Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

live in Tibet with buddhist monks for meditation

edited February 2011 in Meditation
I am looking for a program in which i can live in Nepal or Thailand with buddhists for several years to practice meditation and work in exchanged for a place to stay. Any suggestions? And does any such program exist...

Comments

• I'd also be interested in knowing about this.
  • In Thai monasteries you can live there for as long as you want. You just have to ask. In fact, you can ordain then disrobe after a year. That is also common with many Thais doing that. You just need to find a monastery that teaches in English... or learn Thai!

I haven't done any of this so you might want to confirm with someone living in Thailand or Nepal.
  • I am looking for a program in which i can live in Nepal or Thailand with buddhists for several years to practice meditation and work in exchanged for a place to stay. Any suggestions? And does any such program exist...
    why thailand or Nepal? Dazzle sent the link of one in UK and I thought the place looked amazing! I understand the connections to the geographical places but you may have a greater language barrier to overcome as mentioned by Vangelis.
  • Could anyone tell what the link that Dazzle posted was?

many thanks.
  • maybe.....
  • edited February 2011
    AFAIK? Buddhism has fully __ARRIVED__ in the west over the past 50 years.

Perhaps closer to home is possible for you?

OTOH, it might be great to expatriate for a while, sure.
  • I agree with @Roger... I know of several places within a reasonable distance from my home where one can stay and live with Buddhist monastics.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Saulsilver, western monks who go to India to live in Tibetan monasteries tend to be surprised at the primitive conditions and lack of food. I think the advice to either try Thailand, or a monastery closer to home is good.
  • the grass is greener on the other side. when you get there it still looks like grass.
  • You can do some research online and in books ("The Novice" is one in which a Western Vajrayana Buddhist reports on his experience in monasteries both in the West and in India), to get a better preview of what's in store regarding your options.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2011
    BTW, saulsilver, your OP says "Live in Tibet with Buddhist monks". That's not possible, as you'd have to get a residency visa or extended tourist visa from the Chinese, which they're not about to give, after the crackdown in 2008. You must have meant India or Nepal...?