Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” -Lao Tzu

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” -Lao Tzu

Sometimes the only way to create something new and wonderful is to completely shed what’s been. Don’t be afraid to evolve. Don’t let yourself get attached to ideas of who you are that no longer serve you.

Give yourself permission to do something new, or something old differently. Give yourself the freedom to be whoever you want to be in this moment, regardless of who you’ve been. Even if you’re not fully confident. Even if you’ve made mistakes. Who cares–we all do.

This moment is your chance to be the person you want to be. The question is: what would that person do?

http://www.wisdm.org/what-i-might-be/

Comments

• “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” -Lao Tzu
    How did this quiet little thread escape my notice?'
    This is exactly Stephen Batchelor's explanation of non-self, in a nutshell. He wrote a whole chapter on it, but here it is in just over a dozen words. So simple! This is the only explanation of no-self I've ever been able to get my mind around.

Thanks, Leon. :) Nice little thread.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” -Lao Tzu
    How did this quiet little thread escape my notice?'
    This is exactly Stephen Batchelor's explanation of non-self, in a nutshell. He wrote a whole chapter on it, but here it is in just over a dozen words. So simple! This is the only explanation of no-self I've ever been able to get my mind around.

Thanks, Leon. :) Nice little thread.
    You are more than welcome!:)
  • Really sick quote.

Thanks Leon!
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    When you let go of who you are and become who you might be then you are in a position again of who you are.
    Will you let go of that self as well?
  • It's tricky business, since we are mostly deluded by the "false self" full of poisons. So the "somebody else" we are trying to become might not help us purify our mind.

• When you let go of who you are and become who you might be then you are in a position again of who you are.
    Yes, swing, because hopefully, you're always evolving.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    When you let go of who you are and become who you might be then you are in a position again of who you are.
    Yes, swing, because hopefully, you're always evolving.
    My problem with "no-self" as referred to here had tripped me up at first, because it is so obvious that I figured there had to be more to it!! Obviously one changes all the time, so I don't really know why the assumption is that people don't understand that.
    More precise would be to ask people to double check if their perception of who they think they are truthfully matches their perception of reality - instead of declaring an ever evolving self a 'no-self'.
    >>>>Or did I get that wrong?

• @possibilities What is so obvious to you escapes many people. The "one changes all the time" bit is a central teaching of Buddhism. It's not so intuitive for some, hence elaborate teachings developed around it. The thing is, some people become invested in their self-image. Some people even think something along the lines of: "oh, I can't change, this is just the way I am". But some people are more naturally "self-less". For people like that, it's hard to understand the whole Buddhist no-self thing. You're not alone. ;)

I also think that partly, the goal of realizing no-self is aimed at people who cling to an exaggerated sense of self, i.e. arrogance, self-ishness, and the like.
  • Beautiful, Leon! Thank you!