Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Christianity, Bible verse, is my young "niece" too young to learn about hell?

Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
edited March 2012 in Faith & Religion
I've talked about my not so good experience at Cathechism school a couple of weeks ago.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/14594/feeling-home-sick-for-nb-while-at-a-catholic-church#Item_47

Today, I was babysitting my friend's daughter and looking over her Cathechism homework. She had to read and decipher this bible verse, and write down how she understood it, its significance and symbolism... etc:

Matthew 25:31-46
The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.
34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

She had that glossed over look in her eyes, the same one I imagine you have right now reading this huge block of words but bear with me. I wanted to help her understand it, and for it to stick without all the biblical jargon that makes even the most avid scholar, sleepy. We managed to write it in a simple fashion and this is what we got from the verses.

5 things that please God: Helping and Loving Others
1. Feeding the hungry and giving water to the thirsty. Also, those who are spiritually hungry and thirsty
2. Caring for the wayfarer, visitor or homeless by providing a roof
3. Caring for the wayfarer, visitor or homeless by providing clothing
4. Caring and visiting the sick
5. Visiting the imprisoned

She wanted to know about Hell, because that was the other part of the homework. I feel like she's too young to understand that and it pisses me off that the Catholic Church is teaching them so young. I could sense a "fear" in her that I didn't like so instead we wrote down:

5 things that make God unhappy: Being Bad to others.
1. NOT feeding the hungry and giving water to the thirsty. Also, those who are spiritually hungry and thirsty
2. NOT Caring for the wayfarer, visitor or homeless by providing a roof
3. NOT Caring for the wayfarer, visitor or homeless by providing clothing
4. NOT Caring and visiting the sick
5. NOT Visiting the imprisoned

maybe I was wrong...but i believe that the bible, having gone through so many revisions is up for interpretation. . . Trully, what do any of you think about the concept of teaching a child of 9 about hell? what exactly does that do for her but make her afraid. You do kindness, not because you are afraid of hell but because it grows out of you...

maybe i just ranted a little...

Comments

• edited March 2012
    I personally don't think the concept of Hell should be taught to anyone at all.

Nor do I think religion should be preached to children. Taught, but not preached. Taking them regularly to a temple, mosque, church, etc. is preaching. Sitting down and explaining what you believe, what other people believe, etc, without imposing any beliefs on them, is teaching.

I think (and hope) a lot of people here will agree with me when I say that a lot of what I was taught as a child about religion, like the concept of Hell, messed me up quite a bit and messes up other people too.

The thought of Satan and Hell and demons and ghosts and monsters kept me from sleeping at night. I wore a cross 24/7 because I was terrified of demons. I was upset by the thought of soldiers burning in Hell for fighting for me. I was afraid of that happening to me.

What I was brainwashed into believing as a child still lingers on in my older years. :(
  • Well ... Buddhism teaches about hell - so I'm not sure what your concern my be.

When do you teach children about jails?

I think the message in the passage from Matt 25: 31-46 says much the same thing as any Buddhist text, as any text from the Qur'an, as any religious text.

Or are you one of the gen y cohort that believes no one has the right to teach anyone anything - and if they do then the teachers can be sued for 'messing up' young minds?

Most of us need to be taught morals and ethics. Religion happens to be the vehicle by which such attributes are taught. It would be really nice if politicians, movie stars, CEOs, sportspeople would accept their role model responsibilities a little more seriously but until such happens we are left with religion.

• edited March 2012
    Well ... Buddhism teaches about hell - so I'm not sure what your concern my be.
    The figurative Hell of Buddhism is very different than the eternal, burning torment Hell of Christianity. I would never tell my child that if he is bad that when he dies he will find himself naked, alone, burning in a Hell and being tortured by demons for eons. That's sick.
    You go to jail for crimes. You typically eventually get out of jail. You go to Hell for not believing in Jesus. You burn there forever.
    I think the message in the passage from Matt 25: 31-46 says much the same thing as any Buddhist text, as any text from the Qur'an, as any religious text.
    Unless you believe in literal rebirth, the 6 realms are figurative. That isn't the way it is in mainstream Christianity.
    Or are you one of the gen y cohort that believes no one has the right to teach anyone anything - and if they do then the teachers can be sued for 'messing up' young minds?
    So religion should be preached to children? Alright! Back to the 1950's everyone. Gays, women, atheists and Muslims, time to pack it up!
    Most of us need to be taught morals and ethics. Religion happens to be the vehicle by which such attributes are taught. It would be really nice if politicians, movie stars, CEOs, sportspeople would accept their role model responsibilities a little more seriously but until such happens we are left with religion.
    Ethics, morals, etc, are all subjective. I don't agree with many of the morals and ethics that are taught by mainstream Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.
  • Then you have a lot to learn.
  • Then you have a lot to learn.
    About what part of what I posted?
  • I have found silence is a better option.
  • edited March 2012
    I have found silence is a better option.
    Ok.

