Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How does one "act" Buddhist?

edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Yes yes, we are supposed to show compassion to others, but is there a specific way we Buddhists are supposed act? Did Buddha mention this in any of his teachings?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited June 2011
    its all about "being". just be and you'll respond accordingly to the given situation.
    there is infinite expressions of compassion which arise when we are empty.

its all about being authentic and spontaneous. not subscribing to a doctrine or ideal.
    realizing our inherent buddha nature and then operating like a mirror.

the mirror reflects but the mirror also moves in a certain way. buddhism is map towards truth and then once truth is realized, we are liberated from all maps.

true compassion is unconditional. true compassion is doing what is most obvious in a given situation when our being, mind and heart are completely enlightened and aligned.

thus it is imperative to find our true nature/true nature of reality by bringing consciousness upon itself and realizing the emptiness of all things.

smell ya later!
  • Follow the Eightfold Path and just do it skillfully. In Buddhism there is an emphasis on "Skillful Means". When you are presented with a situation, respond in accordance with the Eightfold Path and Skillful Means.

No big deal.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

An old saying: "Just because you go to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car." The same is true for Buddhism. Yes, you can get a tattoo, quote a book, buy a robe, visit revered places, and tack the Four Noble Truths and Eightfold Path on the refrigerator, but if your neighbor fails to do such things, that doesn't mean s/he is or isn't a Buddhist.

Pay attention and take responsibility and one day maybe you wake up as a Buddhist. I honestly don't know.
    Todd0248
  • You know, "acting like a Buddhist" is not so easy to describe.
    In humanistic buddhism we emphasize being in good relations with society and by our behaviour show a good example to others. Just acting according with precepts and put ourselves behind others is good enough. Why do I think so? My friend once told me (after one year of knowing each other): "You're always satisfied adn never complain, though hvae a lot of work- always help others!" That time I realized suddenly that even if we do nothing "spectacular", but just act good in our daily life, we can in fact inspire others to act good and change their behaviour.
    I think we should start from working on our character- never complain (people have enough worries,no need to give them more!), smile to people, be kind even to those who we don't like, or stop ourselves from gossping. Who knows, maybe if one sees that Buddhist are like this, he/she will want to know more about Buddhism? :)
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited June 2011
    For me, a Buddhist is "defined" by the way he/she reacts to the ever changing situations presented to us by life. We must put our teachings/studies into practical use. We must develop, and then utilize, skillful attitudes towards life; a way of going about things. A way of life conducive to peace and love.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Be nice, get wise, mind your mind.

Namaste
  • In four words...Loving, merciful, humble, and patient.
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    edited June 2011
    One place to start might be with "Right Speech". For example, avoiding gossip, backbiting and lies, and abstaining from speech that is abusive or inflammatory.

Especially relevant at the workplace, IMHO.
    Todd0248
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >How does one "act" Buddhist?

No killing, no stealing, no lying, no sexual misconduct, no taking of intoxicants, is the starting point. :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Be nice, get wise, mind your mind.

Namaste
    I like that: "mind your mind".

:)
  • Just be yourself, but with compassion, patience, and generosity. Buddhism isn't an act. It's psychology.
  • you don't act buddhist, you should be buddhist if you wish to go down that path. don't strive for it either :)
  • you don't. you act like yourself. that's about as buddhist as you can possibly be.
  • swaydamswaydam Veteran
    Buddhists act/live with simplicity.
  • Todd0248Todd0248 Australia New

Follow the five precepts

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Simple. Act like a Satanist but without the blood.

@Todd0248 have a look at the thread date. If it's over 6 months old, chances are, it's dead in the water. Responding isn't worth it, particularly as I can tell you the last time the OP checked in was 2012....

This discussion has been closed.