Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Most Skillful Way to Teach?

BoatSBoatS Explorer
edited March 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hello everyone,

I'm about ready to finish my education degree from college, and preparing to enter the world of teaching. As I'm preparing to enter schools, I'm trying to decide the best approach to teaching. What is the most skillful way to teach children/students? Especially with discipline. I would like to be fair and keep to "Rightful..." and be compassionate and understanding, but I'm not sure that this is always the most skillful way to impact children. When people tend to be compassionate, it seems that others realize they are "nice" and can take advantage of them - which would not be good in a classroom scenario. Although I find it difficult for me to want to act any other way than nice/understanding.

Also it seems hard to teach someone about either subjects or life without imposing your own views, which seems to bring conflict in me. For example, if someone "seeks" to learn I would easily be able to help them without any doubts - such as a a trainee and a yoga instructor. But when these students don't "ask" to learn about how to treat people, I would feel that I am being pushy in expressing what they should be doing. Is there a skillful way of doing this? Are there any teachers or parents out there that take Buddhist teachings and apply them to how you teach someone? Is compassion always the right answer?

I really love teaching and what it brings, but I am unsure of the best means to do it.

With metta.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    First off, speaking as a retired teacher and principal, you need to find out if your school and district have proscribed methods for teaching and discipline. More and more, schools and districts are adopting anything from guidelines to clear expectations of how teachers teach and develop discipline in their classrooms. Remember, you and that district signed a contract, and in return, they pay you a salary.

Beyond that, watch what other teachers do, BUT, as you watch them, you can learn as much what to do, as you can what not to do.

Develop a mental bag of tricks in regard to discipline and teaching. One size doesn't fit all, and for those students who are more challenging, you'll need to dig deeper into that bag of tricks.

You don't mention what grade level or subject you'll be teaching. But in terms of imposing your own views, let me just tell you about one of our social studies teachers. Mostly taught gifted kids...history and government. Each year I would get a handful of complaints about her. Half the complaints were that she was a liberal Democrat. Half the complains were that she was a conservative Republican. You can be that if you remember that you are teaching kids to learn and think, and the subject content is merely the way of doing that.

• BoatSBoatS Explorer

You don't mention what grade level or subject you'll be teaching.
    I plan to teach middle school students at the moment.

I'll have to wait for my teaching assignment to find out exactly what district and guidelines I will have. And I don't mean to be imposing my own views to satisfy myself, but rather certain disciplinary actions seem to impose ideals just by the action.Thank you for the insight so far.

• Hi BoatS,

Didn't you have to do a post graduate teaching qualification ? Usually that gives some grounding and experience in the classroom.

I'm a teacher myself and I think that one needs to be kind and fair with one's pupils - and also firm (but not ratty) about their behaviour in class, especially if you have large classes of teenagers to teach. Your lesson plans and resources are always important and in general you'll probably find which methods work best as you gain some experience.

Good luck -there's never a dull moment !

You don't mention what grade level or subject you'll be teaching.
    I plan to teach middle school students at the moment.

I'll have to wait for my teaching assignment to find out exactly what district and guidelines I will have. And I don't mean to be imposing my own views to satisfy myself, but rather certain disciplinary actions seem to impose ideals just by the action.Thank you for the insight so far.

Ah middle school...all my 33 years, except for 2 at the high school level.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
    a gentle nudge can be useful.
    pushing usually results in strong resistance.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    "A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down" The most popular and effective teachers I've seen are those who are firm but use humor in discipline, when appropriate. And they give interesting assignments. What subjects will you be teaching?
  • BoatSBoatS Explorer

Didn't you have to do a post graduate teaching qualification ? Usually that gives some grounding and experience in the classroom.
    Well I'm finished this semester with actual classes, and next year Fall and Spring I'll be doing by observation and teaching for a semester. It's all theory now, but I still love to hear people's opinions on their experiences.

Any specific advice for middle school students? And how did they compare/contrast to your two years in high school if you don't mind me asking.

jll and Dakini:

Thank you for the advice. I optimally like to teach Mathematics (which it may be more difficult to find interesting and engaging assignments) or perhaps English also. I'm unsure at the moment, but I hope to figure that out as I get to spend more time in schools.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Well, to do your observation and teaching, you have to be qualified in one or two subject. So you have to figure out in advance what they'll be. It's challenging to make math interesting, you're right, there.
  • BoatSBoatS Explorer
    Well, to do your observation and teaching, you have to be qualified in one or two subject. So you have to figure out in advance what they'll be. It's challenging to make math interesting, you're right, there.
    I am qualified in both English and Mathematics, so I do have some options.

Actually, I can tell you why I preferred middle school. There's somewhat of a balance in middle school that you can actually teach some content that's somewhat interesting even to an adult, while working with kids who still care what the teacher/adult thinks. By the time you get very far into high school, kids are becoming mini-adults with their own lives, and how much they actually care about what adults think begins to plummet.