:om:
  • The hell of Christianity is too horrific a concept to teach a Child, I think. I can't see any positive benefit that might come from that lesson.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    The figurative Hell of Buddhism is very different than the eternal, burning torment Hell of Christianity.
    Whether or not Buddhism's hell/s is/are figurative is a potential topic of much debate. Christianity only has one hell, Buddhism has a multiplicity of hot and cold hells, as well as one alternating hot-cold hell. I remember the Pope issuing a statement back around the 1980's in which he said hell could be interpreted figuratively in Christianity. So Buddhism and Christianity are coming closer together with respect to Hell. Except Buddhism has many more hells.

http://www.newbuddhist.com/discussion/13661/hell-realms-debate

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have found silence is a better option.
    @pineblossom, That's a bit of a childish cop-out.
    first of all you engage another member in a discussion by responding to their post - then when they reply to your various points, piecemeal, you state that 'silence is a better option'....

should you have considered that point before deciding to post?

A little unfair, don't you think...?
  • Whether or not Buddhism's hell/s is/are figurative is a potential topic of much debate.
    That is why I said: Unless you believe in literal rebirth, the 6 realms are figurative. That isn't the way it is in mainstream Christianity.

I understand there are some people who believe that the realms are real and that rebirth is much like reincarnation.
  • Hell begins with the "central" reference point called me, i and mine.

With this the other is made. The gap between me and other is hell.

So in another way when one realizes that the other or in this case the big other (god) doesn't exist apart from self because such references points only exist through memory and grasping then heaven is met.

But hell is the absence of god through false division.

• Oh Taiyaki. I can always count on you to out Zen us all. :)
  • As someone who explored a lot of Catholicism's more contemplative orders a while back, the version of hell as the absence of God's love ("kind of like a black hole") always made much more sense. Of course, this interpretation is too simple and hard to manipulate that it has been abandoned by pretty much all of Christianity for the brim stone version that is used to scare children and lead them to a perpetual guilt trip.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Lady_Alison -- I think you did a good job within the framework provided. It may make my teeth itch when a grand philosophy or religion separates the sheep from the goats, the worthy from the unworthy, or the enlightened from the ignorant, but that's my problem. And teaching such things to children ... well, I guess we all grew up with one fairy tale or another and, with luck, survived.
  • Thank you, @genkaku ... I tries my best. I am the only Muslim this family knows and I do spend a lit of time with this little girl. She is familiar with my beliefs and I showed her a little Buddhism...the fear in her eyes aboout hell, made my heart drop...so I dropped the word and talked about doing good vs. Doing bad.

@bekenze...even though mainstream Christianity believes in an eternal hell, it is strange Because it's considered a Jewish sect, much like Islam... both Judaism and Islam believe in a temporary hell, not permanent...much leaves to be interpreted. I ask you what you mean by not "following Christian morals? " aren't our laws influenced by the Bible?

I really hope you are not staying up at night fearing hell, anymore...that's not living.
  • As someone who explored a lot of Catholicism's more contemplative orders a while back, the version of hell as the absence of God's love ("kind of like a black hole") always made much more sense. Of course, this interpretation is too simple and hard to manipulate that it has been abandoned by pretty much all of Christianity for the brim stone version that is used to scare children and lead them to a perpetual guilt trip.
    Could you tell us more about the void? I have always known the illustrated hell.
  • You should do nothing to contradict what the child's parents want, since they have the right to determine her religious education. All you can do, and the best thing you can do, is be open about your own religious identity and show her you are a good person in spite of it. Let your example plant the seed that may blossom spiritually in her future.

• You are absolutely right and her mother and I have spoken quite clearly on what to say and not to say. Mom really wants her exposed to many different religions. . .
    You should do nothing to contradict what the child's parents want, since they have the right to determine her religious education. All you can do, and the best thing you can do, is be open about your own religious identity and show her you are a good person in spite of it. Let your example plant the seed that may blossom spiritually in her future.
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's all we really need and this would be a much better world if followed.
  • Short but sweet! ...I love that! Have a cup of tea.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's all we really need and this would be a much better world if followed.
    The golden rule!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    both Judaism and Islam believe in a temporary hell,
    They do? Could you explain about this a little? How is Hell temporary in Judaism and Islam?

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I agree Pineblossom. For one thing, none of us knows what's really out there. We have our beliefs, but if we're realistic, we know we don't know. So I think it's a very good thing to present the basics to children once they're about 5 years old...in gentle terms...just like we begin teaching them about not talking to strangers, and the like. It also gives them some perspective when they encounter other people, even children, who have certain religious beliefs.

