Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can you kill somebody with one or multiple fist punches or Knee to the head?

edited November 2011 in General Banter
In a street fight situation can you kill somebody with multiple or one punch to the head?

Elbows and kneed to the head can kill?

% of chance of killing somebody?

This is one of the main reasons i dont fight is becouse i dont wana go jail for killing somebody.

Comments

• um...er... sorry you live in a place that generates questions like this for you. It sound serious. The best strategy, obviously, is to stay away from street fights. Is the situation so bad, that sometimes you're not able to avoid them?
  • I've moved this to General Banter as it's not anything to do with the Buddhist practice (not "Buddhism for Beginners"-appropriate).
  • You can kill someone very easily with any kind of blow to the head, unlike in the movies, where they knock someone out and they're fine afterwards. If you want to fight, do a martial art in a controlled setting, where the fighting is for sport, not for hurting people.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    You can kill a person with ALMOST anything you can think of if it is done properly. One fist punch or knee to the face is very unlikely to kill, but they may fall backwards and smack their head or it may trigger something - but multiple blows can result in a fatlity. I am curious though, why do you ask?? :scratch: And why here lol...
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Perhaps take up a martial art if this is a big concern for you. If you're skilled enough you should be able to defend yourself and neutralize an aggressor without causing serious injury to them.
  • In a street fight situation can you kill somebody with multiple or one punch to the head?

This is one of the main reasons i dont fight is becouse i dont wana go jail for killing somebody.
    1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Unknowable

4. I'm very sorry you have so much anger inside you. So you don't want to go to jail for killing someone, but you wouldn't mind killing them if you didn't go to jail? Perhaps you really need to examine your life a lot closer.
  • How can you kill that which hasn't been born?

(I just thought I'd go a bit 'Zen' here :p )

I also think the OP has spent too much time on the X-box.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I believe @StoicBuddhistAlex lives in El Salvador so random street violence may be part of his experience.
  • I believe @StoicBuddhistAlex lives in El Salvador so random street violence may be part of his experience.
    That may be true, but that doesn't mean he (or anyone else) should participate in it willingly.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited November 2011
    In a street fight situation can you kill somebody with multiple or one punch to the head?

How about this for a reason, "First Precept", its just not nice to go around fighting people, all violence is bad, not just the violence that results in killing.

NO violence = ZERO % chance of killing someone with violence !

I can't believe I am even reading a post about how to avoid killing someone when I beat them up in a street fight, so I don't have to go to jail for it, on a Buddhist forum :scratch:
  • There was a case in the UK not many years ago where a group of 14-17 year olds, well 3 kids were drunk walking home and decided to damage a random car. The owner came out, a middle ages man with a family and he was not aggresive or anything of that nature, but the 3 kids attacked him outside of his house and stamped on is face then subsequently ran off. I am sure it was a mix of alcohol and being together that got the best of them, but even something which may not seem that deadly turned out to be very deadly. You really have to observe your actions because if you walk around with such anger and get into fights, you could end up easily behind bars.
  • Yes.

And it depends on your physical strength. If you're built like a bear you'll do much more damage than if you're skin and bones. This is partly why I had to stop fighting competitively haha. I have no idea on how to hold back, when I hit someone I can't help but put every single ounce of myself into it.

But for the most part if you just punch them in the face your chances of killing them are practically nil. You can also cause a whole lot of pain without any lasting damage by jamming your thumb into their armpit as hard as possible. I mean HARD, to the point where you run the risk of breaking your thumb. Seems weird, but it works. Try it on yourself and see.
  • a middle ages man
    Wow! He'd be pretty old by now. Like 500-1500 years old!! :)
  • I wouldn't say this is anger on the part of S.B.Alex. It may just be survival in an extremely inhuman environment. I'd like to know more about the situation. Is avoiding violence possible? How do his friends and neighbors deal with it, are they part of it, or are they able to avoid it? He did post a video clip of it recently, and it looked completely out of control, with innocent pedestrians and children getting victimized by it.

Alex, are you still there?
    ....Alex? :sawed:
  • LMAO mountains, yes what a nice little joke that was :) Why does the 's' have to be right next to the 'd' on the keyboard?? And no wise comments either :angry:
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited November 2011
    It's rare for a person to die from a hard punch, kick or an elbow to the head, but its possible. The way someone would die from that type of blow is if they were hit so hard their skull would fracture and then it would injure the brain. It sounds severe and messed up and it is.

If you're at risk of getting into street fights you should take martial arts. The more you study the more confident you will feel of your ability to take people down (if needed) without killing them. The only reason to kill someone in a street fight would be if their energy was fiercely dedicated on trying to kill you. If you accidentally killed someone in a fight, the key words to tell the cops are;
    "I feared for my life."

You have to mean it too. It's only when it's a life or death matter that you should kill your opponent. Sometimes it's your best choice at survival. It's possible to win street fights without fatalities. But if someone assaulted me on the street or broke into my property I would not hold back. I'd beat them without anger, that simple. So if you ever need to, fight to protect, but without anger. I think if you can fight without anger to protect yourself and others, then you will probably not kill.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @StoicBuddhistAlex, perhaps you could focus more on the passive Buddhist approach to living dangerously, rather than the aggressive, violent means of doing so.
    Thanks to all for your constructive comments, but seriously - more of the same, and it will just become unpleasant to read.
This discussion has been closed.