Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Lighten up !

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
edited February 2012 in Buddhism Today
So this chill guy named Brian that I know says I should laugh.
About what?
Why?
Whats that have to do with being Buddhist?
He never tells me.
He must be too serious to give me any teachings about this important matter.

He likes to say things that sound like tick, though. That made me laugh.
He drinks bourban......( I bet he watches Cowboy movies)

Oh well....I'll see what this 'Vastmind' can dig up out of
the Buddha Bag.

Why Laughing is a serious teaching :)

H.W.L. Poonja was a jovial man who loved to laugh,
even while explaining that enlightenment means awakening to the
realization that your true nature is indistinguishable from the
indefinable source of the universe......emptiness.

"Poonjaji, why is your emptiness so much more fun
than mine?"

The Guru replied,

"My emptiness rejects nothing.
It includes,
stillness and activity,
and sorrow and joy,
laughter and tears."

And then he burst out laughing.

Sometimes just changing your face and your body language
can create more space in your mind.
Laughter is a real aid to bring about that spaciousness.

---Short story by James Baraz, meditation teacher, ODE mag. 2009

PRACTICE

*smile and laugh
*cultivate wholesome, happy emotions
*celebrate
*learn joy

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Love it! Thanks!
  • Me too ... lightening up is always good for someone like me who tends to get VERY serious, especially about IMPORTANT things - lol.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Yes, lighten up, loosen that tie, look at the things you have positive in your life and stop complaining. When I am on twitter I would say about 80% of the comments on there are negative, normally about what people do not like or do not want to do, what people hate etc. The Dalai Lama is often seen laughing, that funny guy :p
  • Laughter is good medicine. I just took some fast hits from Google, but I think there must be a lot more on the topic.
    Being worried and depressed is bad for our health; I didn’t look it up, but I’m sure there’s a lot to find about that too.
    It has been scientifically proven that laughter lowers blood pressure, relaxes muscles, improves blood circulation, increases oxygen level in the body, elevates mood, brings hope, enhances communication and most importantly boosts the immune system, which is the master key for maintaining good health. In December 2006, Laughter Yoga International conducted a scientific study on 200 IT professionals in Bangalore, India, to study the effects of Laughter Yoga on their stress levels. It was found that there was a significant drop in the cortisol (stress hormones) levels, thereby bringing down stress.
    http://laughteryoga.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1899:scientific-research-on-laughter-yoga&catid=316:dr-kataria&Itemid=601

The patients in the laughter group (Group L) had lower epinephrine and norepinephrine levels by the second month, suggesting lower stress levels. They had increased HDL (good) cholesterol. The laughter group also had lower levels of TNF-α, IFN-γ, IL-6 and hs-CRP levels, indicating lower levels of inflammation.
    At the end of one year, the research team saw significant improvement in Group L: HDL cholesterol had risen by 26 percent in Group L (laughter), and only 3 percent in the Group C (control). Harmful C-reactive proteins decreased 66 % in the laughter group vs. 26 percent for the control group.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090417084115.htm
  • The laughter is more for others' benefit than yours...
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Laughter is like sneezing -- a time when anyone becomes naked ... which is what any of us was in the first place.
  • When I start to feel bad or sad or depressed, I listen to Pandora radio Comedy. In a little over 20 minutes I start to feel better. It's sometimes about transforming the sorrow or negativity into something jovial.

Thank you , that was very good vastminds.

I laugh all the time...especially at my own stupidity.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited February 2012
    May spontanious clogging break out. :)
    Me too ... lightening up is always good for someone like me who tends to get VERY serious, especially about IMPORTANT things - lol.
    Sounds like my transition from Type A to Type B personality. Everyday. haha
    Work is extremly serious, so I have to practice on the way home.
    Practice changing my intentions.
    Laughter is like sneezing -- a time when anyone becomes naked ... which is what any of us was in the first place.
    I love laughing. Sneezing is necessary.
    In the first place? (you know I love my Buddha nature) :)

But... In reference to the OP....
    I have seen you post much funnier material.

Love it! Thanks!
    Your regularity speaks to your humor...I just havent figured
    it out yet. :D
    The laughter is more for others' benefit than yours...
    May you make me laugh for the benefit of myself and you.

zenff said : Being worried and depressed is bad for our health; I didn’t look it up, but I’m sure there’s a lot to find about that too.

I agree. It's bad for you and there's alot out there about it to find out.

Quick...tell me a joke, to lower my blood pressure !

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @vastminds -- One of my favorite (clean) jokes may be old, but still....

When someone asks you a dumb question wouldn't you like to respond like this?.....

Yesterday I was buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for Athena the wonder dog at Wal-Mart and was about to check out. A woman behind me asked if I had a dog. What did she think I had, an elephant? So since I'm retired, with little to do, on impulse, I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, and that I was starting the Purina Diet again.

Although I probably shouldn't, because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry and that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified , she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no; I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's ass and a car hit us both.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack, he was laughing so hard!

WAL-MART won't let me shop there anymore.
  • lol....I'm in a teahouse and just spit out my tea all over the glass table. Everyone is starring.

Okay I do feel naked...maybe peed alittle from laughing.

lol
    @genkaku lololol
    Thanks for the triage.
  • I have read that one and loved it! So dang funny. I wish I had thought all that out but I am usually only able to do short zingers instead of such a nice long funny story,
  • Ive read this saying a day without laughing is a day misspent.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    and the average times kids laugh during the day, vastly outnumbers those of adults.... That's a bad thing, because they're probably laughing at us - and let's face it, who can blame 'em...?

Where did I read this?
    I forget....but I promise it's genuine....

a study group gave a number of people a new pen, and asked half of them to put them in their mouths, side-in, so that their mouths widened, to hold the pen across their mouths...
    the other half had to put the end in, and they had to keep the pen in their mouths by biting on the end, and pursing their lips....

They then gave both groups the same 'something funny' to read, and those with their mouths widened, laughed on average three times as much as those whose mouths were pursed....
    It would appear that even the position of the mouth is conducive and influential to how happy or mirthful a person is...
    'fake it until you make it'....

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
    Merry, merry king of the bush is he,
    Laugh, kookaburra laugh!
    kookaburra gay your life shall be!
    Fede.. Q. Why did the kookaburra fly away?
    A. Because all of his friends were laughing at him.

Q. Why did the kookaburra laugh?
    A. Cause it saw a wombat trying to be a koala.
  • and the average times kids laugh during the day, vastly outnumbers those of adults.... That's a bad thing, because they're probably laughing at us - and let's face it, who can blame 'em...?

Where did I read this?
    I forget....but I promise it's genuine....

a study group gave a number of people a new pen, and asked half of them to put them in their mouths, side-in, so that their mouths widened, to hold the pen across their mouths...
    the other half had to put the end in, and they had to keep the pen in their mouths by biting on the end, and pursing their lips....

They then gave both groups the same 'something funny' to read, and those with their mouths widened, laughed on average three times as much as those whose mouths were pursed....
    It would appear that even the position of the mouth is conducive and influential to how happy or mirthful a person is...
    'fake it until you make it'....

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree,
    Merry, merry king of the bush is he,
    Laugh, kookaburra laugh!
    kookaburra gay your life shall be!
    Or the kids are laughing because they have broken wind, or at least smiling. I was meant to be famous for doing that as a baby/toddler.