Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Boxing?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Buddhism and Boxing?
Is it wrong to watch/play boxing video games and etc according to Buddhism texts?

Comments

• Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Buddhism and spirituality is *Yin (Heaven). The balance of that, is stuff like money, video games, boxing, entertainment, superficial things *Yang (Earth). Yin is a feminine energy, Yang is the masculine. If one is mostly yin they lack balance and same if they're too much yang.

So ask yourself; is boxing and violence for sport wrong? I can easily say it's not wrong. It's fun, and meant for entertainment (and money). Manny Pacquiao makes boxing such a great sport right now. I love watching him. He is like a modern day Bruce Lee. I think he is the best boxer of our time.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Too much Buddhism and spirituality is *Yin (Heaven). The balance of that, is stuff like money, video games, boxing, entertainment, superficial things *Yang (Earth). Yin is a feminine energy, Yang is the masculine. If one is mostly yin they lack balance and same if they're too much yang.

So ask yourself; is boxing and violence for sport wrong? I can easily say it's not wrong. It's fun, and meant for entertainment (and money). Manny Pacquiao makes boxing such a great sport right now. I love watching him. He is like a modern day Bruce Lee. I think he is the best boxer of our time.
    Great points!
    Thank you!
    What you think about him taking steroids??
    edited May 2011

Great points!
    Thank you!
    What you think about him taking steroids??
    I used to think steroids were a big deal, but the more I started getting into shape myself and being around athletes I learned about the psychology of steroids. Eventually an athlete, reaches their physical peak, or perhaps prime shape. Sometimes steroids are looked at as a practical tool to pass that plateau. It's a controversial thing, but I'm telling it to you as it was told to me by these guys that use them.

Personally I have never used them. But as a fighter myself, I can tell you that I would not back down from a fight, or make excuses if he beat me using steroids. When you get into a ring and fight, it's war. You do whatever you have to do to win and you still do your best to follow the rules. If he can get away with using steroids, then that's fine.

Because he's still showing boxing at its best, with no ear biting or low blows, etc. I don't really know if he's using steroids, but if they're giving him an extra edge to fight the way he fights (I doubt it) I say power to him. It's sort of an ethical debate, but as a fighter I could care less.

In my opinion it's not the possibility of using steroids that make him a good fighter. It's his spirit, and the way he trains is what makes him that good. Because I remember seeing him fight when he was very young, about 6 years ago. And the first time I saw him fight, I knew that this guy was going to be big. Just by his fighting spirit. I doubt he has been using steroids all that time.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    @ LeonBasin: Any sport based on physically assaulting another human being into submission is not in line with Buddhist principles. Playing a boxing video game is obviously less harmful than the 'real thing', and simply watching someone else play such a game is even less harmful. But in all cases, you need to ask yourself what is your motivation for enjoying violence; what affect does it have on you; and so on.

@ Mr Serenity: Yin and Yang is irrelevant to Buddhism.
  • Steriods is also a harmful drug. There's the 5th precept straight out of the window.

• There's the prohibition against watching "grotesque mime". Same thing.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    There's the prohibition against watching "grotesque mime". Same thing.
    Sure, although most lay Buddhists don't follow the 10 precepts - the first 5 are hard enough :)

• VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    Buddhism and spirituality is *Yin (Heaven). The balance of that, is stuff like money, video games, boxing, entertainment, superficial things *Yang (Earth). Yin is a feminine energy, Yang is the masculine. If one is mostly yin they lack balance and same if they're too much yang.

I don't "buy" this explanation, it isn't convincing.
  • Buddhism and spirituality is *Yin (Heaven). The balance of that, is stuff like money, video games, boxing, entertainment, superficial things *Yang (Earth). Yin is a feminine energy, Yang is the masculine. If one is mostly yin they lack balance and same if they're too much yang.

I don't buy it neither...sports or not! you still hurt someone and yourself for "entertainment"!!!...

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @ LeonBasin: Any sport based on physically assaulting another human being into submission is not in line with Buddhist principles. Playing a boxing video game is obviously less harmful than the 'real thing', and simply watching someone else play such a game is even less harmful. But in all cases, you need to ask yourself what is your motivation for enjoying violence; what affect does it have on you; and so on.

Not so sure. It's a voluntary sport.

Steriods is also a harmful drug. There's the 5th precept straight out of the window.

