Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I heard that too much Tofu is not good for you?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited April 2012 in Diet & Habits
I heard that too much Tofu is bad for you?
I cannot find what I read at this moment, but when I do I will post it. Thoughts? Now that I think about it, I believe it mentioned too much soybeans is not good for you?

Comments

• I think it's better to eat edamame or soy in their natural form..

How do they make tofu anyway?
    Even soy milk has additives.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I don't know about the population in general, but soy is contraindicated for people with thyroid conditions.

@Lady_Alison You can make your own soy milk. Lightly boil soy beans, grind them up in the same water, strain.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I was looking at this:

It looks really good! I cut the veggies/tofu and put it in a taper bowl. Won't take too much time in the morning to make this. Will let you know how it goes! Oh, and I am doing the whole toast thing as well! Probably peanut butter with banana on top. :)
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Too much of any food is bad in my opinion :)

The OP maybe talk about this article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

About soy and thyroid conditions exist mixed opinion right now:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperthyroidism/AN00454

Blessings.
    Too much of any food is bad in my opinion :)

The OP maybe talk about this article:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/7490202.stm

About soy and thyroid conditions exist mixed opinion right now:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hyperthyroidism/AN00454

Blessings.
    Thank you!
  • Yea I was going to say that too much of anything is bad for you, oxygen, water, life lol. Anyway IMO tofu isn;t even that tasty :crazy: Also there have been studies and articles about soy causing growth in men around the breast area. So you may want to look into getting a double A cup size if you want to have a regular intake of soy ;)
    edited April 2012
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein

Wow, that study was too much, they give to little mice 5 more genistein (found in soy) than what is possible obtain eating normally from food. :(

In the comments I found a link to an excellent article resuming all studies in soy and fertility in women:
    http://drfiona.whitelotusclinic.ca/2009/12/soy-and-fertility-part-1-phytoestrogens-and-fertility-in-women/

The conclusions that I see in all that studies is that eating too much can be a risk, like I said before, the same can be said to almost all type of food.

Blessing.

PS: This is interesting :)
    Yea I was going to say that too much of anything is bad for you, oxygen, water, life lol. Anyway IMO tofu isn;t even that tasty :crazy: Also there have been studies and articles about soy causing growth in men around the breast area. So you may want to look into getting a double A cup size if you want to have a regular intake of soy ;)
    Lol! Everyday is insane! I am thinking 1-2 times a week. And Youtube the variety of recipes one can do with Tofu. Supposedly, they are calling it a "Superfood."
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=soybean-fertility-hormone-isoflavones-genistein
    Wow, that study was too much, they give to little mice 5 more genistein (found in soy) than what is possible obtain eating normally from food. :(

In the comments I found a link to an excellent article resuming all studies in soy and fertility in woman:
    http://drfiona.whitelotusclinic.ca/2009/12/soy-and-fertility-part-1-phytoestrogens-and-fertility-in-women/

The conclusions that I see in all that studies is that eating too much can be a risk, like I said before, the same can be said to almost all type of food.

Blessing.

PS: This is interesting :)

