Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are the most important instrumental things you APPLY daily from Buddhist teachings?

edited June 2011 in Buddhism Today
?

Comments

• edited June 2011
    @girllikesam What are the most important instrumental things YOU apply daily from Buddhist teachings?

;)
  • edited June 2011
    yoniso manasikara ("appropriate attention") :zombie: metta, satipatthana (Frames of Reference) :sawed: anapanasati (Keeping the Breathe in Mind):buck:
  • 5 precepts. :D
  • Kindess, Honesty and Attention.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    there is only your mind and your relation to it. everything arises and falls within you.

i am a lava lamp.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Do unto others......"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think this is my favorite Buddhist quote and the one I try to bring to mind often, its by Shantideva.

Where would I possibly find enough leather
    With which to cover the surface of the earth?
    But (just) leather on the soles of my shoes
    Is equivalent to covering the earth with it

Likewise it is not possible for me
    To restrain the external course of things
    But should I restrain this mind of mine
    What would be the need to restrain all else?
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Hi Girllikesam,

The whole of the Noble Eightfold Path is required for spiritual growth. There are no short-cuts.

Metta,

Guy
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    seconded.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    1 Respect Buddha nature. Trust yourself.
    2 Respect your fortune to have leisure in a world with a buddha.
    3 Respect that there is a method and guidance from others in the teachings of buddha.

4 Practice with emptiness to release grasping to this life
    5 Practice with suffering and karma to release grasping to sense pleasures
    6 Practice with compassion and kindness to release grasping to peace

To overcome not knowing how to practice buddhism: 7 refuge, 8 cultivate bodhicitta, 9 training in aspirational bodhicitta, 10 training in action bodhicitta, 11 the paramitas (generosity, ethics, patience, perseverence, meditative concentration, wisdom of emptiness), 12 the aspects of the path (accumulation, application, insight, meditation, perfection), 13 the ten bodhissatva bhumis, 14 perfect buddha hood

Today I am practicing 123 456

The noble 8fold path is all of them

Sano's lute string is very important. Forgive yourself and have a light touch.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Hi @girllikesam, you have posted some questions but haven't shared many of your ideas or opinions about Buddhism. Are you studying the dharma, doing research for school or simply curious?
  • Curious, all I've really been able to remember is the 8 fold path a 4 truths, I need to educate myself more. These 2 things were very helpful to me, looking for more of the same I guess.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "More of the same" would be right.
    All teachings are the 4 Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path, but simply in more elaborated form.
    By all means study other things, but it all comes back to those.
    They themselves are a lifetime's practice.
    What more do you need?
  • @federica Interesting, thats good to know.
    I'm not sure what else I need per say, just thought there was more I actually should know, what book or site do you recommend federica?
    Access to Insight.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    -precepts
    -mindfulness
    -relaxing and smiling.
  • Buddhas teachings are very common sense for me..for example the 8 fold path is something everyone should be practising anyway whether buddhist or not..

and the 5 precepts are even *more* common sense which most people do follow anyway...

so other than these, i try to meditate everyday. (which again isnt really buddhas teaching) it was developed years before buddha even tryed it himself.

So i meditate and try to be the best, nicest person i can be. i try to be honest with myself and others..
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Letting go"

:)
  • "Letting go"

:)
    yes! very good one..'so simple yet so hard'
  • Compassion

• I apply the understanding of emptiness and impermanence in my daily worldview.
    it helps to break off the clinging and stress and brings great bliss :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    1. Have confidence and know that you have the right nature to let go of suffering
    2. Reflect that you have this life and it is slipping by. Death is uncertain. Its like a raindrop falling, inevitably it will hit the eart and end.
    3. There is a method to liberation
    4. suffering, karma, impermanence, compassion
    5. take refuge and study/meditate...

How does that sound girllikesam?

• GuiGui Veteran
    nondualism
    don't stop breathing
  • anicca anicca anicca dukkha
    anicca anicca anatta dukkha

basically the three marks... almost like a mantra