We don't agree often, but we do here.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

That's what I was thinking.
    Both parties agree?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2011

I kind of agree. There probably isn't the kind of negative karma that would result from beating up some random person, however you're still practicing aggression instead of non-harming and ultimately its also a distraction from the Dharma, but so are 10,000 other things.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    By the logic of "it's voluntary violence, so it's OK", then voluntary drug dealing & taking is OK too. This makes no sense.
    By the logic of "it's voluntary violence, so it's OK", then voluntary drug dealing & taking is OK too. This makes no sense.
    That's fine, so you don't have to watch or support it. And voluntary drug dealing is not the same. It's illegal, and in my view, Buddhists ought to obey laws.

• Buddhism and Boxing?
    Is it wrong to watch/play boxing video games and etc according to Buddhism texts?
    The principle of Buddhism, or in fact mankind, is not to cause harm to others.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    That's fine, so you don't have to watch or support it. And voluntary drug dealing is not the same. It's illegal, and in my view, Buddhists ought to obey laws.
    Illegality not a good yardstick to use in Buddhist ethics, because such things depend on local laws: in some countries, drugs are legal, or it is OK to abuse women, or kill criminals, etc etc. The question was whether it is wrong according to Buddhism, which transcends a government regime or legal system.

And as Sea Imprint so simply says: as Buddhists, we should avoid causing harm, even if the person we harm is 'OK' with it. To me it's like an abusive relationship.
    Illegality not a good yardstick to use in Buddhist ethics, because such things depend on local laws: in some countries, drugs are legal, or it is OK to abuse women, or kill criminals, etc etc. The question was whether it is wrong according to Buddhism, which transcends a government regime or legal system.

And as Sea Imprint so simply says: as Buddhists, we should avoid causing harm, even if the person we harm is 'OK' with it. To me it's like an abusive relationship.
    As I said, I understand your viewpoint, and you don't have to watch or support boxing.

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    I don't think it is an issue, Boxing or other competitive fighting sports are done by two willing participants under a strict set of rules and as far as I know, they are not angry with each other, they both just want to win. It is not like a fist fight between two parties that disagree with each other, when that happens every punch is thrown in anger, there are no rules, and blood is shed for the wrong reasons.
  • At the risk of repeating myself, there are things that Buddhists are discouraged from wasting time and energy on, like "grotesque mime". It's the waste of time and expenditure of mental and emotional energy that's the problem, as much as the boxing itself. What does watching boxing or other violent sports like MMA do to the mental continuum of the watcher?
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Buddhism and Boxing?
    Always watch the mind not to give rise to the habits and karmic tendencies of Asuras...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asura_(Buddhism)
    edited May 2011
    In a thread about fighting there will always be the "anti-violent" Buddhist that comes preaching in their soap box about how organized violence is not good for the purity of the mind, and that it's not Buddhist. Well yeah! Of course it's not Buddhist. Hopefully someone doesn't try to be a pure minded Buddhist all the time. If they're then they're basically a monk.

That's why the yin and yang is very relevant to this topic. The act of enjoying fighting, isn't Buddhist (yin, Heaven energy, feminine energy) , the thrill of physical fighting is (yang, Earth, masculine energy). So there is no reason why someone cannot incorporate both into their lives. Saying that someone cannot incorporate both into their lives just shows lack of tolerance, and ignorance towards organized fighting.

Organized fighting has been around since the beginning of man, and it will always be around. If one cannot stand it, then they should not partake in it or watch it. But that does not mean it's wrong. Everyone has different cultures, different genes, that attracts them to different things. Most boxers love to do what they do, and they get paid for it. There are risks in everything.

To insist that boxing is not Buddhism is getting to the point of fundamentalist fanaticism, of course it's not Buddhism. The point is incorporating balance into your life. In that regard, there is nothing wrong with boxing.
  • Hopefully someone doesn't try to be a pure minded Buddhist all the time...

To insist that boxing is not Buddhism is getting to the point of fundamentalist fanaticism, of course it's not Buddhism. The point is incorporating balance into your life. In that regard, there is nothing wrong with boxing.
    So of course boxing is not Buddhist- is that what you're saying?

I would think working toward being a pure minded Buddhist is a step in the right direction, at least.

I used to watch MMA and I enjoy watching pro football, but, strictly speaking from the point of view of Buddhism, if nothing else, it's a waste of precious time. Some people liked watching Oprah and like soap operas, which are also a waste of time. I think the precept of non-harm is directed toward letting tendencies toward violence, even organized and agreed-upon violence, go away by themselves.

