Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the typical Buddhist view on smoking cigarettes?

edited April 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone! I was just wondering, what is the typical Buddhist view on smoking cigarettes? I, being a Mahayana Buddhist, I am particularly looking for the Mahayana view on smoking cigarettes if there is a difference between the Mahayana view and others. I know that Buddhists tend to frown upon alcohol and illegal drug use because of the way that it alters the mind, but what about tobacco use?

Comments

• skydancerskydancer Veteran
    edited April 2010
    Hi everyone! I was just wondering, what is the typical Buddhist view on smoking cigarettes? I, being a Mahayana Buddhist, I am particularly looking for the Mahayana view on smoking cigarettes if there is a difference between the Mahayana view and others. I know that Buddhists tend to frown upon alcohol and illegal drug use because of the way that it alters the mind, but what about tobacco use?
    My teacher, Chagdud Tulku's view is that smoking is harmful to self and others. He also says that there are beings we cannot see who are harmed by the smoke. His advice was not to smoke. There has never been any smoking allowed on the retreat land or monastery.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited April 2010
    As a Buddhist, we try to remain open to our cravings, while not acting on them. Paraphrasing Pema Chodron, when faced with a craving (to be busy, to smoke, to turn on the radio, etc) .... don't give in, don't speed on by -- just stay with the feeling.

Smoking is one "giving-in" after another. I know. I smoked for 25 years before I quit.

And, for me, smoking was also an activity that could both disarm and distract me from an underlying inner tension that was separate from my addiction to smoking itself. I didn't even know it was there until I had gotten over quitting.

My teacher, a Tibetan monk, said that we should not smoke, but never says why. Other people have said things like "holes in your aura" and what have you, but I don't see auras so I can't confirm or deny that. At any rate, I don't think you will find anyone, Buddhist or otherwise, who will say that smoking is good for you.
  • edited April 2010
    just like many things there's nothing inherently wrong about smoking tobacco. however, cigarette addiction is one of the major problems facing modern society, but basically is only the symptom of a larger addiction, which in buddhist terms is samsara. from a mahayana and non-mahayana perspective, smoking cigarettes may often not be a good idea. it is best to encourage people who are in some way or another addicted to cigarettes to quit, whether through some sort of example or kind-hearted persuasion.
  • edited April 2010
    sky dancer wrote: »
    My teacher, Chagdud Tulku's view is that smoking is harmful to self and others. He also says that there are beings we cannot see who are harmed by the smoke. His advice was not to smoke. There has never been any smoking allowed on the retreat land or monastery.

Hmmm, okay. I think your teacher has wise advice. :)
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    As a Buddhist, we try to remain open to our cravings, while not acting on them. Paraphrasing Pema Chodron, when faced with a craving (to be busy, to smoke, to turn on the radio, etc) .... don't give in, don't speed on by -- just stay with the feeling.

Smoking is one "giving-in" after another. I know. I smoked for 25 years before I quit.

And, for me, smoking was also an activity that could both disarm and distract me from an underlying inner tension that was separate from my addiction to smoking itself. I didn't even know it was there until I had gotten over quitting.

My teacher, a Tibetan monk, said that we should not smoke, but never says why. Other people have said things like "holes in your aura" and what have you, but I don't see auras so I can't confirm or deny that. At any rate, I don't think you will find anyone, Buddhist or otherwise, who will say that smoking is good for you.

Ah yes. I never thought of it that way. It was still early in my day when I posted this and I wasn't thinking very clearly. :o
    just like many things there's nothing inherently wrong about smoking tobacco. however, cigarette addiction is one of the major problems facing modern society, but basically is only the symptom of a larger addiction, which in buddhist terms is samsara. from a mahayana and non-mahayana perspective, smoking cigarettes may often not be a good idea. it is best to encourage people who are in some way or another addicted to cigarettes to quit, whether through some sort of example or kind-hearted persuasion.

Ah yeah. I can see why smoking would be something we should avoid. I am a current smoker but I will begin trying to quit smoking soon. I quit once for like 4 months so I know I can do it again and be successful at it. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2010
    By the way.....