I am qualified in both English and Mathematics, so I do have some options.
    In terms of getting a job, math is going to have more openings and fewer candidates. If I had a math opening, I'd sometimes be lucky to even find a qualified candidate. But in English and social studies, for every opening I'd have 8-20 qualified candidates.

But, on the other hand, to me, even though I was a science teacher, I think English would be far more interesting to teach. Such a wide variety of novels and composition themes.

One thing you could try for is to leverage your two areas. I had a teaching candidate years ago who applied for a math position (and she was qualified, and turned to be excellent), who convinced me to agree to transfer her into a history position when one opened up and when I could find another math teacher. The only issue there is that some principals might not keep their word.

And, if I may give you some advice about interviews. With only rare exceptions, a teaching interview will start with, "So, tell me a little bit about yourself." Be ready for that. Have your general answer ready to go. Think out in advance what you can tell them in that answer that will convince them that you are the one person they need to hire. And at the other end of the interview, be ready for the question, "Is there anything else you'd like to tell me?" Don't ever say, "No, I think we've covered things very well." That question, that almost always comes up at the end of the interview is your last chance to tell them why you are the one!

One other piece of advice. What gets you the interview to begin with? The resume. In a year I would get perhaps 200 resumes. As I received them, they would each get a couple of minutes of my attention, and then placed in 1 of 4 files -- "real potential", "possibility", and "doomsday"...and the trash can. So, what can you do with your resume to make it a standout and still be "you"?

• Develop a relationship with students that balances the role of a teacher and the role of a human being with an open mind and heart.

Then your behavior issues will not arise.

Know your content area like a boss then you'll be set. Set boundaries.

What really helps is to know yourself as a teacher. But that comes with time.

I've recently have been touching upon feeling comfortable in my skin as a teacher. Kids respond well to sincere and genuine actions.

But as a rule its always better to be over prepared and consistent on rules, expectations, etc from the start. Then you can edit and loosen up as needed as time goes on.

Sry about the vague answers. Hope this helps.
  • edited March 2012
    What is the most skillful way to teach children/students?
    Buddha's advice is summarised at the link: :)
    http://www.budsir.org/Part2_4.htm#18

One whose duty it is to teach and provide others with learning, especially a teacher, should possess the qualities and observe the principles of conduct outlined below:

A. He is a good friend: [a teacher] should be endowed with the seven qualities of the good friend (kalyanamitta-dhamma), as follows:

Piyo: endearing; he is endowed with kindness and compassion, taking an interest in his students and their well-being; he has rapport; he creates a familiar and casual atmosphere, encouraging students to approach him with queries and doubts.

Garu: worthy of respect; he is firm, adhering to principle; he has conduct that befits his position, inspiring feelings of reassurance, refuge and safety.

Bhavaniyo: inspiring; he is truly learned and wise, and is one who constantly trains and improves himself; he is praiseworthy and exemplary, so that his students speak and think of him appreciatively, confidently and proudly.

Vatta: capable of speaking effectively; he knows how to explain things clearly, and knows when to speak what and how; he gives counsel and caution and is an able advisor.

Vacanakkhamo: patient with words; he willingly listens to questions and queries, no matter how petty, and can bear even improprieties, admonishments and criticisms without becoming dejected or offended.

Gambhiranca katham katta: capable of expounding on the profound; he can explain difficult and profound subjects clearly and can teach his students even profounder subjects.

No catthane niyojaye: not leading in wrongful ways; he does not lead his students in ways that are detrimental or in matters that are worthless or improper.

(A.IV.31)

B. He is dedicated to giving knowledge by establishing himself in the five qualities of one who gives teachings, known as the dhammadesaka-dhamma:

Anupubbikatha: teaching step-by-step, in proper sequence; he teaches the principles or subject matter in order, from easy to abstruse, shallow to profound, in logical progression.

Pariyayadassavi: expanding on and clarifying the main points; he explains; he brings forth reasons to clarify the meaning of each aspect and point; he varies his explanations to enable his listeners to clearly see his points in the light of reason.

Anudayata: teaching with a heart of goodwill; he teaches with a mind imbued with goodwill and a sincere desire for his listeners' benefit.

Anamisantara: aiming not for material gain; he does not teach out of a desire for any material reward, payment or personal benefit.

Anupahacca: speaking impartially and unabrasively; he teaches according to the principles, according to the content, with the intention of revealing the truth and the meaning, neither exalting himself nor satirizing or belittling others.

(A.III.184)

C. He maintains the fourfold grace of a teacher: a capable teacher has the following techniques of teaching:

Sandassana: making clear; no matter what he teaches, he explains the reasons behind it and analyzes it so that his listeners understand it clearly, as if leading them by the hand to see it for themselves.