IMO, almost anything including war could be rationalized under the principle of "yang". Just because people have been doing violence to each other as long as there has been a human species doesn't necessarily make it a good thing. IMO the point of Buddhism is that humans should evolve beyond that.

• As far as I know Shaolin monks beginning with Bodhidharma have indeed been practicing martial arts and Bodhidharma is the first patriarch of Zen. So obviously he didn't see anything wrong with that. As was said by @Zayl it's the mind set that is important. However, I do agree with @SherabDorje that watching those activities on TV you have to really understand your own mind set. What is it you're after. Is it the act of somebody beating somebody up, or you enjoying the skill that these people show. As anything in life, these sports can be seen from different angles.
    edited May 2011
    @ SherabDorje,
    You're thinking that organized fighting is a brutal and nonsensical thing to do. But you see by thinking that you're putting down the fighters and putting yourself in a "higher" state, basically it's prideful thinking. It isn't really a pure state of mind.

As a fighter of many years I understand where they come from. We work on our bodies and our strikes constantly. To the point where when you throw a punch you can feel the power of it. It usually ends up being hundreds of pounds stronger than someone without training. Then when we get in the ring with someone who has that same fire in their belly, that same attitude of conditioning themselves to reach their peak, that soul of a tiger, it's fun and it's a thrill. It's fun fighting with someone who is giving it all they got just like you.

And then you get the stories of the fight, that you never forget. I have some great fight stories. To get paid for that, is even more special. It's a test of your human body, your human will to persevere, and to conquer. Animals naturally fight with each other, compete with each other and so do humans. It's in our nature to want to compete and conquer. You either understand that or you don't. It doesn't mean we let it consume us.

Balance is key. That's why the *yin yang is the symbol of martial arts. Because without that symbol its almost too brutal. Most organized fighters respect balance. But even if they don't care about the yin yang, as long as they got love in their lives, that is basically the same as Buddhism. Love is the opposite of fighting.

Organized fighting is just that, organized. So with that in mind, it's really no big deal as long as both fighters want it. So with that reason alone Buddhists should not protest it, and just let it be. To protest it and say it's "not" Buddhist, or that it's not right, that's more prideful thinking rather than compassionate thinking.
  • Perhaps, intention is key.

Watch or play boxing games because of what? If these motivations are negative then the result of playing will ultimately be so.

Boxing is a discipline, however, where individuals pit their skills against one another in a monitored setting in order to refine their discipline. I would say, then, that comparing it to ufc style entertainment is unfair. Is one appreciating skill or enjoying violence?

Yet, the OP posed this question and so I think his/her motivation for doing so should be the basis of a valid answer. Perhaps unease is felt whilst playing.

Maybe study the mind whilst playing these games and discern whether or not you find the effects affect your practice in any way. Then think about would would be a wise way to proceed.

Video games tend to leave me worn out and dazed but that's just me ;)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @MrSerenity Its fine if you want to be a martial artist and fight with others in a contest, but as you yourself said its not really Buddhism. In Buddhism we try to overcome and see through our instincts and conditioning. Balance is key to living an harmonious samsaric existence, but ultimately the good (and the bad) times end. So in Buddhism we try to free ourselves from this cycle of up and down, good and bad, death and rebirth, yin and yang.
  • @SherabDorje

I agree, in general even without refrencing Buddhism, that these things can be colossal wastes of time. But with the right approach they can also be deeply re-charging and inspiring.

Its called recreation and it serves an important purpose. Periods of rest and unwinding and just pure out pleasure have a time and place and they often can be great allies in leading a very productive life. It is truly a great curse/benefit depending on how we use it.

Also, someone said about causing harm. Its true that fighting sports cause more direct harm but still, pretty much any sport you are trying to cause harm to the opponent. Even in tennis, you try to cause harm to the persons body to make it slower and easier to beat.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Hopefully someone doesn't try to be a pure minded Buddhist all the time.
    Hopefully they do! Cause that would be a very good thing.

:)
  • You're sounding a bit like Ned Flanders there seeker lol.
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Buddha quite explicitly said, that no sport or show or game or anything entertaining is permitted.

