Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hatred for Christianity Increases

Omar067Omar067 Veteran
edited February 2012 in General Banter
Well my hatred for Christianity continues to increase. I guess you could see that from the title of this discussion. I live in America, a nation ruled by Christians. That is a true fact. I was once a Christian ,but I left it once I found out what it really does for people. Well, the reason for the hatred increase that I'm having is that Christians advertise Christianity extremely. This too is a proven fact. They can't mind their own business. My way to respect another persons religion is to not talk about it around people you don't trust, but Christians obviously don't do this. I believe Christians have a goal. That goal is to Convert. If this isn't true then why is, "In God we trust" is on a dollar. Why do we say "God bless America." Why is there some laws that do not tolerate other religious beliefs. Why do Christians always try to convert people. The goal is to make Christianity superior to every thing. Maybe I'm just imagining these things. I'm trying to become a buddhist, but if I harbor these kind of feelings, I don't think I can be a true one. Maybe I just wrote this stuff because I'm giving up to my lowest instincts. It is hard trying become a buddhist surrounded by Christians. Well I just want to get you great buddhist people opinions on this. I hope this does not violate any policies on this site.

Comments

• Unless you've met and evaluated every single practicing Christian out there, such things are not "facts." Some Christians get in people's faces, but not all. Some parts of the us are Christian-heavy, but not all. Until you stop tarring everyone with the same brush, you'll get nowhere.
  • No part of me is Christian.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    edited February 2012
    Christianity is in a crisis in America and Europe, dropping 10% in the last two-decades. The younger generation isn't as Christian as the older, as well, which means in the next 30 years, as the older generation dies out, we'll see a major flip.

If anything, though, Christianity will be seen more as a myth, and then through this view it may be used in a more beneficial way, leading people into a life of more loving kindness. I was raised Christian, but now see Jesus as a myth and legend, as I do the Buddha, but I'm able to use their teachings to benefit my spiritual life, lifting me into a higher realization of my Pure Nature.
  • Okay.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    Omar,

There are hateful people who call themselves Christians, and hateful people who call themselves Buddhists. Are either of these people truly followers of Jesus Christ and the Buddha? No.

Look at all people with the same Loving-Kindness and point them into the same Loving-Kindness. Use Christianity and Buddhism where they can lift you from ignorance and hate, into love. If you feel these people are deceived and deluded, then love them as if they were yourself sick with some disease and suffering.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well my hatred for Christianity continues to increase. I guess you could see that from the title of this discussion. I live in America, a nation ruled by Christians. That is a true fact. I was once a Christian ,but I left it once I found out what it really does for people. Well, the reason for the hatred increase that I'm having is that Christians advertise Christianity extremely. This too is a proven fact. They can't mind their own business. My way to respect another persons religion is to not talk about it around people you don't trust, but Christians obviously don't do this. I believe Christians have a goal. That goal is to Convert. If this isn't true then why is, "In God we trust" is on a dollar. Why do we say "God bless America." Why is there some laws that do not tolerate other religious beliefs. Why do Christians always try to convert people. The goal is to make Christianity superior to every thing. Maybe I'm just imagining these things. I'm trying to become a buddhist, but if I harbor these kind of feelings, I don't think I can be a true one. Maybe I just wrote this stuff because I'm giving up to my lowest instincts. It is hard trying become a buddhist surrounded by Christians. Well I just want to get you great buddhist people opinions on this. I hope this does not violate any policies on this site.
    From my perspective, you're blowing things way out of proportion.

First, hatred is -- in my view -- a very non-Buddhist attitude.

I happen to live in a very Christian community -- Colorado Springs. It has a number of very high profile "right" churches. Yet, in the 18 months I have lived here, other than a couple of notes on my door when I first bought my townhouse, not a single person has inquired about my religious beliefs. The last time I was in Salt Lake City, as a tourist, and was wandering around the Mormon sector, not a single Mormon asked about my beliefs or tried to preach to me. I was simply welcomed and asked if I needed directions.