Welcome!! :lol:
  • edited April 2010
    federica wrote: »
    By the way.....

Welcome!! :lol:

:lol: Thanks! :D
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited April 2010
    just like many things there's nothing inherently wrong about smoking tobacco.

...unless you happen not to like your body very much. Then it's pretty bad regardless.

Mtns
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2010
    My teacher in advising me on drinking said to not be divided. Do one or the other but the worse thing is the mental knocking yourself. You do it you knock yourself. You don't do it you knock yourself. Just do one or the other and don't close down and just recognize those knocking voices as just thinking. In the long run that will help you recognize the "i need a cig" voice as just thinking.

In parallel my therapist has said that sometimes not drinking involves drinking. Its an easing up of listening to those voices and not having to believe them. So some times that means not believing that voice that says "I am a bad buddhist if I have a cig", that is the time when not smoking involves smoking or you could say a compassionate smoke.

Edit: in other words align with love and wisdom takes precedents over align with 5th precept
  • edited April 2010
    In a nutshell, the addiction is a burden, and they're harmful. Hard to grasp until it's too late.

It robs your body of a few cells each time, but you go 'ah, just 1 more, it's only going to cost me a little bit of health'. well, 30 years later, is it going to be just one more then?

edit: I've only got one or two good memories of smoking, yesterdays memory and two others from 15 years ago, and that makes up about what 2 minutes of experience. Compared to thousands of cigs.... the tradeoff is ridiculous.
  • edited April 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    ...unless you happen not to like your body very much. Then it's pretty bad regardless.

Mtns
    well, i just meant that to smoke tobacco merely on occasion doesnt really affect you very significantly just as eating pizza isn't that bad once and awhile
  • edited April 2010
    If you don't necessarily need cigarettes and it's harmful, then there's no excuse to do it. It is a form of attachment, and attachments cause dukkha. For example, you may get a nice rise when enjoying the cigarette, but what about when you crave it? Or try to quit but can't, leaving a storm of negative emotions caused by your body's demand for it? Or have severe health effects from it? It also drains essential minerals from the body with it's 400+ chemicals in it.

When I started smoking, it was once every few weeks and provided this 'happiness' that worked quite nicely with the music I was listening to. Now little did I know it was not essential for happiness at all. I have begun discovering inner happiness through practicing Buddhism which relieves any stress / anxiety much more powerfully than such a temporary illusion of easing the stress through a cigarette.
  • There is an excellent teaching by HH Dujom Rinpoche that stated the different termas or hidden teachings by Padmasambava on tobacco. Breifly qouted.. The origin of tobacco is the plant grown from the dead corspe of a chinese demoness who prophisized before her death that this plant would be enjoyable like sex and it will poision the whole earth.
    Further stating that if yoy meditate and take this substance in tobacco say bye bye to birth in heaven or real spiritaul attainment. If you are completely advanced like the Fully Enlightened Karmapa who once inhaled and blew the smoke out of his ring finger or are authorized by a authentic Lama to overpower the tobacco then it might have a small chance of not destroying yours and others future. Some advanced people can smoke but not inhale to avert those that do. Some are advanced enough to,play with it. If you are not and try Bye Bye. Trust me. It causes irregular seasons and demonic venom to enter your body speach and mind.
  • Feel the cigarette on the mouth. Feel the sensations. Breathe in the smoke. Feel and taste the smoke go from the mouth into the lungs. Feel the expansion of the lungs. Breathe out and feel the smoke come out of the mouth and exit the lungs. Feel the cigarette on the mouth or on the hands.

Be mindful.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2012
    Feel the burning in the esophagus as the hot smoke goes down. Visualize the esophagus after 1000 inhalations. 10,000. Visualize yourself with emphysema 20 years from now, carrying a little oxygen tank around with you, with the tubes feeding into your nose. Hear yourself wheeze. Notice everyone staring at you and your oxygen tank, as you wheeze your way to the grocery store.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Any kind of addiction is seen as unskillful, regardless of what it is.
  • Feel the cigarette on the mouth. Feel the sensations. Breathe in the smoke. Feel and taste the smoke go from the mouth into the lungs. Feel the expansion of the lungs. Breathe out and feel the smoke come out of the mouth and exit the lungs. Feel the cigarette on the mouth or on the hands.