DN 1
    PTS: D i 1
    Brahmajāla Sutta: The All-embracing Net of Views
    translated from the Pali by
    Bhikkhu Bodhi

13. "Or he might say: 'Whereas some honorable recluses and brahmins, while living on food offered by the faithful, attend unsuitable shows, such as: shows featuring dancing, singing, or instrumental music; theatrical performances; narrations of legends; music played by hand-clapping, cymbals, and drums; picture houses; acrobatic performances; combats of elephants, horses, buffaloes, bulls, goats, rams, cocks and quails; stick-fights, boxing and wrestling, sham-fights, roll-calls, battle-arrays, and regimental reviews — the recluse Gotama abstains from attending such unsuitable shows.'
    The lay person however, decides for himself. Buddha cared not whether other people understood or took his teachings to heart and to what extent (being completely liberated from such thoughts and feelings). You are responsible for your own salvation.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited May 2011
  • Ficus_religiosaFicus_religiosa Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Same text:

5. "If, bhikkhus, others speak in dispraise of me, or in dispraise of the Dhamma, or in dispraise of the Sangha, you should not give way to resentment, displeasure, or animosity against them in your heart. [...]

"If, bhikkhus, others speak in dispraise of me, or in dispraise of the Dhamma, or in dispraise of the Sangha, you should unravel what is false and point it out as false, saying: 'For such and such a reason this is false, this is untrue, there is no such thing in us, this is not found among us.' [...]

6. "And if, bhikkhus, others speak in praise of me, or in praise of the Dhamma, or in praise of the Sangha, you should not give way to jubilation, joy, and exultation in your heart. For if you were to become jubilant, joyful, and exultant in such a situation, you would only be creating an obstacle for yourselves. If others speak in praise of me, or in praise of the Dhamma, or in praise of the Sangha, you should acknowledge what is fact as fact, saying: 'For such and such a reason this is a fact, this is true, there is such a thing in us, this is found among us.'
  • @SherabDorje... Also, someone said about causing harm. Its true that fighting sports cause more direct harm but still, pretty much any sport you are trying to cause harm to the opponent. Even in tennis, you try to cause harm to the persons body to make it slower and easier to beat.
    Come on. There's no comparison between tennis and boxing in terms of intent, contact, or violence. Recreation and exercise are fine, but for Buddhists boxing just doesn't cut it.

I think we're now getting into the rationalization phase of this thread.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Buddhism and boxing? I suppose like anything else in life, it's how you approach it. Maybe as a form of physical and mental discipline and learning non-lethal self defense? I suppose it's not much different from other martial arts, which can be pretty brutal if misapplied.

If any boxers are out there, can you face an opponent in the ring with compassion and no desire to actually hurt someone, only see who is the most skilled? If you lose, are you happy for the other person and determined to improve your skills?

edited May 2011
    I am a boxer Cinojer.
    I have done kickboxing for a while (Muay Thai). Also been a fan of boxing a long time. Muay Thai is basically boxing, just with kicks, elbows and knees added in.

I put on gloves a mouth piece, a head piece, and so does my opponent when we get in a ring to spar. We use pads sometimes too. However, there is a difference between sparring to test techniques, and fighting each other to test our skills.

To test techniques in a repetition sequence usually we're punching and kicking at around 75-85 percent. It's very controlled, and respectful. It is a mutual effort to help each other improve. But now, in a sparring match where you test each others skills in a real time fight, that is different.

I would say sparring can vary between 85-95 percent aggression. Not anger, just aggression in trying to win the fight. Then if the fight is for money, or for trophies that's where the 100 percent is present. Both fighters are presenting a gift to each other though.

When you enter the ring with another fighter, it's an opportunity to unleash your fury on someone else who also wants to do the same thing. It's a test of your might, your skill, your prowess, your ability to follow rules, etc. So it's not about anger, it's about the thrill of the fight.

That's not Buddhist, but I don't see why it's wrong. Both fighters want to do it, both have probably won and lost before. So they know what they're in for. It's just the nature of the person fighting in the ring to want to do that. They're being true to themselves. Never once had I fought in a ring where I doubted myself, or asked myself if I really wanted to do it. I always wanted to, and it was always a thrill whether I won or lost.

So anyone who says boxing is wrong or not proper for Buddhists probably does not understand the soul of a fighter. I am a fighter, but I am also a lover too. There is a balance there, some people either understand that or they can't.

I should also add that the school I did Muay Thai at had a Thai Buddha right at the front of the mat. It was a very important part of the school.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    So anyone who says boxing is wrong or not proper for Buddhists probably does not understand the soul of a fighter.
    People who say a "75-100% aggressive" (your words) sport like boxing is appropriate clearly does not understand Buddhism, no matter how many Buddha statues you look at while punching, kicking and elbowing people.

