Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New profile fields

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited November 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
When you click "Edit My Account" from your profile, you'll find some new fields: Location, Twitter, Affiliation, and Languages Spoken. They'll show up in the sidebar of your profile if you choose to fill them in.

Expect more profile-related changes to come.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I imported everyone's "Religious Affiliation" from the old forum software to the "Affiliation" field if anyone's confused how that got filled in for them :)
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    It would be nice to have an option to be notified when someone quotes you, I don't think this is possible right now.
    It would be nice to have an option to be notified when someone quotes you, I don't think this is possible right now.
    This is actually something we've been talking about adding to Vanilla (the software we use). It's a bit of an undertaking, so it's still a ways off I think.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Finally! :D
    Now we just need a general "about me" section.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    When you click "Edit My Account" from your profile, you'll find some new fields: Location, Twitter, Affiliation, and Languages Spoken. They'll show up in the sidebar of your profile if you choose to fill them in.

Expect more profile-related changes to come.
    Um..... can't see them....

:scratch:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    I think it's because a few bugs need to be worked out. Might be interfering with another plug-in or something.
    Yeah it seems to have broken Who's Online, of all things. It'll be back shortly. :-/
    edited November 2011
    Back now :) If you entered info earlier it might''ve gotten deleted, sorry. :( Should be good to go now.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yup, good to go now.
    invisible when on line doesn't seem to work....?
    Originally in a different purpose-made thread, from @ThailandTom

"Hey Lincoln, I assume you musy be a busy chap, but I was wondering if at some point you could add a feature where you can choose a type face when posting. It is just a thought, thanks Tom :)"

re-posted here to prevent too many threads developing....
    Any way we can also focus on thread merging....? Sometimes we have several threads touching on similar topics all going on at once.....

Thanks....
  • Thanks for all your good and hard work @Lincoln.

Mucho appreciated,

Abu
    "I was wondering if at some point you could add a feature where you can choose a type face when posting."
    Nope, not going to be doing fonts & colors. People made bad choices for legibility and don't take people with poor vision into account.
    Any way we can also focus on thread merging....?
    Perversely it's our theme stopping me from turning that on, not that the feature is missing. Because of the customizations I did last year, adding the buttons etc to make this work means I have to undo the theme and start over, basically. 'Tis a weekend adventure for me sometime soon.
  • Pushing the "like" button :thumbup:
    edited November 2011
    Any way we can also focus on thread merging....?
    Perversely it's our theme stopping me from turning that on, not that the feature is missing. Because of the customizations I did last year, adding the buttons etc to make this work means I have to undo the theme and start over, basically. 'Tis a weekend adventure for me sometime soon.
    You're just too clever for your own pants. So there. :D

Edit: repeat request:
    "invisible when on line doesn't seem to function....?

• Will the wordpress profile be incorporated into the discussion profile?

If you click on the newbuddhist.com banner at the top left you are taken to the blog page. There you have a Wordpress dashboard and Wordpress profile. It is the Wordpress profile that I'm talking about. It has fields for first/last name, nickname and biographical info.
    No, in fact I don't even mean for you to have access to the WordPress profiles. Just ignore that, it will never be used.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    When re-editing a post, the emoticons don't seem to work.
  • Okay, one more question about profiles: Is there a way for normal users to add custom fields (such as "dinosaur")?

I'm really just asking out of curiosity and I think it'd be fun to have custom fields. My intention is NOT to add to your work load @Lincoln. I think you work hard enough :) And thanks!
    @sattvapaul Nice catch.

@skullchin An Easter egg for later ;)
  • Wow @Lincoln is handing out Easter Eggs - rock of a forum :vimp:
    Okay, one more question about profiles: Is there a way for normal users to add custom fields (such as "dinosaur")?
    Dinosaur - ?! I think that proves without a shadow of a doubt that you're a losttheploticus....