Be mindful.
    Never allow a cigarette any where near your mouth. Avoid breathing cigarette smoke whenever possible. Pay attention to the warnings on the packaging if you see it. Be mindful.
  • i'll give you a not so typical response to your question.

cigarettes cannot be the cause for cancer or harm.
    if cigarettes were the cause then it would have to cause cancer or harm 100% of the time.
    because there are people who smoke all their lives and have no negativity signs, we can conclude that cigarettes cannot be the direct cause of cancer or negative health problems.

but there are many people who get cancer and negative health problems because they smoke. sure, but we never factored in karma =].

the karmic cause of good health is focusing on the health and well being of others.

those who harmed others will find that through the vehicle of smoking the causes/conditions will manifest cancer or disease.

sounds farfetched right?

but really think about it. causation is not linear and simple. people who don't smoke get lung cancer. people who do smoke get lung cancer. people who do smoke do not get lung cancer. people also don't get lung cancer.

the cigarettes become the karmic vehicle for certain manifestations.

i still wouldn't smoke, but thats because my lungs cannot take it. but i have met many old people who do smoke and they are in perfect health. but the opposite is more true than ever.

something to ponder. lama marut gave this outline of karma. i probably butchered it but it really stuck with me.

just thoughts.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    i'll give you a not so typical response to your question.

if cigarettes were the cause then it would have to cause cancer or harm 100% of the time.
    because there are people who smoke all their lives and have no negativity signs, we can conclude that cigarettes cannot be the direct cause of cancer or negative health problems.

but there are many people who get cancer and negative health problems because they smoke. sure, but we never factored in karma =].

the karmic cause of good health is focusing on the health and well being of others.

those who harmed others will find that through the vehicle of smoking the causes/conditions will manifest cancer or disease.

sounds farfetched right?

but really think about it. causation is not linear and simple. people who don't smoke get lung cancer. people who do smoke get lung cancer. people who do smoke do not get lung cancer. people also don't get lung cancer.

the cigarettes become the karmic vehicle for certain manifestations.

i still wouldn't smoke, but thats because my lungs cannot take it. but i have met many old people who do smoke and they are in perfect health. but the opposite is more true than ever.

something to ponder. lama marut gave this outline of karma. i probably butchered it but it really stuck with me.

just thoughts.
    1. Yes, it does sound far-fetched.
    2. And I thought Buddhism was claimed to be more scientific. I don't see any science here.
    3. The vast majority of the people who get lung cancer, the cause can be attributed to smoking or industrial pollutants in the work place, or other such specific causes.
    4. I thought karma was more in the mind. Not according to you.

• Science deals with how. Not why.

Buddhism has nothing to do with science, those are just connections minds make.

The karmic cause of suffering is always harm done to others.

And yes it is the mind that records.
  • Today I ran into a guy I have known for thirty five years. He is a couple of years older than me maybe close to 60. He is now riding a mobility scooter because he just had a lung removed and his arteries are blocked. He didnt hurt others, only himself. He was always well loved. The life of the party.
    Later in life you will see people you know falling down to smoking. It won't be a mental exercise but a fact. Sure it's karma. Smoke cigarettes and create the cause of misery later in life.
  • Also explain how there are people who do smoke their whole lives and do not have any health problems.

I am not disregarding the fact that cigarettes can cause harm. But it isn't black and white, if you smoke you'll get sick.

As a buddhist one should factor karma.
    Today I ran into a guy I have known for thirty five years. He is a couple of years older than me maybe close to 60. He is now riding a mobility scooter because he just had a lung removed and his arteries are blocked. He didnt hurt others, only himself. He was always well loved. The life of the party.
    Later in life you will see people you know falling down to smoking. It won't be a mental exercise but a fact. Sure it's karma. Smoke cigarettes and create the cause of misery later in life.
    Many similar cases in my family, and among friends and colleagues.

