Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How Big Is Space Graphic

Comments

• HondenHonden Dallas, TX Veteran
    Great pic, I was secretly hoping for another Star Trek reference like a small space ship labeled "SS Botany Bay" way out in the middle of nowhere. XD
  • Great pic, I was secretly hoping for another Star Trek reference like a small space ship labeled "SS Botany Bay" way out in the middle of nowhere. XD
    LMAO, I am not a 'trecky' but keep searching!!
  • Wow, and that's just our system.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited March 2012
    No teapot?
  • I didn't know voyager 1 was that far out. It only took 34 years. Wow.
  • Yea it has gone pretty damn far, some billon KMs, I forget now without looking at the graphic :-/
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I didn't know voyager 1 was that far out. It only took 34 years. Wow.
    And it's still sending us some data back.

NASA still has a budget for those two.
    http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/
  • Everytime I saw the intro to star trek where picard does the voice over... the space ship enterprise looks like it's hanging on on thread and the windows look like little pieces of yellow stickers... so fake

ak... but i loved the series!
  • I think we need to find other planets....where is a Stargate, or grand orifice when you need it?

• chevron seven activated!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My goal is to keep scrolling down until I hit the edge of the observable universe. Only 21,999,999 years, 354 days, and 18 hours to go! :aol:
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    lol @person that emoticon!
    @ThailandTom I can't use the link, it is not funded by the licence fee grrrrrrrrr :rarr: as it is part of the international service. I want to be reborn as an astronaut... please karma, PLEASE.........
  • @dandelion...you will come back as a fluffy smushed face Kitty cat. Lol..
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    @dandelion...you will come back as a fluffy smushed face Kitty cat. Lol..
    And the real Dandelion I'm convinced will come back as a hungry ghost! Greedy little bugger...
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Ah I didn't know GPS satellites were so far. Now I understand why time is faster where they are.
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    Just finished scrolling. It was a nice article. Very enjoyable. Thanks for this thread, op!
  • I did find it all rather interesting myself, found out a couple of things I never knew as well. LEGONAUGHT :lol: what a legend lol. Voyager 1 though, that thing is so far away, I wonder where it will be in 10 or 20 years time, I guess technically if you were a math boffin, you could work it out from the graphic.. *calling all math boffins!*

@Dandelion it is the BBC so I am quite surprised that it does not work back in the UK.. As for your rebirth, fingers crossed for an astronaught :) That is actually something I would do wihtout any hesitation if I was given the chance. But I think I too am destined for the hungry ghost realm :-/ Owel, work on that in the here and now.

@Lady_Alison yes stargate has let us down horribly, damn you stargate :banghead:
    Here's a 20 minute Radiolab show on Voyageur leaving the solar system.

http://www.radiolab.org/2012/feb/20/edge-heavens/
    edited March 2012
    Its actually about the solar system. The first 10 minutes is about Newton and the moon, the last 10 minutes is about Voyageur leaving the solar system.

It also talks a bit about the 'Pale Blue Dot' picture.