Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Superiority of the Lotus Sutra

edited February 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Practices based on Sutras other than the Lotus Sutra are provisional teachings that served to prepare people for the True Teaching.
This isn't my own opinion, it is Shakyamuni's teaching.

The Immeasurable Meanings Sutra (which served as an introduction for the Lotus Sutra) states:

"in these more than forty years [since I began teaching], I have not yet revealed the truth."

The Lotus states:

"The World-Honored One has long expounded his doctrines and now must reveal the truth." - Ch 2

"Honestly discarding expedient means, I will preach only the unsurpassed way."
- Ch 2

"For long he remained silent regarding the essential, in no hurry to speak of it at once." - Ch 5

"Among all the rivers, streams, and other bodies of water, for example, the ocean is foremost. And this Lotus Sutra is likewise, being the most profound and greatest of the sutras preached by the Thus Come Ones." - Ch 23

Ch 16 states:

"In all the worlds the heavenly and human beings and asuras all believe that the present Shakyamuni Buddha, after leaving the palace of the Shakyas, seated himself in the place of practice not far from the city of Gaya and there attained annuttara-samyak-sambodhi [complete awakening]. But good men, it has been immeasurable, boundless hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, millions of nayutas of kalpas since I in fact attained Buddhahood."

If you wish to follow the direct path to Enlightenment, study the Lotus Sutra, take faith in it and chant Namu-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comments

• If you wish to follow the direct path to Enlightenment, study the Lotus Sutra, take faith in it and chant Namu-myoho-renge-kyo!
    Dogma.
  • If that is what you call Buddhism then so be it.
  • You sound like a bible-thumper to me.
  • And you sound like one who dispises the Buddha's golden words.
  • The direct path to enlightenment is simply to be enlightened. I was referring to the chanting. Chanting sounds in another language will not benefit many. If a book helps you understand the simplicity of life, so be it. Peace and love on your path, friend.
  • Nah, its dogma.
  • The direct path to enlightenment is simply to be enlightened. I was referring to the chanting. Chanting sounds in another language will not benefit many. If a book helps you understand the simplicity of life, so be it. Peace and love on your path, friend.
    I wish you well too, Havamar. However, only through the Lotus Sutra can we all attain Buddhahood.
    The practice of chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo (devotion/to honour/take refuge in the Wonderful Law of the Lotus Flower Sutra) was established by Nichiren. The entire sutra is contained in its title, just as the word 'Japan' includes all the regions, cities, rivers and mountains.
    Only in the Lotus did Shakyamuni teach in accordance with his own mind [and not in accordance with the minds of others, as he had done previously].
  • edited February 2011
    lol...is this guy still goin on about this? You realize I could quote you other sutras he says are the supreme, right?
  • Chanting 'Japan' will not make me Japanese. These people you are worshipping are just people, like you. Everyone is a buddha. The more you study, the more you will have to unlearn. As I said, the truth is extremely simple.
  • Chanting 'Japan' will not make me Japanese. These people you are worshipping are just people, like you. Everyone is a buddha. The more you study, the more you will have to unlearn. As I said, the truth is extremely simple.
    yup. You are the buddha, literally. What does he have to tell you?

• Nichiren addresses that issue best in 'Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra':

"Question: ... But what about the sutras preached before the Lotus Sutra that state, “This is the foremost sutra” or “This is the king of sutras”? If one were to go by what you have said, then one would have to reject these pronouncements, which are the words of the Buddha himself. Is this not so?

Answer: Although these earlier sutras may include such statements as “this is the foremost sutra” or “this is the king of sutras,” they are all nevertheless provisional teachings. One should not rely on such pronouncements. The Buddha himself commented on this point when he said, “Rely on sutras that are complete and final and not on those that are not complete and final.” And the Great Teacher Miao-lo stated: “Though other sutras may call themselves the king among sutras, there is none that announces itself as foremost among all the sutras preached in the past, now being preached, or to be preached in the future. Thus one should understand them according to the principle of ‘combining, excluding, corresponding, and including.’ ” This passage of commentary is saying in essence that even if there should be a sutra that calls itself the king of sutras, if it does not also declare itself superior to those preached before it and those to be preached after, then one should know that it is a sutra belonging to the expedient teachings.

It is the way of the sutras preached before the Lotus Sutra to say nothing concerning the sutras that would be preached in the future. Only in the case of the Lotus Sutra, because it is the final and ultimate statement of the Buddha’s teachings, do we find a clear pronouncement that this sutra alone holds the place of absolute superiority “among the sutras I have preached, now preach, and will preach.”