Frankly, in my personal view, Taiyaki is being irresponsible here. Others may have a different view, of course.

• I have personally never met someone who smoked their whole life who didn't have some kind of health problems. I have met some who didn't die from it however.

• Frankly, in my personal view, Taiyaki is being irresponsible here. Others may have a different view, of course.

I hate to have to put it this way but I will. He will understand when he is older.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    .... of course you are forgetting about 2nd hand smoke and harm to children and innocent "by-standers".
    Bad Karma right there, IMO.
  • Maybe it is irresponsible but i did not advocate cigarette smoking.

All i said was that there are more factors involved in why smoking can be the karmic vehicle for harm and some people do not have such negative effects from smoking.

Its a gamble.

I've heard of stories of people who work out and are exemplar in their physical body and they die early of heart attacks. How does that happen?

From a buddhist standpoint there is no randomness. Everything is based on causes and conditions. Not to place judgement, but we can learn how karma operates at least on a superficial level.

Negative deeds produce negative karma.
    Positive deeds produce positive karma.

OP should decide based on all the given knowledge. Whether or not to take the risk to smoke.
  • .... of course you are forgetting about 2nd hand smoke and harm to children and innocent "by-standers".
    Thats is true. But what determines bad karma is mostly intention.

Samsara always has an element of harming others.

Just another thought.
  • I have personally never met someone who smoked their whole life who didn't have some kind of health problems. I have met some who didn't die from it however.
    Full disclosure: my post on visualizing oneself with emphysema was inspired by an aunt who got emphysema from years, decades, of smoking. She managed to live to a ripe old age, but the last few decades of her life, she was on oxygen a lot, and every ordinary cold she picked up was life-threatening. My mother smoked most of her life and had no lung or cancer problems from it. It did narrow her veins or somehow affected her circulation, so that an operation she had to have due to an unrelated issue caused gangrene. The doc said it was due to the lifetime of smoking. My dad was unaffected by his smoking. Both my mom and dad quit after they were in their 60's.

It does seem random as to who gets hit by symptoms from smoking, but I'm not ready to chalk it up to karma entirely, either.

• possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    .... of course you are forgetting about 2nd hand smoke and harm to children and innocent "by-standers".
    Thats is true. But what determines bad karma is mostly intention.

Samsara always has an element of harming others.

Just another thought.
    ..... mostly intention ..... as opposed to not caring if others get harmed? Semantics, IMO .....

Sorry to learn of your addiction. :-(
    Taiyaki, the evidence against tobacco products, whether smoked or chewed has been overwhelming for 6 decades. I know some still choose to smoke. And that's their right...and I really mean that they should have the right to smoke (under the right conditions where they don't harm others). But you simply are ignoring the science. Cancers of the lung and mouth are only the most obvious results. High blood pressure, heart disease, and other cancers in the body have also been proven to be caused by smoking.

It really has little to do with karma. But even you want to connect it with karma, it's pretty simple...you commit a bad action (smoking) and there is very likely to be a bad reaction (disease).

Within the last year I have read stories of 2 different American construction workers who accidentally got a nail gun shot into their heads and not only lived, but completely recovered. By your logic...wanna try it? After all, you said, "if cigarettes were the cause then it would have to cause cancer or harm 100% of the time".

Further, your understanding of heart disease is clearly superficial at best. Trust me, I know. The most typical type of heart attack may be from plaque in the blood stream and arteries or in the aorta. But there are a myriad of other heart conditions that can cause a heart attack -- tachycardia (which I have), congestive heart failure (which my mother had), an artery spasm, an aneurism, certain types of arrhythmias, ventricular fibrillation, ischaemic heart disease, inflammatory heart disease, a defective heart valve, damage to the heart done from childhood diseases such as rheumatic fever, and the list goes on. Frankly, you simply don't know what you're talking about when it comes to heart attacks.

