Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Zyprexa

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited January 2012 in Diet & Habits
Be careful with drugs like these

http://www.adbusters.org/magazine/99/zyprexa.html

Imagine that a virus suddenly appears in our society that makes people sleep 12–14 hours a day. Those infected with it move about somewhat slowly and seem emotionally disengaged.

Many gain huge amounts of weight – 20, 40, 60, and even 100 pounds. Often their blood sugar levels soar, and so do their cholesterol levels. A number of those struck by the mysterious illness – including young children and teenagers – become diabetic in very short order. Reports of patients occasionally dying from pancreatitis appear in the medical literature. Newspapers and magazines fill their pages with accounts of this new scourge, which is dubbed metabolic dysfunction illness, and parents are in a panic over the thought that their children might contract this horrible disease. The federal government gives hundreds of millions of dollars to scientists at the best universities to decipher the inner workings of this virus, and they report that the reason it causes such global dysfunction is that it blocks a multitude of neurotransmitter receptors in the brain – dopaminergic, serotoninergic, muscarinic, adrenergic, and histaminergic. All of those neuronal pathways in the brain are compromised. Meanwhile, MRI studies find that over a period of several years the virus shrinks the cerebral cortex, and this shrinkage is tied to cognitive decline. A terrified public clamors for a cure. Now, such an illness has in fact hit millions of American children and adults. We have just described the effects of Eli Lilly’s best-selling antipsychotic, Zyprexa.

----

I gained 30 pounds... fungus all over my body due to allergic reaction... slept till 8 PM almost daily. They are known to shrink monkey brains by around 20% volume wise. I have to kick the councellors out of my life who want me to take this crap. I've never even had a diagnosis they just call me "ill" and that I have "symptoms"

Comments

• shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I'm being treated naturopathically bassically just for drug-induced schitzo-like symptoms. Has anyone read anything about orthomolecular biology... keep the brain healthy?

Much of it is obvious I'm sure Fed would say :P
  • I skimmed through wikipedia. I find it fascinating that antipsychotics can be used to treat manic depressive disorders, and yet "As with all neuroleptic drugs, olanzapine can cause the (sometimes) irreversible movement disorder tardive dyskinesia, and the rare, but life-threatening, neuroleptic malignant syndrome. Some also associate all antipsychotics with permanent brain damage" are known side effects.

Personally I avoid all pharmaceuticals (in this sense, lab manufactured). The saying "let your food be your medicine" seems to reverberate around my skull when I look at people poisoning themselves through diet.

To say much of it is obvious is true, and yet not true. Westeners especially are taught to listen to their doctors, so after a while, they stop listening to anything but their doctors, even when their doctors may be less educated than a layperson with regard specific conditions.

I suppose there isn't alot of money to be made if people can grow their own medicine in their back garden.

• It pays to research well before taking medication, that's for sure. However, some medical conditions do need medication (in the form of actual meds) and then side effects happen. All medications have side effects, and not all medications are opt-outable.

Shanyin - I'm sorry that you had to go through such horrible side effects. How are you feeling now?
  • if you are interested in talking about diet as it related to brain health, i can help you :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    If your disease is not worse than the side effects you should not take zyprexa. I take zyprexa because my disease is worse than the side effects..

I sleep a little more. But it is better than hearing voices and becoming hospitalized. I have lost weight on zyprexa. You have to avoid carbohydrates. Eat something healthy for snacks like whole wheat bread and peanut butter. That is complex carbs in the bread while the peanut butter is as much protein as carbs.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2012
    @ajnast4r, can you help us with diet tips for mood disorder and psychotic disorders?

I take fish oil which has research showing help in mood disorder (conducted at harvard). Fish oil is also good for heart health and blood health. I take ginseng to try to get more mental alertness. I take a multivitamin. And I take Amla C which can prevent metabolic disorder/diabetes.
  • ajnast4rajnast4r Veteran
    edited January 2012
    sure, i will prefix this post by saying what im going to give is not medical nutrition therapy... re: special recommendations meant to manage or mitigate disease... what i will give is how to keep a proper diet, which tends to have beneficial effects on mood disorders.

3 basic aspects of diet that can effect mood.

Micronutrient(vitamin and mineral) intake. Even small micronutrient deficiencies can add up over time and cause some pretty weird changes in mood, so it is vital that we hit 100% intake on all vitamins and minerals everyday from FOOD. Unfortunately there are no blood tests to ensure you are hitting 100% of the RDA every day, so you need to track your diet for a bit. It can be a pain in the ass, but it's worth the effort.

