Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Place for Meditation

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited June 2005 in Buddhism Today
I am cleaning a part of my back yard under this huge tree I have for meditation. I will be planting grass and some plants. I have been using th earea to throw debris from remodeling until I fix my truck so I can haul it all to the dump. I am telling you all this because I have this feeling I am going to get some negative feedback for doing this. I have a feeling I am going to told that it doesn't matter and probably going to told something about attachment and something else I never thought of. I am doing this because I am fixing up my whole property and I like plants and a nice place. I figure I can use it for my meditation place because it is quiet out back.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    no flack here. There's nothing wrong with picking a meditation spot.

The buddha himself did that ;) He picked a Bodhi Tree and ... well, that was his spot.... :D
  • edited June 2005
    I always thought having a room for meditation would be helpful for emptying the mind but I don't have the room for it.
    As long as you don't become attached to the area then I see no problem in it. As long as you remember that you are always meditating and you are meditation then have fun with it.
    NOTE: I will be starting a new string later in reference to medititation as life.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Well that is good to know.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    batman, like the monk who was challenged about his practise, and who retorted "when am I NOT meditating?!?"
    Look forward to the new thread... I meditate all the time....
    nothing bu the sky above, nothing but the sky below..... ;)
  • edited June 2005
    I have difficulty with set place. It makes sense to have a place with little or no diastraction but aren't we learning,practicing, keeping a clear mind in the real world. it is just as when I got sober, I knew many people who locked them selves out of harms way only to find them selves in real trouble when they had to venture amongst the living.. Avoidance of the world does not teach us to be in the world. when confronted with a situation in life will we tell everyone to "be quiet" , turn down the lights, whip out our trusty zafu and....oops to late the train already ran you down. I am a 100% advocate of a breathing practice space as long as we remember that it is practice not the destination.
    this is how I understand the difference between zazen and meditation. just words, but how do you realize these words?
    ^gassho^
    edited June 2005
    I see. I should use the place I have picked but also work toward meditating all the time. IP don't know if I am meditating all the time but I contemplate things always. I never stop. Especially at work which the root ofy suffering I have time to think and reflect of things.
  • edited June 2005
    I like the idea of a place specifically for meditation, but I also agree with wolfscalissi that (paraphrasing) we need to look outside of that space and learn how to meditate in other locations.

The problem I have in all of this is that I'm fairly new to meditation. I like being somewhere quiet so that I can focus better. My apartment this past school year had two other roommates--one constantly cooked, one did nothing but watch television. And they talked. Loudly. I often became frustrated because I couldn't block them out. I tried relaxing music, earplugs, you name it. The noise there eventually discouraged me from meditating, because quite frankly, I didn't enjoy it, and it was too much "work" for me.

I am in a much quieter space now, but there are still cars, neighbors, young children....but no noisy roommates. :)

My question becomes this: How should I cope with all of the noise and still be able to meditate? Should I let the noise become my focus point? Or is there something about meditation that I just don't know yet?

Please forgive my ignorance...but that's why I'm here.

Thanks, Jules
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I will be the first to confess that I don't meidiate in the 'accepted, pre-conceived' fashion.... that is, I don't often sit in silence, darkness, incense, etc....
    but when I do, I try to incorporate the sounds as part of my meditation....."people talking.... nice for them that they have voices with which to speak.... may their words be wise...." and let it go.... "cars driving past.... may the drivers stay safe, and be safe....." and let it go.... "children shouting as they play... may they be safe, have fun and not quarrel....." and I let it go..... each time, coming back 'into myself, watching my breath, feeling it against my upper lip.... smiling contentedly....no-one knows I am here, no-one knows I am wishing them well.... just sitting..... :)
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Try a more naturally calmer moment in the day - before sunrise, later in the evening, whenever there are the least distractions. Counting to 10 breaths is hard enough with all of the internal distractions (monkey mind!) to have to worry about external ones! Don't be hard on yourself at first. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be! Don't feel that you're a failure if you can't sit for 3 hours with rush hour traffic outside of your window! Small steps, Ellie. Small steps. :D

I have a book called "sitting" that you can use as a guide if you need it. We had talked about setting up a book exchange here, but that never really took off (at least for me, i found i most of my books are buried in storage). But i can send you this one if you like.

Also, have you looked into meditation groups in your area?
  • edited June 2005
    ZenLunatic wrote:
    Counting to 10 breaths is hard enough with all of the internal distractions (monkey mind!) to have to worry about external ones!

One thing that may help is this:

Are the distractions really external? OR are they internal...

Are the cars driving past the window really annoying or is it just our state of mind.

Keep practising though - we're all here for you if you have any other questions.

Bows,

Dave
    edited June 2005
    And stop apologizing for your ignorance. :) If you didn't have questions then you wouldn't be here.
  • edited June 2005
    Thanks for all of your suggestions, I'm working on incorporating them....

There is no buddhists anything in my area. :( The closest is probably in Pittsburgh, but that's a good hour away, and I don't have the time in my week to drive that far just to meditate at this point. I'd consider starting a group on campus, except that I (literally) don't know of any other buddhists here.

Looks like i'm the only one for now. :-/

And I will stop apologizing for my ignorance. ;)

Jules
    edited June 2005
    The closest temple to me is over na hour away, too. I have also considered starting a Buddhist group here.
  • edited June 2005
    I have tried to meditate, and I guess the normal reactions is what to think about. I know your suppose to clear your mind, but what happens when you have a lot on your mind?

And this may be a dumb question, but has anyone fell asleep during meditation? haha :o
  • edited June 2005
    Anita wrote:
    I have tried to meditate, and I guess the normal reactions is what to think about. I know your suppose to clear your mind, but what happens when you have a lot on your mind?

And this may be a dumb question, but has anyone fell asleep during meditation? haha :o

Dear Anita,

There is nothing to worry about. Starting meditation can be confusing and daunting at the beginning. I remember saying to myself:

"But if you're not supposed to think about anything then surely you're thinking about not thinking!"

Fortunately there is a way around this, for the beginner.

Sit in a position where you are comfortable but still aware of your posture. Close your eyes and relax, breathe deeply. Allow your hectic modern day mind to settle, as much as possible.

Once you are relaxed focus your attention on your breathing and count for every exhalation. Count up to ten and then start back at one. If you lose you count or start thinking about something else, take a deep breath and, start again.

If you have alot on your mind, accept that. Don't try to force it out (there's nowhere for it to go!) and just continue to count your breathing.

Start with small five minute sessions. It's quality we're after, not quantity!

Please ask me anything if you have any other questions.

To answer your question about falling asleep: drowsiness can be the same as a busy mind - if we attach to not wanting either then we are still attached! If I am falling asleep sitting up then it's too late or I'm too tired.

If it is happening to you then I suggest meditating earlier in the day.

What was the quote Fede?

"Morning meditation is golden, evening mediation is bronze"

I hope I have been helpful.
  • edited June 2005
    So basically its all about breathing. Focus on breathing. My mind tends to wonder off, but I guess thats normal for a beginner.

Is meditation a way to free your mind from your problems? Like some people have a drink, and some people take a bath...
  • edited June 2005
    Anita wrote:
    So basically its all about breathing. Focus on breathing.

At the beginning, yes
    Anita wrote:
    My mind tends to wonder off, but I guess thats normal for a beginner.

Most people's mind tends to wander - that's why they call it monkey mind!
    Anita wrote:
    Is meditation a way to free your mind from your problems? Like some people have a drink, and some people take a bath...

For some people it is purely theraputic. I'd say more effort is required than with pouring drinks and baths, though.

For other people it is not an escape. It is life.

I hope I've helped!