• Most smokers have places they go to, to smoke. They don't always smoke around others to directly harm them. Though a lot are indifferent and will.

Sure you can posit that it harms the environment.

But then what doesn't harm the environment? Again samsara always has an element of harm.

• @vinlyn

I agree. But Op wanted a buddhist point of view. Science answers how. Buddhism answers why. I am not in disagreement with you.

But you seem to not see the potential for cigarettes to not always cause harm.

There is nothing that is black and white. A lot grey even though all evidence and everything is pointing to the fact that cigarettes are terrible.

• i'll give you a not so typical response to your question.

driving a car cannot be the cause for car accident. if driving a car was the cause then it would have to cause an accident 100% of the time. because there are people who drive all their lives and have no negativity sign, we can conclude that car driving cannot be the direct cause of car accident.

having sex cannot be the cause pregnancy. if having sex was the cause then it would have to cause pregnancy 100% of the time. because there are people who have sex all their lives and have no sign of pregnancy, we can conclude that having sex cannot be the direct cause of pregnancy.

sunlight cannot be the cause for skin cancer. if sunlight was the cause then it would have to cause skin cancer 100% of the time. because there are people who expose themselves to sunlight all their lives and have no sign of skin cancer, we can conclude that sunlight cannot be the direct cause of skin cancer.

thats not only flawed logic it borders to dangerous thinking...
    @vinlyn

I agree. But Op wanted a buddhist point of view. Science answers how. Buddhism answers why. I am not in disagreement with you.

But you seem to not see the potential for cigarettes to not always cause harm.

There is nothing that is black and white. A lot grey even though all evidence and everything is pointing to the fact that cigarettes are terrible.
    i wonder what buddhism answer is to children having cancer.
  • @ihepf

Causality = multiple variables

• @ihepf

Causality = multiple variables

yes... sorry, i cant the causality between my post and your response. could you elaborate?

• sorry was just trying to go onto more depth in regards to my post.

"i'll give you a not so typical response to your question.

because there are people who smoke all their lives and have no negativity signs, we can conclude that cigarettes cannot be the direct cause of cancer or negative health problems."

the causality pointed to has multiple variables, hence it just isn't cigarettes = cancer.

cigarettes (along with various causes/conditions) = cancer.

that is the point i wanted to get across, but failed to.

& about your second question. if you take in to account the world view of causality and possible rebirth, then one can see how various causes/conditions coming together can manifest as a child having cancer.

this strikes hard at the hard moral problems that most other religions have to deal with. why do bad people get good things? why do good people get bad things?

it is because karma has a gap and everything is being recorded. thus karma in that sense is beyond the three times, but manifests in the three times. if certain conditions are met, then the karma will ripen.

just some more thoughts.

• the causality pointed to has multiple variables, hence it just isn't cigarettes = cancer.
    yes, and that other variables beside smoking, which is definitly the main cause, are probably nutrition and randomness.

like in a ball throwing game, not every throw hits the target, but the throwing is the cause that the target gets hit.

about your second question. if you take in to account the world view of causality and possible rebirth, then one can see how various causes/conditions coming together can manifest as a child having cancer.

this strikes hard at the hard moral problems that most other religions have to deal with. why do bad people get good things? why do good people get bad things?

it is because karma has a gap and everything is being recorded. thus karma in that sense is beyond the three times, but manifests in the three times. if certain conditions are met, then the karma will ripen.
    the "karma" that causes lung cancer in a smoker is the action of smoking. for the rest where there is no known main cause its just random events where the cause is untraceable. sometimes it hits sometimes not.
  • @ihepf

"yes, and that other variables beside smoking, which is definitly the main cause, are probably nutrition and randomness.

like in a ball throwing game, not every throw hits the target, but the throwing is the cause that the target gets hit"

causality cannot be fit with randomness. randomness is a whole different world view.

