Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Kadampa- dubious?

pyramidsongpyramidsong Veteran
edited March 2012 in Faith & Religion
It sounds interesting to me, but I've heard some Buddhists frown on it. Thoughts?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    This topic has arisen many time on this forum. This website clears up some common misconceptions. http://www.newkadampatruth.org/
  • I would love to give some advice, but I have no clue to what it even is lol. Good luck with getting replies, over the weekend replies tend to lessen. Tom
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited March 2012
    My partner and I participated in a New Kadampa Sangha for about a year back in the early nineties. We moved on only because the we are cut from a Zenny kind of cloth.

..Observations...

....The teacher was clearly a very realized yogi.
    ..... Kelsang Gyatso's book are very clear and excellent.
    ..... It was no different than any other Tibetan Sangha I've encountered.. including that of Tomo Geshe Rinpoche who my sister followed.
    ..... Everybody was was ordinary in a Tibetan Buddhist context, which includes the guru disciple relationship, which freaks some people out anyway.
    .... the whole "scandal" is an arcane Tibetan mudfight.
    Invincible_summer
  • ..... Kelsang Gyatso's book are very clear and excellent.
    ..... It was no different than any other Tibetan Sangha I've encountered.. including that of Tomo Geshe Rinpoche who my sister followed.
    ..... Everybody was was ordinary in a Tibetan Buddhist context, which includes the guru disciple relationship, which freaks some people out anyway.
    .... the whole "scandal" is an arcane Tibetan mudfight.
    I concur. Especially the last bit.

Spiny ;)
  • Cool, thanks guys. I get an automatic "is this a cult" reflex over any religion or subsect that isn't familiar. A failing on my part, no doubt. :)
  • Cool, thanks guys. I get an automatic "is this a cult" reflex over any religion or subsect that isn't familiar. A failing on my part, no doubt. :)

No, it's fine to be cautious when one if not familiar with a group, in any context really. And more generally there is no need to make any commitments at an early stage. And it's fine to explore different groups and traditions, and to ask questions.

Spiny
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Cool, thanks guys. I get an automatic "is this a cult" reflex over any religion or subsect that isn't familiar. A failing on my part, no doubt. :)
    We tend to get asked that a lot hence the site. Because the dispute among the Tibetan community we got hit pretty badly being seeing as we weren't as well known as His Holiness. Having been a follower for over 15 years I haven't come across anything out of the ordinary I've only ever experienced good Dharma and had good teachers I can only tell you this from my point of view though, everyone has a different karma to experience.