Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism&Medicine

Weird_ArtistWeird_Artist Explorer
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
hello, I have had a quick search and can't seem to find the exact answers I am looking for:
Does Buddhism approve of the many life lengthening treatments available today? Or are we simply prolonging our suffering?
Because doctors are human, therefore some of them may well have sexual thoughts although they suppress them, are intimate examinations appropriate for the No sexual misconduct 'rule'?
How does Buddhism work with antibiotics? Is killing Bacteria or Viruses technically OK? What about parasites such as worms? Where is the line that separates killing and healing?
I know that all answers are points of view based on Buddhist teaching, I'm not looking for definitive yes/no, just guidance from those of you in the know, to make my own conclusions. Thanks!

Comments

• The basic rule of thumb is that Buddhism tends toward "situational ethics" in all ethical decisions.

It tends toward whatever does the most good or does the least harm.
  • thanks, I think I am taking details a bit too seriously again, I just want to try and make the right decisions in life :)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "Does Buddhism approve of the many life lengthening treatments available today? Or are we simply prolonging our suffering?"

There's nothing inherently wrong with lengthening our lives, in some of the texts its said that the human lifespan over time will vary between an average of 10 years up to 84,000 years. If we're too attached to extending our lives though, obsessing about our diet and exercise we won't have the mind for proper practice and when death inevitably comes, whether its at 75 or 105, we'll have mental suffering.

"Because doctors are human, therefore some of them may well have sexual thoughts although they suppress them, are intimate examinations appropriate for the No sexual misconduct 'rule'?"

First, its not a rule, its a precept so someone would have to take it voluntarily in order to break it. Second, its a medical procedure not a sexual one. If a doctor was getting his kicks out of it or abusing his patients then I think it probably would.

"How does Buddhism work with antibiotics? Is killing Bacteria or Viruses technically OK? What about parasites such as worms? Where is the line that separates killing and healing?"

Don't know, this gets down to what is considered a sentient being. I don't think that bacteria or viruses are, neither does HHDL. Parasites or worms are a harder case. I imagine it would be breaking the first precept to kill them but I imagine under those circumstances most of us would go ahead and kill them if it meant being healthy or not.
  • thanks
  • I'm sure HHDL got antibiotics and intravenous antifungals when he had his gall bladder surgery.

Lama Yeshe (FPMT) was extensively treated for enlargement of the heart at Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles, although he stated that he was miserable about it. When he finally went into cardiac arrest, the resuscitation efforts went on for about two and a half hours, bless him.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Intimate exams aren't misconduct unless they go bad. Most docs observe ethical conduct rules, and even call a nurse or assistant into the room, due to lawsuits about unethical docs in the past.

Tibetan Medicine has its own type of antibiotics, so killing bacteria apparently is ok.

I'm not sure what you mean by "life=extending treatments". I would think that extending one's life is good; it gives one more time to contribute to humanity, further oneself on the path toward Enlightenment, and help alleviate suffering for others. Tibetan Medicine doesn't advocate unnecessary surgeries, because they disrupt the "Qi" meridians of the body (whatever that's called in Tibetan). I have this from a highly-respected Tibetan doctor, the niece of one of HHDL's former docs.
  • thanks both, I don't have any kind of spiritual leader here, there are no Buddhists I can access without books or internet, so please understand if I ask questions that seem basic or irrelevant. Thanks.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    It's ok, Artist. GOod topic. BTW, Tibetan medicine considers meditation to be a life-extending practice. It cuts down on stress hormones, which are very damaging to the body. The more stress one expriences, the more one is shortening one's life. Meditation reverses that. That's what the Tib. docs say. And Western medicine, now, as well.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2011
    hello, I have had a quick search and can't seem to find the exact answers I am looking for:
    Does Buddhism approve of the many life lengthening treatments available today? Or are we simply prolonging our suffering?
    The answer to that all depends on the specific treatment and circumstances involved. Moreiver, it should be made clear that the precepts aren't equivalent to commandments in that they're training rules that are voluntarily undertaken rather than edicts or commands dictated by a higher power and/or authority. In essence, these precepts are undertaken to protect oneself, as well as others, from the results of unskillful actions. Actions are considered unskillful when they arise out of the mental defilements of greed, hatred and delusion and lead to self-affliction, to the affliction of others or to both (MN 61).
    Because doctors are human, therefore some of them may well have sexual thoughts although they suppress them, are intimate examinations appropriate for the No sexual misconduct 'rule'?
    Personally, I don't think that a doctor's examination would classify as sexual misconduct seeing how simply having sexual thoughts that arise quite naturally isn't a breach of the precept. Sexual misconduct generally consists of any explicit sexual conduct that involves violence, manipulation and/or deceit.
    How does Buddhism work with antibiotics? Is killing Bacteria or Viruses technically OK? What about parasites such as worms? Where is the line that separates killing and healing?
    I know that all answers are points of view based on Buddhist teaching, I'm not looking for definitive yes/no, just guidance from those of you in the know, to make my own conclusions. Thanks!
    I don't see why this would be a problem from a Buddhist point of view. The body, by its very nature, is susceptible to aging, illness and death; however, the Buddha didn't teach that people must suffer unnecessarily. Things like antibiotics and vaccinations can help cure and prevent illnesses, and I don't see why the Buddha would object to that. The Buddha himself promoted the use of medical remedies were that available at the time.

In addition, things like viruses are generally not considered to be 'living beings' (pana). As Bhikkhu Bodhi explains, pana means "that which breathes" and denotes "any living being that has breath and consciousness," which would most likely exclude viruses, and possibly even bacteria. Not only that, but vaccines don't actively kill bacteria and viruses anyway, our own immune system does. And since there's no intention (i.e., kamma) involved in the functioning of our immune systems (as it's an automatic bodily process), it wouldn't violate the first precept in either case, so it's a moot point.

When it comes to things like parasites, however, which are a bit more advanced and do seem to possess at least a rudimentary consciousness, it may technically be a violation of the first precept to kill them. But this seems to be a grey area.

From the Buddhist point of view, this is unfortunately, but it's also the nature of life. Buddhism acknowledges that life is full of danger and death; it simply seeks to limit how much we contribute to that while also trying to alleviate our minds from suffering.

If a person's health depends on ridding their body of a harmful parasite, it's something that's done grudgingly and can be off-set (sort of speaking) by other skillful deeds, or what in Buddhism is called 'making merit' (e.g., giving to charity, volunteering at an animal shelter, offering alms to monastics, practicing meditation and developing wholesome mental states like metta, etc.) and dedicating any merit made from their good deeds to any of the beings they may have harmed, whether intentionally or unintentionally, as a way of saying they're sorry and to show respect.

• thank you for the thoughtful replies :)
  • It strikes me that refusing medical treatment which would prolong life because of a desire to avoid suffering could be regarded as a form of suicide in Buddhism. The person would die before achieving everything s/he could in this lifetime to escape samsara.
    I sometimes feel 'cheated' of a quick and painless death as I have a sudden death syndrome but have had an ICD (implanted defibrillator) which prevents death from cardiac arrest. However, what I consider now is that I have more time to practice before the inevitable occurs!
    I also use the suffering that is entailed with medication, my heart condition and frequent surgeries to further my practice.
  • thanks Fran, it wasn't a personal attack at all, I have a very good friend who has heart disease and is having her 3rd operation in a few days, so I hear where you are coming from.