Generally what I suggest is downloading a free program called cron-o-meter (http://cronometer.com/download/) and tracking your diet for 1-2 weeks... being SURE to eat your normal diet and not start trying to eat better. What we are trying to do is get a good guestimation of your NORMAL intake. At the end of the tracking period you can get your average and then email me and I can help you work on foods or supplements to correct the deficiencies.

there are a few blood tests i would consider vital if you have long standing/refractory mental illness:

Vitamin-D level: Vitamin D is really the only vitamin where eating 100% of the RDA is not adequate. Due to genetic variances, different people will need different intakes to achieve normal blood levels. Ideally we will be around 35-45ng/mL... Vitamin D deficiency is very common and can have a MAJOR impact on mood, as well as cardiovascular and immune health. every 1000iu of vitamin D you intake will increase your blood approximately 10ng/mL. You can get this test at any doctor or online at http://www.grassrootshealth.net/ . If you come back deficient email me and I will help you correct your levels.

Vitamin b12: Because of how b12 is digested in the body, which is unique, sometimes people can be deficient even with normal dietary intakes. The test you want is methylmalonic acid not total serum b12. Again email me if you come back deficient.

Folate: Certain genetic mutations can prevent dietary folate/folic acid from being converted in the body to the usable form. This one is major... there is STRONG scientific evidence that this genetic mutation is prevalent in people with mental illness. The test is for Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase Polymorphisms and can be purchased online (google: MTHFR test). There are supplemental forms of folate that do not require conversion, therefor bypassing the issue. Again, email me if you come back positive.

Keeping bloodsugar stable.

Blood sugar variances can play a huge role in mood disorders, specially the low blood sugar dip that occurs after simple sugar intake. For most people this is fairly easy to manage.

You need to:
    1) avoid simple sugars like juide (whole fruit is ok) & refined (white) starches like flour/rice.
    2) favor complex carbohydrate sources like whole grains, beans, etc.
    3) make sure you are eating regular meals. atleast 2-3 square meals per day, absolutely including breakfast.
    4) make sure each meal is balanced and includes some fat/protein. no mono-meals.

Omega-3 intake.

Most people are aware how vital omega-3 fat intake is to mental health, if not google it. Read this article: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400149/balancing-omega-3-and-omega-6.html

we need to make sure of 2 things regarding omega3 intake.

1) that we are meeting our total needs, ~2g per day for most people
    2) that our intake of omega-6 is balanced. The body only requires 2 fats, omega-6 and omega-3. In order to maintain proper functioning you cant go above of 4:1 (o6:o3) ratio, and preferably we should be around 3:1.

I am always available by email (here or marcsmith108@gmail.com) to help with dietary issues for our Sangha members (or anyone really).
  • Thanks @ajnast4r I am bookmarking :)

I am in the process of changing my diet, but once I establish it as a baseline I may take you up on your offer of the diet tracker and counseling. I think I'll take my laptop to my psychiatry appointment this week. To request the blood tests.

Question: I am eating vegetables and rice for lunch each day. I am eating brown rice, is that still a negative thing? Or is the brown rice better for you than the white?
  • brown rice is much better for you, both in nutrient density and impact on blood sugar. white rice starts as brown rice but is refined. here is a good explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_rice#White_rice_comparison

OMGoodness thanks guys if anyone wants to talk I'm here I just got back from the family doctor after posting this and everytime I go there I get rocked and it's really getting to my family so at some point you have to take a stand and take the fork in the road.

I'm going to go over your posts I guess now.

Jeffrey... zyprexa made me feel pretty OK it's not all doom and gloom. IF you ever want to talk I'm here. I'm now taking:

5MG of abilify
    vitamin C
    niacin
    NAC (for bronchitis used to treat many things)

edited January 2012
    It pays to research well before taking medication, that's for sure. However, some medical conditions do need medication (in the form of actual meds) and then side effects happen. All medications have side effects, and not all medications are opt-outable.

Shanyin - I'm sorry that you had to go through such horrible side effects. How are you feeling now?
    Now I feel a little restlsess but there is a "me" in there that is convined nothing is wrong with me.

My family doctor told me the benefits obviously "outweigh" the side effects... that I have a serious mentall illness called "psychosis" and that it's something I will have to manage for the rest of my life.

I don't agree with any of it. I find problems with each of those statements. I friggin once every year.

There was nothing wrong with me when I got into this whole mess I was taken away from all stressful parts of life and agressively drugged iwth no diagnosis underage... only to come back to go back on the medications because I felt something with wrong with me because I had my first breakup.

Thanks for listening its good to sort out my thoughts.
    Maybe not that there's nothing more or less wrong with my body/mind but that theres no real 'problem' other than people trying to help me type thing.

Jeffrey this talk makes me feel a bit better sometimes

and this

• @Shanyin, there is nothing wrong with your heart/mind, but you might have some hurtful symptoms. I get really scared when I hear voices. Have you ever been hospitalized?? Yeah if you want to talk about this stuff I am open PMs any time. I won't judge you or what you are doing.
    Yes I was hospitalized twice. thanks for being there and im here for you to to talk