Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If one says he is a Zen buddhist, how does his practice differ from say, a Theravada Buddhist?

N2BN2B
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Is it mainly the meditation thats different, but the teachings stay the same.
Or are even the buddhas teachings different?

I practice Theravada Buddhism (samatha meditation)

What major differences will I see in ZEN..

Comments

• zen meditation is very strict.
    you eat & sleep on the very spot that you meditate.
  • Do Zen practitioners believe in the middle way? That is my question.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    Zen is mahayana, the boddhisattva path, theravda focuses on the sravaka path, or the path of the disciples. Zazen meditation practice is very similar to vippisana, but the eyes remain open. From personal experience, vippisana is more rigorous and should definitely be reserved for monks living in seclusion, specifically those adhering to the forest traditions. Zazen, although trasitionally strict in regards to posture, etc., is much easier for laypeople to practice. Not to say that either form is greater than the other. They are skillful means for different personalities.
    Of course zen practitioners believe in the middle way. The core teachings and principles of Buddhism remain the same for all traditions.
  • vippisana is more rigorous and should definitely be reserved for monks living in seclusion, specifically those adhering to the forest tradition.
    Have you read anything about Dipa Ma? She lived a householder life with short (three months maximum) periods of intensive retreat. Her life and others' experiences of her speak to real accomplishment in Buddhism. She used and taught Vipissana.

Namaste

• Vipassana and Shikantaza (used in Zen) is pretty much the same. As for intensity of meditation each practitioner chooses his own level according to the temple/teacher tradition. I know a Soto Zen temple in Japan where they meditate 15 hours a day. As has been said, in Zen correct posture in meditation is very important. My teacher says that the body posture really projects your state of mind during meditation.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    The way I see it, it’s more about the attitude of the practitioner than about the school of Buddhism they belong to.
    I met “fanatics” and people who “take it easy” in both Zen and Therevada groups.

Some Therevada-Buddhists just participate in the parties and give Dana to the monks; you will never catch them meditating in the Buddha-hall.
    At the other hand the vipassana-retreats I have been in, were more radical than the ‘rohatsu”sesshins. There really was no break at all. When we did not actually sit in meditation we moved around in extreme slow-motion.

Driving home from Rohatsu I would drive like I was in a race-car. Driving home from Vipassana-retreat I would drive like a ninety year-old.
    I don’t know what that was.

Maybe the Therevada people I met were more serious about the “precepts”; or at least they were more serious in paying lip service to them.
    But again; it’s all about personal attitude.
    Of course intensity of practice is determined by the practitioner. Zazen can be just as rigorous as vippisana, I just found through personal experience that proper vippisana mediation requires greater fortitude and determination to be successful. I prefer zazen because it fits better with my personality. There is still a level of strict determination but a less regimented technique.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I practice Theravada Buddhism (samatha meditation)

What major differences will I see in ZEN..
    hi

you might say you "practice Theravada Buddhism" but "Theravada" is a school of Buddhism aligned to the Pali scriptures yet often not reflecting what is actually in the Pali scriptures

in the Pali scriptures, the Buddha's advice on "how" to practise meditation (as opposed to "what" to practise) is not so clear

Zen attempts to describe or instruct "method"

But when one can comprehend what the Buddha spoke in the Pali, the "method" is the same as Zen, that is, "just watching", "just letting go"

regards

:)

good answer dd
  • Zen is mahayana, the boddhisattva path, theravda focuses on the sravaka path, or the path of the disciples. Zazen meditation practice is very similar to vippisana, but the eyes remain open. From personal experience, vippisana is more rigorous and should definitely be reserved for monks living in seclusion, specifically those adhering to the forest traditions. Zazen, although trasitionally strict in regards to posture, etc., is much easier for laypeople to practice. Not to say that either form is greater than the other. They are skillful means for different personalities.
    I prefer zazen because it fits better with my personality. There is still a level of strict determination but a less regimented technique.
    Funny, I have a completely opposite opinion. I think Zen is less suitable precisely because it is less regimented! I figure that people want structure. (I certainly do.)

Can you elaborate on the differences between Zen technique and Vipassana?

• But when one can comprehend what the Buddha spoke in the Pali, the "method" is the same as Zen, that is, "just watching", "just letting go"
    I think the Buddha went far beyond "just watching, just letting go", as the 4 Frames of Reference are very clear about what to watch and what to let go of.

Is Zen as explicit about the 4 foundations as is Vipassana?