You are right! Too much of anything is bad.
    However, what is interesting is that this is is supposedly a staple for a vegetarian or a vegan, correct? A substitute for meat?
    edited April 2012
    LOL: Ok, was this study funded by the National Meat Institute? Seriously, Okinawans consume 60-120 grams of soy protein per day and have the longest, healthiest lives of any population on the planet. People in China consume 30-50 grams per day and CLEARLY reproductivity is not a challenge there (Wilcox et al, 2004). I think I'll trust human-based evidence, thank you, and not something concocted in a lab on a completely different specie. I am irritated that mice had to be even slightly inconvenienced for such a study. (Also, in response to breast milk being better for your kid than formula: duh). (One of the comments).
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Too much of anything is bad for you... but Tofu is high in protein (I think) And too much protein in your diet can have rather adverse effects.
    Check this article: An article titled "The Whole Soy Story, The Dark Side of America's Favorite Health Food," by Kaayla T. Daniel, appeared in the May/June 2004 issue of Mothering Magazine. The article can be read at: http://www.mothering.com/growing_child/food/soy_story.html
    http://www.foodrevolution.org/mothering.htm
    Thoughts on this comment: "Our bodies did not evolve eating grains and legumes. These weren't consumed by humans until the dawn of civilization and agriculture and our bodies are genetically identical to those of our pre-agricultural ancestors. All the ailments of modern man come from the modern diet. We are designed to eat meat supplemented with foods of high nutrient value, ie. fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. Not food products made from heavily processed and refined grains and legumes that our ancient ancestors didn't eat. I have never in my life met a truly fit, athletic vegetarian because they don't exist and supplementing with anti-nutrient short chain proteins such as soy will never offer the benefits of eating real, whole food. Meat. All of the vegatarians I know are thin and weak because you cannot build your body on proteins your body was never designed to consume. Imaginary ethics that contradict your genetics and the laws of nature are the only reason anyone would consume the poison that is soy and if you can't wrap your head around that it's probably because your brain is weak from improper protein consumption."
    Then we got this one: "There is more protein in an ounce of soy than there is in an ounce of dead animal flesh, otherwise known as meat. Not to mention the levels of fat and cholesterol that come with meat that causes heart disease and obesity. No wonder America is so fat, because too many people think like you, 'stupidvegetarians'. I have been a vegetarian for over half my life, and being too thin has never been my problem, but then again, neither has cholesterol or obesity. If we are so designed to eat meat as you say we are, then why aren't we equipped with more carnivorous teeth? Funny the biggest most magnificent creatures on earth are vegetarians. I didn't know this was a discussion of whether or not a vegetarian lifestyle was healthy or not; I thought it was more about the benefits/dangers of soy. However 'SmallU', you took the words right out of my mouth with your comment on whether this is funded by the National Meat Institute! LOL!! I AGREE!"
    And one last one: "In another study, young female rats were fed high, medium, or low doses of genistein. Those fed the largest quantities from birth to weaning had reproductive effects later, including early puberty and irregular estrous cycles"

Are you kidding me?? I am from Taiwan and we Chinese eat so much soy growing up, you can literally see soy in half of the dishes during a meal, also breakfast is always soymilk not milk. More than 1/2 of our population is lactose intolerant and cannot consume dairy product, (cow is for cattles NOT HUMAN!!!) However, girls in our country have LATE PUBERTY, first period after junior high is normal. Asians who come here to the US and consume mass amount of dairy and drink milk actually have early on-set puberty, young girls start having their periods at 10 year old!!! You know, when you MATURE earlier, you AGE earlier, that's how our body is. And that is why Chinese/ Japanese look so much younger with less wrinkles on their faces. Asians are known for their long gevity, and no, they DO NOT HIT THE GYM... they just eat soy, more vegetable and fruits!!! And of course stay away from the sun and in Taiwan/ Chinese less make up for girls. We also do not eat desserts/sweets after a meal, only fruits. We don't drink coffee only green tea and no chocolates- obviously we don't need to fight stress when there is no stress to begin with!! (Too much Java in the morning?? HELLO??)

And for "stupidvegetarians"- if all vegetarians are so "thin & weak" how come we live longer??? How come Asians have less cardiac arrest, heart failure, obesity, stroke problems/illnesses linked to consuming MEAT?? U go figure.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The majority of "anti-soy" stuff you see out there is simply meat industry propaganda.

Some real information here. http://www.vegfamily.com/health/vegan-soy-information.htm

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Also there have been studies and articles about soy causing growth in men around the breast area. So you may want to look into getting a double A cup size if you want to have a regular intake of soy ;)
    Which have been completely debunked as nonsensical rubbish. :)

"Clinical studies show no effects of soy protein or isoflavones on reproductive hormones in men: results of a meta-analysis"
    http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=23087520

• edited April 2012
    Right! Too much tofu is not good for you but as long as the stomach is not exploded then it's not too much.

The animal hormone is much more dangerous than the plant hormone. At least I know meat causes acne and pimple.

Right! Too much tofu is not good for you but as long as the stomach is not exploded then it's not too much.

The animal hormone is much more dangerous than the plant hormone. At least I know meat causes acne and pimple.