So anyone who says boxing is wrong or not proper for Buddhists probably does not understand the soul of a fighter.
    People who say a "75-100% aggressive" (your words) sport like boxing is appropriate clearly does not understand Buddhism, no matter how many Buddha statues you look at while punching, kicking and elbowing people.

Daozen, why does everyone have to agree with you?

• Buddhism and Boxing?
    Depends how many precepts you are following. There's nothing in the 5 precepts that prohibits watching/playing boxing.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited May 2011
    They don't :) Mr Serenity certainly never has, on this topic at least. But when an issue is as black and white as this one, i feel compelled to state the obvious.

• Buddhism is about the heart, about doing the right thing and about compassion Daozen. Two fighters beating the hell out of each other in a ring is not exactly compassionate, but it's not wrong too. Because they both love it for the thrill of the fight.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    a person who fights neither to win or lose. now that is something interesting! to fight to fight. how can one defeat such man?
    They don't :) Mr Serenity certainly never has, on this topic at least. But when an issue is as black and white as this one, i feel compelled to state the obvious.

Well, perhaps since not all of us agree with you, it's not as black and white as you think.

• robotrobot Veteran
    I don't know much about the soul of a fighter. I think that if someone can stay focused and without anger or fear or hatred while in the ring with a fierce opponent it shows a good deal of non attachment and discipline. Even on a forum like this one, people are testy and easily offended if their view is challenged or they think they have been insulted. Any hint of conflict and the mods step in and break it up. If a person can accept defeat in a boxing match, (or Judo, wrestling, ect), they might find that they learn some humility that can be helpful in other areas of their life as well. Winning and losing in sports can help young people to find their place. Judo competition was one of the best things that I did for myself when I was younger, and I encourage my son to take it up. It doesn't make sense to say that someone who competes in martial arts can't understand or benefit from Buddhism. Any activity can be a part of the path to awakening.
  • Nobody has said that someone who competes in martial arts (I don't think boxing is classed as a martial art btw) cannot understand or benefit from buddhism.

My understanding is that to win you have to harm and to motivate yourself and build the necessary level of aggression you have to drop the compassion you might otherwise feel for your opponent. How does boxing square with 'May all beings be well and happy'? The loser will be neither of those things as a direct result fo your actions.

Boxing isn't for me and I don't see it as compatible with buddhism either.

My understanding is that to win you have to harm and to motivate yourself and build the necessary level of aggression you have to drop the compassion you might otherwise feel for your opponent.
    Last evening a group of four of us got together to go out to dinner and then play a couple of table games. We played Parcheesi at one point. It is an aggressive board game. I guess we Buddhists can't play board games either.

edited May 2011
    Nobody has said that someone who competes in martial arts (I don't think boxing is classed as a martial art btw) cannot understand or benefit from buddhism.

My understanding is that to win you have to harm and to motivate yourself and build the necessary level of aggression you have to drop the compassion you might otherwise feel for your opponent. How does boxing square with 'May all beings be well and happy'? The loser will be neither of those things as a direct result fo your actions.

Boxing isn't for me and I don't see it as compatible with buddhism either.

Muay Thai is kickboxing, and also a martial art (the art of eight limbs). It is more brutal than American boxing, due to the elbows and feet added in. However, in actuality the most violent and aggressive martial art I've ever done was Kendo. This was the martial art where I received the most injuries almost on a weekly basis. It was actually from that art of killing with a sword where I learned about zen and Buddhism.

Even though we spent 1 hour+ killing each other with swords, no one ever actually died. We always bowed to each other at the beginning and end of a match, and regardless of who won the match we always said thank you to each other. And at the end of every class there was always "mokuso" meditation.

So this is why I feel that if Buddhism can co-exist with Kendo, and also Muay Thai it can also be fine with boxing. If one doesn't like it though, then of course just don't watch it.
  • The participating in or watching of shows - like boxing - is not cultivating the mind towards enlightenment. The Buddha said that very clearly (as I quoted).

IF you want to do it, is up to you. It's just not bringing you closer to nirvana. I don't think it's necessary to make all these twists and turns to get away from that simple fact.

The question was "Is it wrong to watch/play boxing video games and etc according to Buddhism texts?"

And the answer is simply "yes".

The question was "Is it wrong to watch/play boxing video games and etc according to Buddhism texts?"

And the answer is simply "yes".
    Which texts specifically.

• *sigh*

I think too often we become attached to what is or is not Buddhist. If Mr. Serenity finds that his Buddhism and his love of fighting can mutually co-exist then more power to him (so to speak) I say.