The figurative Hell of Buddhism is very different than the eternal, burning torment Hell of Christianity. I would never tell my child that if he is bad that when he dies he will find himself naked, alone, burning in a Hell and being tortured by demons for eons. That's sick.
    You go to jail for crimes. You typically eventually get out of jail. You go to Hell for not believing in Jesus. You burn there forever.
    Unless you believe in literal rebirth, the 6 realms are figurative. That isn't the way it is in mainstream Christianity.
    So religion should be preached to children? Alright! Back to the 1950's everyone. Gays, women, atheists and Muslims, time to pack it up!
    Ethics, morals, etc, are all subjective. I don't agree with many of the morals and ethics that are taught by mainstream Christianity, Islam, Judaism, etc.
    Whoa!

I think you need to be reminded that millions of Buddhist in the world believe that the Buddhist hells and heavens are real. Personally, I have no idea whether Buddhist hells and heavens are real or not. I have personally never read any Buddhist scripture that says they are only states of mind.

And morals are subjective. So murder and/or rape are sometimes moral?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's all we really need and this would be a much better world if followed.
    Okay. Time to shut down the forum.

:rolleyes:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    It was Vincenzi who summed it up in a word: ahimsa.

• @dakini... Muslims believe that* Allah is compassionate and merciful* the surahs all begin this way. Muslims believe that Allah's ultimate plan for man is to raise him to a high status and make him worthy to serve Him.

Death is only a doorway into another dimension and hell is meant for purification. Punishment is not meant for torture . The idea that underlies hell is that those who wasted this lifeshall have to taste of their bad deeds. While paradise is unending, hell has a termination or expiration.

6:128, 11:106, 107...

Hell is not everlasting but a remedial method to purge out the disease of the heart and what is left after gold is tested with fire?

With all it's 'fearfulness ' hell is called maula (patron) of the sinners and umm (mother)
    57:15, 101:9

Hell in this life and the next serve to ascend mankind, through suffering...hell is suffering. 2:191 29:2 29:10

• edited March 2012
    Whoa!

I think you need to be reminded that millions of Buddhist in the world believe that the Buddhist hells and heavens are real.

And morals are subjective. So murder and/or rape are sometimes moral?
    1. Whoa there, Vinlyn, mah man. I'd think as an ex-principal you'd be quite the thorough reader. Dakini already pointed that out and I responded accordingly. Did you not see that? Me thinks one should read more carefully.

2. I don't think its moral. Other people might, though. The Bible condones both rape and murder. I don't agree with that buuut hey, it's other people's holy book. Who am I to say negative things about it?
  • edited March 2012
    Also, @Dakini and @Lady_Alison - not all Muslims believe Hell is eternal and not all Muslims believe it is finite either. I've talked to both types of Muslims, and there's both types in Shia and Sunni too. Some Muslims, like our Lady_Alison here, believe it is finite. Though, most Muslims I've talked to claim it is eternal. On the other hand, that is very anecdotal.

Jews typically believe in just a Heaven and a purgatory. I've never met any Jews that don't believe that, and I don't think any other beliefs are very common.
  • Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. That's all we really need and this would be a much better world if followed.
    It was Vincenzi who summed it up in a word: ahimsa.

Just looked it up- ahimsa works.

• @bekeze...where does the Bible condone rape or murder?

• edited March 2012
    @bekeze...where does the Bible condone rape or murder?
    If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

List here: http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you. (Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil. (Judges 5:30 NAB)

List here: http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm
  • 99 percent are Sunnis ...I'm readingand summarizing straight out of the quran which its commentary is written by maulana Muhammad Ali.

This is the most common used quran ...I don't know other Muslims who believe hell is eternal...that's insane! They should go back and really read. The same for Jews.

You must have had some bad experiences, I'm sorry.
    @bekeze...where does the Bible condone rape or murder?
    If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives. (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

A priest's daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 NAB)

List here: http://www.evilbible.com/Murder.htm

As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you. (Deuteronomy 20:10-14)

They must be dividing the spoils they took: there must be a damsel or two for each man, Spoils of dyed cloth as Sisera's spoil, an ornate shawl or two for me in the spoil. (Judges 5:30 NAB)

List here: http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm
    You are still mired in the Old Testament. Try a modern Christian church and you're unlikely to hear an Old Testament Bible scripture almost ever.

• edited March 2012
    You are still mired in the Old Testament. Try a modern Christian church and you're unlikely to hear an Old Testament Bible scripture almost ever.
    Doesn't matter. It's still in the Bible. I said: "The Bible condones both rape and murder."

Either way: All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever. At least, roughly according to these verses:

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

Jesus says: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19)

“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 5:18-19 RSV)
    Doesn't matter. It's still in the Bible. I said: "The Bible condones both rape and murder."

Either way: All of the vicious Old Testament laws will be binding forever.

"It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

"All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)

“Did not Moses give you the law, and yet none of you keepeth the law" (John7:19)
    I go to a Methodist Church about once every month or two, and in the last 2 years they have not read a single Old Testament passage.