Hence one commentary states, “Only in the Lotus Sutra did the Buddha explain the meaning of his earlier teachings and clarify the true meaning of this present teaching.” Thus we may see that, in the Lotus Sutra, the Thus Come One gave definite form both to his true intention and to the methods to be used in teaching and converting living beings.

It is for this reason that T’ien-t’ai stated: “After the Thus Come One attained enlightenment, for forty years and more he did not reveal the truth. With the Lotus Sutra, he for the first time revealed the truth.” In other words, for more than forty years after the Thus Come One went out into the world, he did not reveal the true teaching. In the Lotus Sutra, he for the first time revealed the true way that leads to the attainment of Buddhahood."

- From Questions and Answers about Embracing the Lotus Sutra (WND)

And also in the Lotus Sutra, Many Treasures Buddha appeared to confirm Shakyamuni's words, as did all the Buddhas of the Ten Directions.
    "In that evil age there will be monks
    with perverse wisdom and hearts that are fawning and crooked
    who will suppose they have attained what they have not attained,
    being proud and boastful in heart."

- Lotus Sutra Ch 13
  • edited February 2011
    You would make an excellent Christian.

And you have warmed my day, friend. Thank you. :)
  • "Though they treat us with contempt, saying,
    "You are all no doubt Buddhas!"
    All such words of arrogance and contempt
    we will endure and accept.
    In a muddied kalpa, in an evil age
    there will be many things to fear.
    Evil demons will take possession of others
    and through them curse, revile and heap shame on us.
    But we, reverently trusting in the Buddha,
    will put on the armor of perseverance.
    In order to preach this sutra
    we will bear these difficult things."

- Lotus Sutra Ch 13
  • edited February 2011
  • I see you as a friend, and have wished you love and peace. I have illustrated the simplicity of truth. You have just called me arrogant, contemptful, evil, fear inspiring, cursing, reviling, shaming, difficult and demon possessed.
    All I can do pass my love to you, and wish you well once more.
  • I have illustrated the simplicity of truth
    Can you re-post it? I think I must have missed it.
  • I'm serious...he's just trying to get a reaction out of people.
  • "Chanting 'Japan' will not make me Japanese. These people you are worshipping are just people, like you. Everyone is a buddha. The more you study, the more you will have to unlearn. As I said, the truth is extremely simple. "

And at that I will leave this thread alone. Thank you for the stimulating discussion.
  • Excellent! Most Excellent Chogetsu!
  • "Chanting 'Japan' will not make me Japanese. These people you are worshipping are just people, like you. Everyone is a buddha. The more you study, the more you will have to unlearn. As I said, the truth is extremely simple. "

And at that I will leave this thread alone. Thank you for the stimulating discussion.
    That is your personal opinion, you have not quoted any Sutras.

• Excellent! Most Excellent Chogetsu!
    Thank you Buku!
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    If you wish to follow the direct path to Enlightenment, study the Lotus Sutra, take faith in it and chant Namu-myoho-renge-kyo!
    @Chogetsu

It seems that your reading of only the Lotus Sutra has taken you on a long path away from enlightenment... For if you were truly getting closer to enlightenment due to this "True Teaching" you surely wouldn't be carrying on like this.

I am but a beginner and of this it is plainly obvious to see... If the Buddha were before you and heard you go on as you have he'd probably tear the Sutra in half and drop it at your feet before turning to go sit under a Bodhi tree.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2011
    @Chogetsu

It seems that your reading of only the Lotus Sutra has taken you on a long path away from enlightenment... For if you were truly getting closer to enlightenment due to this "True Teaching" you surely wouldn't be carrying on like this.

I am but a beginner and of this it is plainly obvious to see... If the Buddha were before you and heard you go on as you have he'd probably tear the Sutra in half and drop it at your feet before turning to go sit under a Bodhi tree.
    Sounds like @Chogetsu is a follower of Nichiren to me. Studying the the Lotus Sutra (which they view as the highest teaching of the Buddha) and chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo is just their thing.
  • If you wish to follow the direct path to Enlightenment, study the Lotus Sutra, take faith in it and chant Namu-myoho-renge-kyo!
    @Chogetsu

You should read the Sutras for yourself. I am 'carrying on' only as Shakyamuni 'carried on'.

I have not insulted anyone, it is me who has been insulted and ridiculed simply for quoting Shakyamuni's golden words.
    Sounds like @Chogetsu is a follower of Nichiren to me. Studying the the Lotus Sutra (which they view as the highest teaching of the Buddha) and chanting Namu-myoho-renge-kyo is just their thing.
    I understand this... My point is the Buddha would not care for the manner in which he is proselytizing the Nichiren perspective of Buddhism... it's very anti-Buddhist in my opinion.