"the "karma" that causes lung cancer in a smoker is the action of smoking. for the rest where there is no known main cause its just random events where the cause is untraceable. sometimes it hits sometimes not."

i think its important to know that the world view that things randomly happen cannot co exist with causality.

when does randomness apply and when does causality apply? what determines that?
    either the world is total randomness or the world is based on causes/conditions.

this is something that is black and white in buddhism (from my understanding).

if things are random at all, then there is absolutely no hope and buddhism is basically meaningless. because everything is based on causes and conditions there is meaning in practice and study.

just a thought.
  • edited February 2012

causality cannot be fit with randomness. randomness is a whole different world view.
    With randomness i meant that the causes are so many that it is impossible to get a good knowledge of them so basicly to us these events are random. If we flip a coin it could be possible to calculate which side lands up if we know all initial conditions. But because there are so many its impossible to know and so we just say its an random event.

This randomness decides if the smoke causes cancer in the lung. The cause that the smoke got in to the lung was the smoking. In this sense you could differentiate between known causality and unknown causality which equals to randomness, atleast to us.

(everything without taking into account quantum mechanics, which really introduce random events)

if things are random at all, then there is absolutely no hope and buddhism is basically meaningless. because everything is based on causes and conditions there is meaning in practice and study.
    If everything is only based on causes and conditions then there would def. no hope, because we would be just the playballs of these causes without free will. Maybe it is like that.
  • Hi everyone! I was just wondering, what is the typical Buddhist view on smoking cigarettes?

• @ihepf

ah I see where you are coming from. that makes sense.

thanks for the reply.
  • Of course from a scientific point of view a karmic force, resulting from past deeds, that mixes up in this randomness and influences this chain of causality cannot be disproven. Because science doesnt has a clue how the consiousness works or what it is or how it interacts with matter. It just seems very unlikely that the state of my mind from the past influences the molecules in the smoke to destroy my dna in a way that causes cancer and there is no evidence i know of that would suggest that. Even if it was like that we couldnt do anything about it because the cause lies in the past. This kind of thinking would just put more suffering in the present.

• Btw, now there are "e-cigarettes", which are basically little fog machines which mix a touch of flavoring and nicotine into the water vapor it emits. Supposedly there are no carcinogens. Certainly there are vastly fewer carcinogens. I've seen some doctors speak highly of these things as alternatives to normal cigarettes.

Of course, nicotine is still addictive, but the (physically) harmful effects to self and others are vastly reduced or eliminated.
  • Of course, nicotine is still addictive, but the (physically) harmful effects to self and others are vastly reduced or eliminated.
    thought that too, then i read this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/16/electronic-cigarette-explode_n_1281707.html
    :wtf:
  • Hopefully that will remain an isolated event. It's unfortunate that story has been played up by the media, and not the millions of lives e-cigarettes will save.

It's also unfortunate the brand of e-cig wasn't revealed in the story, as that means the entire industry, including reputable producers bear the burden.

We should also keep in mind that tobacco companies are hard at work trying to restrict e-cigarette sales.

For those interested, the "510" model is industry standard and I recommend it.

You can also get more info on e-cigs at:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

• A Buddhist view? I smoke, I enjoy it. I'm aware of the risks and still choose to do so. I also drink sometimes and have been known to do a drug or two (legal or illegal is really quite irrelevant I think). That's my view, and I'm a Buddhist, but that view may not be typical.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* ....*Cough* *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* ......*Cough* *Cough* ....*Cough* *Cough* ....*COUGH* ....*COUGH* ....*COUGH*!!
  • Hi everyone! I was just wondering, what is the typical Buddhist view on smoking cigarettes?
    I think any kind of addiction is an illustration of the second Noble Truth.

Spiny

• *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* ....*Cough* *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* ......*Cough* *Cough* ....*Cough* *Cough* ....*COUGH* ....*COUGH* ....*COUGH*!!
    I hope that isn't a smoker's cough :D
  • *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* ....*Cough* *Cough* *Cough* *Cough* ......*Cough* *Cough* ....*Cough* *Cough* ....*COUGH* ....*COUGH* ....*COUGH*!!
    Might want to see a doctor about that.