And I'll tell you, I don't think hating other religions and putting them down is a very Buddhist attitude.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    @Lady_Alison Hell at 9...yikes! Just make sure she doesn't see any horror movies. That could scar her for life, if she gets the idea that's hell. :p
  • edited March 2012
    And I'll tell you, I don't think hating other religions and putting them down is a very Buddhist attitude.
    Hmmm. Now whom is the one putting words in whose mouth, eh? So, you don't read things, but you do read into things. Ok then. Quote me any where in this thread attacking Christianity or any other religion, except for attacking the concept of Hell which I openly admit to attacking.

All I said is that I don't agree with many Biblical ethics and moral guidelines. Not all, but many. I also said I think the idea of Hell is vile.
  • The Bible is not a human being to condone or condemn. Its a book. The message of it can be summarized best by

The ten commandments given to Moses, not the laws added afterwards that interpret each law.

The beautitudes, our father, and the golden rule by Jesus.

That's it.

Ask yourself where exactly and when Leviticus, Deuteronomy,and numbers where written?

Are they laws of men?

The old testament was written during the Jews Babylonian captivity...the Bible you quoted has seen many revisions...so, its very hard to point a finger at anyone.

Following the spirit of the book always leads to what this NB member said : be good.
  • @dakini...I made her watch "grimlins" and she squirmed!

Makes me want to go up to that carhechism teacher and go old school with her a few rounds.

And I don't mean the @vinlyn way. I mean Honky tonk rodeo.
  • edited March 2012
    The Bible is not a human being to condone or condemn. Its a book.
    If a book says you should kill people, or talks about how God thought it was okay to rape people, that is condoning, Alison.
    The message of it can be summarized best by the ten commandments given to Moses, not the laws added afterwards that interpret each law.
    And again, I don't agree with all the Ten Commandments.
    Ask yourself where exactly and when Leviticus, Deuteronomy,and numbers where written?
    Long time ago, like most of the Bible.
    Are they laws of men?
    Yes.
  • @vinlyn...bekenze is not being hateful I actually have tried to answer his questions on hell in a pm and he is very respectful so please don't take it the wrong way.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited March 2012
    @Bekenze What about that church you occasionally attend with your significant other? Do you like their approach to the Bible? I'm guessing they focus on the New Testament. Some of those progressive churches study some of the apocryphal Gospels, which is cool, too.

It would be interesting to take a class in the history of the New Testament, to learn which Gospels got tossed out when, and why.
  • edited March 2012
    @Bekenze What about that church you occasionally attend with your significant other? Do you like their approach to the Bible? I'm guessing they focus on the New Testament. Some of those progressive churches study some of the apocryphal Gospels, which is cool, too.
    I'm not attacking Christianity right now. I just mentioned that the Bible, altogether (meaning the Old Testament), condones rape, murder, etc. I never said that Christians still use that today. The church I occasionally attend very rarely actually talks about anything I dislike. Mainly the pastor takes morals from the New Testament and tries to tie them in with our daily lives now. I even liked his approach to prayer - he said it was more of a meditation that it being a wishlist to God.
  • @bekenze...(sigh) I suggest you do some research on Biblical history and archeology with classic philosophy too.

You don't have to agree with everything but it will give you an appreciation as I'm sure you do...but I enjoy it's depth and wisdom. I don't agree with everything like you, especially when it concerns homosexuality.

I don't believe God cares about that are all, since God is neither male or female.
  • *at
  • edited March 2012
    You don't have to agree with everything but it will give you an appreciation as I'm sure you do...but I enjoy it's depth and wisdom.
    I hold the Bible with the same reverence as I hold any historic piece of literature. Bible, Qu'ran, Upanishads, Epic of Gilgamesh, etc. All very interesting philosophical and historic pieces. :)

But this all goes back to my original point, really. These religions and philosophies should be introduced to children, but they shouldn't be made to believe it until they have the ability to choose themselves. (Note: this does not include morals. of course you should teach your kids morals. just not indoctrination into a specific belief system.)

B5C, where art thou?

(pst: by the way, if you made an error in typing, you can edit your message for the first 6 minutes after you posted it by clicking the gear in the top right corner of the post.) :thumbsup:

@dakini...I made her watch "grimlins" and she squirmed!

Makes me want to go up to that carhechism teacher and go old school with her a few rounds.

And I don't mean the @vinlyn way. I mean Honky tonk rodeo.
    And what exactly is the vinlyn way????

Don't you know about Hoppy, Gene, and Roy?

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Has anyone taken a look at the different translations of the Bible in English, and compared them? Sometimes they actually change the text in small details.
  • B5c...where are you? Lol, I know right.

I can't edit on my android and I'm terrible with spelling and grammar. Poor federica.

Deal with it! Lol.n