Yes, it is a Christian practice to attempt to convert people, and I disapprove of it. But, I don't see what that has to do with "God Bless America" or "In God We Trust". When I lived in Thailand for 2 years, everything with focused on Buddhism, yet no one attempted to convert me.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Christianity is in a crisis in America and Europe, dropping 10% in the last two-decades. The younger generation isn't as Christian as the older, as well, which means in the next 30 years, as the older generation dies out, we'll see a major flip.

If anything, though, Christianity will be seen more as a myth, and then through this view it may be used in a more beneficial way, leading people into a life of more loving kindness. I was raised Christian, but now see Jesus as a myth and legend, as I do the Buddha, but I'm able to use their teachings to benefit my spiritual life, lifting me into a higher realization of my Pure Nature.
    I have no problem with your view, but both Jesus and Buddha have been proven as historical people. Some stories about them may be legends, but they did exist.

• I agree with you on the hateful buddhist part ,but Christianity is filled with ignorance and hatred. This is a fact. I can prove it.
  • Christianity is filled with ignorance and hatred. This is a fact. I can prove it.
    You're only looking at half of the half-full, half-empty cup. Look at the other half.

• From my perspective, you're blowing things way out of proportion.

First, hatred is -- in my view -- a very non-Buddhist attitude.

I happen to live in a very Christian community -- Colorado Springs. It has a number of very high profile "right" churches. Yet, in the 18 months I have lived here, other than a couple of notes on my door when I first bought my townhouse, not a single person has inquired about my religious beliefs. The last time I was in Salt Lake City, as a tourist, and was wandering around the Mormon sector, not a single Mormon asked about my beliefs or tried to preach to me. I was simply welcomed and asked if I needed directions.

Yes, it is a Christian practice to attempt to convert people, and I disapprove of it. But, I don't see what that has to do with "God Bless America" or "In God We Trust". When I lived in Thailand for 2 years, everything with focused on Buddhism, yet no one attempted to convert me.
    Why do you think China has laws that control Christianity in china.
  • compassionate_warrior: I agree that Christianity has some positives.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    edited February 2012

I have no problem with your view, but both Jesus and Buddha have been proven as historical people. Some stories about them may be legends, but they did exist.

Actually, as a history student, neither of these Legends pass the historical method, in my opinon and in the opinion of many others. The historical method has three major criteria, in which you can get about twelve criteria, and from that they develop a probablity. Neither Jesus or the Buddha really pass the historical method with good probability.

Now, one can choose to "believe" they existed, but that's based more on faith that reasonable evidence in light of the historical method. I could go on and on about this, but I don't want to drag this off topic. To each his own belief in relation to the probablities of the historical method.

• @Amida What are the twelve criteria?
  • So it can't be proven that the buddha exists?
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    @compassionate_warrior

Here's a good outline of the historical method used on the New Testament. This same method can be applied to Buddha and the Sutras, etc..

http://hermeneutics.kulikovskyonline.net/hermeneutics/critmeth.htm

@Omar067

Depends on what you take as "proof." Some lean towards Jesus and Buddha existing in true history, others believe they were introduced as Legends and Myths, as archetypes of the embodiment of collective wisdom.

• I've read it.
  • Well thanks for all of you guys comments. I don't think I'll ever be able to become a buddhist because of Christianity. The ignorance of Christianity has already influenced me to much.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    Why take on any label? Just adopt into your practice that which works from all spiritualities.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited February 2012
    From where i come from, Buddhism is in a crisis. There are fewer Buddhists compared to years ago but the number of Christians has been on the rise. Strange.

• What do you mean?
  • See what I mean, Christianity will continue to grow and it will make buddhism perish. This what I fear. That is one of the reasons why I made this discussion.
  • My heart hurts for you Omar. Harboring such hatred poisons the soul and corrupts the mind. But you can only rid yourself of it if you want to. Buddhism does not say you can't have these feelings. The idea is to accept them, not fight them, and meditate on the source of the feelings. Amida was correct when saying you should meet them with love and compassion. This is the only way to combat feelings of hate.
  • Why is there some laws that do not tolerate other religious beliefs. Why do Christians always try to convert people.
    1. What laws? Could you give examples? 2. Most don't. Because many don't air their beliefs, you're not aware of them. Those who do, tend to congregate in certain regions of the country. Where do you live? It's sad to hear you've had a bitter experience.