From experience or studies?
    I found this excellent article about if soy if healthy or not, also this talk about plant hormones vs animal hormones.

http://tatjana-mihaela.hubpages.com/hub/soy
    I found this excellent article about if soy if healthy or not, also this talk about plant hormones vs animal hormones.

http://tatjana-mihaela.hubpages.com/hub/soy
    Thank you
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've heard some men say they can't eat much, if any, tofu, because of the plant estrogen in it.
    I've heard some men say they can't eat much, if any, tofu, because of the plant estrogen in it.
    Yep, some men said that, in the previous link that was debunked. Plant estrogen are very different that human/animal estrogen, actually meat have much more estrogen effect that any vegetable food.

Check this:
    http://tatjana-mihaela.hubpages.com/hub/health-hormones

Blessings.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    This doesn't debunk anything. Sources aren't given for the claims the author makes. One guy going by his own experience isn't a scientific study or a reliable source about soy's affects on the body. Soy doesn't "balance" estrogen in women, it supplements it, so eating soy is actually contraindicated for some women at certain times in their life. Phytoestrogens are a form of estrogen. If some men say soy doesn't work for them, I believe them. Ginseng, (and ashwaganda, and certain other adaptogenic herbs) don't "balance" testosterone, they supplement it.

The author (Reiki practitioner and "healer") of your "excellent" article can't even spell. Bring us an article on soy's affects on the body from a science magazine, then we'll see.
  • I heard that too much Tofu is bad for you?
    Too much of anything is bad for you. In other words: we should strive always to take the middle path between extremes (funny how that ties in, eh?).
  • Right! Too much tofu is not good for you but as long as the stomach is not exploded then it's not too much.

From experience, after reduction on meat consumption, the skin condition improved greatly.

• I heard that too much Tofu is bad for you?
    Too much of anything is bad for you. In other words: we should strive always to take the middle path between extremes (funny how that ties in, eh?).
    I might qoute you with this in a future political discussion ;)

• edited April 2012
    This doesn't debunk anything. Sources aren't given for the claims the author makes. One guy going by his own experience isn't a scientific study or a reliable source about soy's affects on the body. Soy doesn't "balance" estrogen in women, it supplements it, so eating soy is actually contraindicated for some women at certain times in their life. Phytoestrogens are a form of estrogen. If some men say soy doesn't work for them, I believe them. Ginseng, (and ashwaganda, and certain other adaptogenic herbs) don't "balance" testosterone, they supplement it.

The author (Reiki practitioner and "healer") of your "excellent" article can't even spell. Bring us an article on soy's affects on the body from a science magazine, then we'll see.
    "Dairy, she added, accounts for 60 percent to 80 percent of estrogens consumed. "

That's real estrogens.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006/12.07/11-dairy.html
    I heard that too much Tofu is bad for you?
    So then eating meat is okay? :) Ethically/Religiously/Spirituality and so on?

From experience, after reduction on meat consumption, the skin condition improved greatly.

Thanks!:)
    Dairy is terrible too!
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Yea I was going to say that too much of anything is bad for you, oxygen, water, life lol. Anyway IMO tofu isn;t even that tasty :crazy: Also there have been studies and articles about soy causing growth in men around the breast area. So you may want to look into getting a double A cup size if you want to have a regular intake of soy ;)
    I'm a male that's been eating soy products for a good 6-8 years and haven't noticed any changes in my body that seem irregular.
  • Anybody a fan of soymilk? I actually quite like soymilk.
    Anybody a fan of soymilk? I actually quite like soymilk.
    I drink rice milk. I am Lactose Intolerant.
  • Anybody a fan of soymilk? I actually quite like soymilk.
    I drink rice milk. I am Lactose Intolerant.
    Ah fair enough. I rarely drink soy milk or any milk to be honest. I also have never broken a bone so I must be getting my calcium from somewhere else..
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I like soymilk the way they serve it in Taiwan. It's a traditional breakfast dish, served in a bowl. It's either sweet, or salty with green onions. There are various buns and fried puff-bread that you dip into it. It's a whole meal.