for you!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Is it helpful to just practice awareness and notice these thoughts that I have and just let them go?
    Absolutely! You're right on, there! :)

Thanks for the comic relief, Roger. ^_^
    Anyway, practice mindfullness, and letting go; develop an irresistable personality, give to the world, and be patient.
    Oh, and BTW, according to a variety of reports and people's personal observations, beauty isn't all it's cracked up to be. It comes with its own baggage. So don't worry about other people having it better than you. Just live a good life.
  • edited January 2011

Thanks for the comic relief, Roger.
    Bless your heart Dakini. :) I'm now thinking Class Clown is a most auspicious undertaking.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I'm now thinking Class Clown is a most auspicious undertaking.
    I think it's a great ambition. We need one of those. :) It's certainly compassionate, cheering people up when they need it, or introducing a light note when needed.
    'Class Clown' is an admirable title.
    'Village idiot' has been taken though.....

;)

• [I'm finding myself so jealous and hateful inside towards my best friend]

You can choose to be jealous and attempt to sabotage your friend/enemy or
    rejoice in her good fortune. Maybe by rejoicing with her, her beauty may "rub off" on you or you can get helpful hints on how to be "beautiful" from her. Remember that beauty does not only come from physical appearance.

Ask yourself which approach makes you feel better.
  • edited January 2011
    I suggest you read the part about friends in the Sigavolada Sutta (http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.nara.html). Is she a good friend? If she isn't your jealousy might be caused by this. While there is never any need for jealousy, it's easier not to be jealous for a good friend than for someone who isn't. If she is a good friend, are you?
  • Jealousy can hinder you as you make your way in the world. You compare your appearance and find yourself lacking. No good can come from this, or any other comparisons, unless you are spurred toward your own vision of whom you should be. Comparing appearance is futile as I am sure you are aware. But seeking yourself in your works and studies, in physical activity and relaxation, this is what you must do. Discipline and focus are your tools.
    If you create a self which gives you pleasure and satisfaction, you will find yourself on the road to more confidence and later, success.

Whaaa, excuse me for being judgemental here, but exactly what part of this post is supposed to be about Buddhism?
    The truth is that it is not possible to be ugly or anything other than what you should be. It's just whether or not you can accept that.
    Whaaa, excuse me for being judgemental here, but exactly what part of this post is supposed to be about Buddhism?

Who me ?
  • The structure of the body is just a phase on the river of consciousness. Nothing is permanent, and I'd just be happy for the fact that beauty can exist at all, whether in your friends appearance or elsewhere in nature.