Samadapana: inviting practice; he teaches in such a way that [his listeners] see the importance of doing what needs to be done, appreciate its value, become convinced, accept it and are motivated to implement it or put it into practice.

Samuttejana: arousing courage; he rouses his listeners to zeal, interest, fortitude and firm resolve to consummate the practice, to fear no difficulty or hardship.

Sampahamsana: inspiring joy; he creates an atmosphere of fun, cheerfulness, joyousness and delight; he inspires his listeners with hope and vision of a good result and the way to success.

In brief, this can be summarized as: teaching to clarify, motivate, rouse and delight.

(As in D.I.126)

D. He uses the three gauges: briefly speaking, a teacher may examine himself with the three kinds of manner that characterized how the Buddha taught:

He teaches with true knowledge: having first himself acquired true knowledge and accomplished his goal, he teaches others.

He teaches logically, so that his listeners can clearly see the meaning with their own wisdom.

He teaches pragmatically, accomplishing the objective of the teaching by, for example, guiding his listeners to truly understand, to see the truth, to actualize the practice and to attain the results of the practice.

(A.I.276)

E. He performs the duties of a teacher to a student: he conducts himself toward his students by helping them according to the teachings compared to the "right direction," as follows:

He trains them to be good.

He guides them to thorough understanding.

He teaches the subject in full.

He encourages and praises his students' goodness and abilities and allows their full expression.

He provides a protection for all directions; that is, teaching and training them so that they can actually use their learning to make a living and know how to conduct themselves well, having a guarantee for smoothly leading a good life and attaining happiness and prosperity.

(DN 31)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    'The 3 'fs': Firm, fair, and friendly seems to work in a teaching environment.
  • BoatSBoatS Explorer
    edited March 2012
    vinlyn: Thank you a for the heads up on some of the questions and encounters I may have while applying. I'll keep into account using both of my subject areas as leverage too - I wouldn't mind teaching either, but I must agree, English would be much more involved/fun. Also:
    One other piece of advice. What gets you the interview to begin with? The resume. In a year I would get perhaps 200 resumes. As I received them, they would each get a couple of minutes of my attention, and then placed in 1 of 4 files -- "real potential", "possibility", and "doomsday"...and the trash can. So, what can you do with your resume to make it a standout and still be "you"?
    What exactly makes a resume stand out?

And also, how did you like being a principle? I am looking to pursue a masters eventually and was curious of how you enjoyed your role. What made you switch?
    Develop a relationship with students that balances the role of a teacher and the role of a human being with an open mind and heart.

Then your behavior issues will not arise.

Know your content area like a boss then you'll be set. Set boundaries.

What really helps is to know yourself as a teacher. But that comes with time.

I've recently have been touching upon feeling comfortable in my skin as a teacher. Kids respond well to sincere and genuine actions.

But as a rule its always better to be over prepared and consistent on rules, expectations, etc from the start. Then you can edit and loosen up as needed as time goes on.

Sry about the vague answers. Hope this helps.
    The answers may be vague, but I feel they fit extremely well. Have you been teaching for long?

WallyB:

That is a wonderful link, greatly appreciated! There are a lot of good things to take away, I'll keep reading it over. Good find!
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    Robert Sapolsky is the best professor i've ever seen.
    Maybe you can look at some of his lectures and courses and pick up some things.

he can explain the most sophisticated concepts to the dumbest person while making them feel respected and feel good about themselves.
    I think this is one of the great quality of a great teacher.

you can google his name and get a bunch of other videos.

What exactly makes a resume stand out?

And also, how did you like being a principle? I am looking to pursue a masters eventually and was curious of how you enjoyed your role. What made you switch?

There's no single answer for what makes a good resume. About half the principals I knew liked the 1 page resume. I preferred longer resumes that had everything I needed to know. I liked resumes that already included references so that we could get right to checking them, rather than having to take the extra step of having to contact the applicant for references. I wanted only info that really meant something for the potential job. For example, listing hobbies or interests...unless it related directly to the job being applied for, a waste of my time. Never mention religion! Another thing you might consider is a separate statement of educational philosophy. Usually about a page long it can show off your writing skills and give more depth to what you consider most important about teaching.

I switched for 2 reasons. One was that for a few years I had a principal who was truly inspiring and set an example. The other was that even though i loved my content area (earth science), I wondered at year 13 how many more years I could love teaching (for example) rocks and minerals. And, although I didn't switch to admin for this reason at the time, now that I have retired, my income is almost twice that of what some of my teachers was making after retirement.

• @BoatS

This is my first year as a middle school art teacher.
    Still a newbie, but I'm getting the hang of it.
    Remember its an evolution and everything you try is a trial run. So experiment.

And everyday is a fresh day. What didn't work yesterday can be discarded. Each day is new.

If you have any specific question please ask.