The cup. Part empty, part full. Take your pick.

• Really. It is impossible for me to meet people like them with love and compassion. Christianity is a dogmatic religion. The Christians will never really respect your religion. That is the problem with dogmatic religion. I'm only trying to protect buddhism from being conquered.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    edited February 2012
    @Omar067

Buddha's teachings cannot be conquered. People will always return to the teachings that lead them into peace.

And remember, Jesus didn't teach dogma, he taught spirituality, and some have misunderstood him. He taught there is an inner kingdom of heaven, within you, and you can enter into this by abiding in union with the Way of the Pure Nature, and that's by becoming as a child, loving your enemies, serving, etc...

Just realize those lost in dogma are in delusion and ignorance, and by love show them the way into knowledge, so they can be free of dogma and enter into Spirit. Don't let the ignorance of another infect you with the disease of hate, or you will perish also, in ignorance.
  • compassionate_warrior, there are some religious acts that are deemed to be not good by the United States.
  • edited February 2012
    Buddhism was conquered in India by Islam once, crushed. It survived outside India, and now it is thriving again on its home soil, and in the West as well. Thank you for your concern. Have you considered moving to a more liberal community, if relocating is an option for you?

edit: "There are some religious acts that are deemed ... not good by the US." I'll take your word for it. _/\_
  • Jesus was said to be God, not a mere man. To me it sounds like Jesus was very arrogant. He taught that he was the only way to peace. Doesn't that sound like dogma.
  • The United States will always be my home. Relocating is an option.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    edited February 2012
    @Omar067

Buddha was also called the Way. Buddha also taught to avoid all other doctrines. One could take that as arrogant too.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father but by Me." What did he mean? He meant that there is a Way of Union with the Pure Nature, which he called Father, and He is the living embodiment of that Way. Buddha was also that same Way lived out in every breath. There's no way to union with the Father or Nirvana, apart from living the way Jesus and Buddha did.

Jesus didn't say, "Buddha is NOT the way!" He only showed his Way of Life, which he was in action, is the only Way into the Pure Union of the True Nature. Buddha and Jesus were, in essence, the same being. The were men who found their true nature by losing their egoic lives, and selflessly showed the way into that union. You too will become that "only way" when you become it in every breath.
  • According to some of the apocryphal gospels, Jesus said the "West" (meaning Palestine, possibly Greece) had distorted his teachings. He went East to teach the correct meaning of his words. The Church that evolved from his teachings created the dogma.

You might find this book of interest: "Saving the Savior", by Abubakr Ben Ishmael Salahuddin.
  • Jesus said he was the only way. If you didn't go his way you were on path to hell. The buddha said he was a normal man who gained enlightment. He told people to believe in what they could prove, not what some tells you. If you didn't agree with the buddha, you simply didn't agree. That's all. Which one sounds dogmatic.
  • Jesus said he was the only way.
    This is what the Church said he said. There were several Church Councils that edited Jesus' words, and eliminated books of the Bible that conflicted with a process of narrowing the Church doctrine, until there were only 4 Gospels left, or considered acceptable, among many. There are others on this forum who are more knowledgeable about this than I, but a study of the history of the Church might be eye-opening for you.

• AmidaAmida Explorer
    edited February 2012
    @Omar067

Buddha taught hell too, in the Dhammapada and Udanavarga, etc., etc... If you reject the "Way" which the Buddha taught and was, then you ran the risk of Hell. Remember, the Buddha was called "The Way."

And what did Jesus mean by Hell? Jesus taught the Kingdom is Within and eternal life was "Now." He said, "Those that commit to Me (the living embodiment of the Way) have eternal life." Notice they have it Now. Hell was the state of being outside of the Way, where you fall into suffering after suffering, in the eternity of Now.