• There is no 'Nichiren perspective' in Buddhism. The Lotus itself states that it is foremost, that Shakyamuni had 'not yet rvealed the truth' (Immeasurable Meanings Sutra)and that he 'fully discarded expediant means to reveal the unsurpassed way'.
  • ALL THOSE WHO ARE IGNORANT OF THE TRUTH OF THE LOTUS SUTRA BE DAMNED TO HELL!!!
  • ALL THOSE WHO ARE IGNORANT OF THE TRUTH OF THE LOTUS SUTRA BE DAMNED TO HELL!!!
    Neither Nichiren nor Shakyamuni ever spoke that way.
    Thank you for that TheJourney... I shall now go devote the remainder of my life to this Sutra... The rest is obviously just crap anyways...
  • None of the Buddha's words are 'crap', they served the purpose of preparing people for the Lotus Sutra.
    Sorry... I must have read "Not Truth" as "crap"... My Bad... Sorry
  • They are skillfull means employed by the Thus Come One, teachings in accordance with various peoples capacities.
  • ALL THERE IS IS TRUTH AND IGNORANCE, AND ONLY THE LOTUS SUTRA IS TRUTH, ALL ELSE IS IGNORANCE, ALL ELSE IS HELL!!!! YOU WILL SUFFER IN SAMSARA FOR AEONA UPON AEONS!!!!
  • That is stated in the Immeasurable Meanings Sutra. The golden words of Shakyamuni Buddha.
  • ALL PRAISE BE TO MY LORD AND SAVIOR BUDDHA!!!
  • Still unable to find a single Sutra to prove me wrong?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Alright, enough with the trolling, @TheJourney. OK?
  • lol I just wanted to make sure it was obvious how ridiculous he was being
  • A sutra cannot prove a concept right or wrong anymore than the bible can prove adam and eve existed. A sutra can present an idea, no more, no less.
    Um... Yeah... TheJourney... That's not cool either, btw... This is Chogetsu's thread with the title "The Superiority of the Lotus Sutra"...

Chogetsu... I apologize for my snideness in my last two posts... I stand by the rest... I do understand what you are stating and implying...

You do realize you are discrediting many branches of Buddhism which do not follow the Lotus Sutra and whose numbers rank many many monks who have devoted themselves to differing paths (or sutras)

Are you a Monk perchance?
  • This discussion has shown to Jason, as well as other admins, that Nichiren Buddhists aim to be respectful, by which I mean not insulting anyone, not patronising others and not attempting to ridicule them.

Everything I have quoted I have backed up with Sutra passages. The Lotus SUtra states:

"If a person fails to have faith
    but instead slanders this sutra,
    immediately he will destroy all the seeds
    for becoming a Buddha in this world."

- Ch 3
  • Personally, I don't give a flying piece of crap what the sutra says. All I care about is whether the teachings of the sutra is applicable to daily life and if it is in line with the Four, the Five and the Eight.

I can see how Vajrayana can do so, so does Zen, and Theravada and Pure Land and so on.
  • On the contrary. The loyal beneficiaries serve the good King with joy. The rebellious subjects discredit themselves.
  • Um... Yeah... TheJourney... That's not cool either, btw... This is Chogetsu's thread with the title "The Superiority of the Lotus Sutra"...

Chogetsu... I apologize for my snideness in my last two posts... I stand by the rest... I do understand what you are stating and implying...

You do realize you are discrediting many branches of Buddhism which do not follow the Lotus Sutra and whose numbers rank many many monks who have devoted themselves to differing paths (or sutras)

Are you a Monk perchance?
    Jonathon, there is no need to apologise, neither is there any need to believe whatever I say, just rely on Shakyamuni's teachings rather than others opinions.

People may claim Buddhahood exists seperate from the Sutras, or they may claim to have attained Buddhahood themselves.

It is the Lotus itself that discredits the other teachings.

I'm not a monk.

• Personally, I don't give a flying piece of crap what the sutra says. All I care about is whether the teachings of the sutra is applicable to daily life and if it is in line with the Four, the Five and the Eight.

I can see how Vajrayana can do so, so does Zen, and Theravada and Pure Land and so on.
    This is very sad.
  • The truth is neither within nor without the sutras
  • I honestly do have an interest in reading the lotus sutra after finishing the lankavatara. Without quoting the sutra itself, can you explain to me how your study of it has improved your practice? Like through personal analogy?
    Is this your own opinion? If so, it has no place in Buddhism if it is contrary to the Buddha's teachings.
    Is this your own opinion? If so, it has no place in Buddhism if it is contrary to the Buddha's teachings.
    The buddha said it. But if you were a true buddhist, you would know that, right?

This discussion has been closed.