Again, Jesus is grossly misunderstood. The Gospel of Thomas and other works can shed light on what Jesus was really teaching. Jesus said his words were Spirit, but people made them literal, making heaven and hell something outside of us, when Jesus made it clear, "The Kingdom of Heaven with WITHIN YOU."
  • Jesus was dogmatic and his teachings were violent, filled with things that you would have to blind to believe. Buddha did not teach that if you didn't go his way, you go to hell. The buddha himself said he was not the only way, but Jesus did. The Buddha said he was a normal man and taught the middle way. Jesus taught fear. Simple.
  • edited February 2012
    Don't believe what you read in the Bible. Don't believe what the Church tells you Jesus said. Investigate for yourself. If Jesus' teachings were indeed violent, he wouldn't be considered a great teacher in the Quran.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    @Omar067

It appears *you* are dogmatic. You are insisting your interpretation of Jesus is correct. I just showed you several ways of interepreting Jesus where he was not all about fear, but simple law; what goes up must come down. He said, "I came to establish law." The law of nature. You stick your hand in the fire it hurts, if you abide in virtue, you find peace.

Also, you may not be interpreting Jesus rightly if you think he was violent. For example, he said, "Bring them before me who would not have me rule over them and slay them before me." What he meant was, "The attributes I show are the true king within the inner kingdom of heaven. These attributes are inherent in the Pure Nature and are as the King of Heaven. The ego refuses to submit into Union with this nature; therefore, in the end, when the light of enlightment shines, the ego, which refuses to submit, will be cut to pieces before reality." But after the ego is cut to pieces the pure nature (Buddha nature) remains.

If you choose to interpret Jesus as the modern Christian Church does that's your choice, but you may be misunderstanding the Spiritual teachings of an enlightened being.

• Christianity is a religion that I can find many violent things in. I'll never think of it as being similar to Buddhism. A dogmatic religion can never bring peace. Only war like Christianity has already done. All because they think they are the one and only way. I give up. It looks like I will just have to bottle up my hate and try looking at it's positives. Like Amida and compassionate warrior has said. If something happens having to do with Christianity, just remember I told you so. I'll think of Jesus as not an enlightened person because he was violent. Thanks anyway.
  • Have you read what the Quran has to say about Jesus? If not, consider doing so, and letting us know what you find.
  • Omar067Omar067 Veteran
    edited February 2012
    In the Quran it says Jesus's teachings are misunderstood by it's followers. Christianity and Islam have many similarities. I respect the Quran more than the bible though. At least it respects other religion figures.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Don't hate the Christians. Hate the religion of Christianity.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Sorry OP but I stopped reading your post when I read the first line. Hate is one of the 3 poisons explained over and over again by the buddha, along with greed and ignorance. Maybe you are operating in all 3. Your hatred will cause you to suffer, you cannot change the Christians, so let them be. They have their own ideologies, whatever they may do that is up to them not you.

@B5C don't hate anything... :screwy: hate only comes back to you, it is a very afflictive emotion, that is easy to see when one has a degree of calrity. And as the Dalai Lama said, all major leading religions are heading in the same direction but use different modes of transport. They provide a way to create happiness, purity and compassion in a human being, people taint religons.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Even if everything you say about Christianity is true, the only one your anger is hurting is you.

Happy indeed we live, friendly amist the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men we dwell free from hatred.
    -Dhammapada 197

The hostile multitudes are vast as space
    What chance is there that all should be subdued?
    Let but this angry mind be overthrown
    And every foe is then and there destroyed
    -Shantideva

Where would I possibly find enough leather
    With which to cover the surface of the earth?
    But (just) leather on the soles of my shoes
    Is equivalent to covering the earth with it

Likewise it is not possible for me
    To restrain the external course of things
    But should I restrain this mind of mine
    What would be the need to restrain all else?
    -Shantideva
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Have you read the intorductory page, @Omar067?
    I suggest that before you permit your entire mind to be engulfed by this prejudicial hatred, you study world religions a little further, and learn that your mind is clouded by a veil of blindness.
    I grew up 100% Roman catholic, and turned to buddhism around 20 years ago.
    i certainly harbour no hatred, animosity or resentment in either my mind or heart for the religion i grew up in.
    please, take your vitriol elsewhere. this kind of ignorance really isn't welcome here.
    Am closing this thread, as frankly, I see no good in it.
This discussion has been closed.