Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TITLE CHANGE: Ok it's... Questions to an Atheist - answered

B5CB5C Veteran
edited April 2012 in General Banter

I am ready to answer any questions.

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    Where does consciousness come from?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Why are atheists often so defensive?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What do you call a Buddhist who doesn't believe in a God?
    What do you call a Buddhist who does believe in God?
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    cute thread.. :D

God told me he exists and that he loves me... I know this is true because he said his word is the final proof because he is God.... and he said so. Refute this.

ok ok ...on a more serious note...

Theism ranges from the gronk-like world-view of Rick Santorum and Salifists of all stripes, to the truly sublime philosphical poetry found in the bhagavad gita , or the Upanishads. Painting both with the same brush is ignorant and simplistic.

The popular Athiests like Richard Dawkins are as oblivious to these distinctions as religious fundamentalists. Given that the "New Atheism" is a reaction to gronkish Theism... the new atheism is a mirror gronkish fundamentalist Atheism..

So my leading question is.... when will you guys take the pickle out and develop a subtle context-sensitive intelligence?. ....because it is getting lame.
    Why do atheists tend to me more fervent than evangelicals?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited April 2012
    As an atheist how can you tell right from wrong?
    As an atheist what’s your purpose in life?
    In short: as an atheist what’s your excuse for being?
    As an atheist do you have all the answers?
    As an atheist where will you find any answers at all?

I’m beginning to like this. :p
  • I'd rather have a humanist atheist as a friend than a fundamental extremist muslim...happy atheist day!!!
  • Why label yourself as an atheist?
  • Why label yourself as an atheist?
    If the shoe fits, why not?
  • I'd rather have a humanist atheist as a friend than a fundamental extremist muslim...happy atheist day!!!
    I'd rather have the company of moderate views, theist or atheist... than extreme views of either.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    What's the best way to make Baked Alaska?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Do you agree the difference between "atheist" and "a theist" is not bigger than one space?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Why do some Atheists make fun of people for believing in God? Especially when their belief in God helps them live their life? I know this one guy a while ago, he was what people would call a "asshole". He stole stuff, treated people like crap,etc. Then he got sent to jail and when he was in jail, he was "born again" and found Jesus and god. After that, he stopped stealing stuff, stopped treating people like crap. He became a nice guy. What's wrong with that?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Was Jesus Divine, or just a prophet and healer? Did he survive the Crucifixion, and if so, where did he go afterward?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    When does the next season of Doctor Who start? And what is the question???
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Buddhists don't seem to have any trouble answering these questions. Why is belief in some sort of Divinity needed in order to answer these questions? (This is directed @zenff, not at the OP.)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This is more than enough for now.
    When the op comes back, if he sees fit to re-open it, I'll do it.

Thanks to all who submitted something.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Ok folks, in a few mins your answers will be posted!!
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited April 2012

Consciousness is a very complicated concept that most people will have an hard time to agree. Personally, I believe consciousness starts when you are born and your brain starts accepting all this information. When you die or have brain damage. The date can be damaged or gone like a computer hard drive. This is why I believe when you and I die. We are just GONE. POOF! NOTHING!

Why are atheists often so defensive?

This is mainly due to our backgrounds. We lived in a mostly theistic world. For example, the United States is an Christian state due to population. We do have the "Establishment Clause" to prevent state and religion mixing, but in some parts in our government we get into a Grey area. For example the US government endorses deism due to "In God We Trust."

In America, we are considered lest trustworthy than RAPISTS. Yep, abortion bombers, Muslims, and rapists are most trust worthy than me.

This is due to American culture from the red scare and Christianity adapting it self to the modern world. The communists were supporters of state Atheism, so during the Red Scares the US government made it a policy to endorse an god. In Christianity, it developed from a hateful god to a loving god where people who love god as good people and the people who don't like or believe in god as evil people.

When atheist groups like "American Atheists" & "Freedom from Religion Foundation" go after cities, states, and the federal government for violating the Establishment clause. We are viewed as anti-religious bigots trying to remove god. We get attacked, death threats, or lively-hood destroyed for defending ourselves and the majority of theists would happy to see Atheists gone. We are trying to uphold the US Constitution and try to have the Untied States to keep it's secularism.

Why do atheists tend to me more fervent than evangelicals?

We are tired of being told to "Sit Down and Shut up." for a long time. How do you like being told that your an unmoral human being and your deserve eternal torture. You can't do anything about it because you are an minority. A lot of atheists lose friends, family, and jobs due to being an atheist. We are telling the world (Well mostly America.) we are Atheists and were not going anywhere.

An Buddhist Atheist!!

What do you call a Buddhist who does believe in God?

Buddhist Theist

The same reason why an Christian, Animalist, Druids, Hindus, and etc can tell right from wrong. It is society who thinks right and wrong. Also a bit of evolution in human development that help us to tell right and wrong. Since Murder and steal from each other doesn't help us survive when we were in small social clans. We humans are an social animals. We love groups. We went from small family clans to big clans full of millions of people.

To lead a good, happy, and compassionate short life.

as an atheist what’s your excuse for being?

Should there be an excuse for being? That is the wrong question to ask. There is nothing wrong for being.

As an atheist do you have all the answers?
    Nope

For some, but not all answers. Religion is has not filled any of my answers.

Why label yourself as an atheist?

For the same reason you may call yourself Buddhist. Also in America, it's better for more people to admit and come out of the closet and be an atheist. Maybe our stigma will go away.

What's the best way to make Baked Alaska?
    I don't know. I never made a "Baked Alaska."

Do you agree the difference between "atheist" and "a theist" is not bigger than one space?

That space is pretty big in the quantum world.

Why do some Atheists make fun of people for believing in God?

Since sometimes, theists are so into their religion. They will ignore all facts. When I debate Christians I feel like I chatting to a brink wall. For example, on facebook a Christian told me that "my parents never knew her god." and yet I told her that my parents are Christians who believe in the same god and is she suggesting that my parents are not true Christians. She keeps ignoring my question and kept on saying that I must accept Christ as my savior to get my answer. I dug in and told her to answer my question and I still get the same response: "Just need FAITH! Jesus loves you and you know it."

Sometimes making fun of people is a reactionary tactic to get their attention on how silly their reasoning is since they will or can not debate us.

Especially when their belief in God helps them live their life?

I have no problem if they think that way. If they do trying push their religion onto me or through government. I do have an issue. If they are an young Earth creationist. Yes, it good to call them out even by making fun of them to show how silly their views is and even damaging it is to society.

He stole stuff, treated people like crap,etc. Then he got sent to jail and when he was in jail, he was "born again" and found Jesus and god. After that, he stopped stealing stuff, stopped treating people like crap. He became a nice guy. What's wrong with that?

Have no issue like that, but there are some people like for example General Butt Naked (Joshua Milton Blahyi). A warlord in Africa who killed thousands of people, sent children to slavery, and admitted to sacrifice children by taking their still beating heart before every battle. Years later he convert to Christianity and the evangelical community calls him an hero and a good person now.

Really, I do have an issue like that. A evil mass murder can get an accepted, but an good atheist is not accepted.

Was Jesus Divine, or just a prophet and healer?

There is still a debate, but I believe there was a radical rabbi who may or not be called Jesus who called himself a prophet of the Jews and the Romans killed him. That his story of the current form of Jesus came out of legend and exaggeration.

Did he survive the Crucifixion, and if so, where did he go afterward?

I believe he did died and never survived.

When does the next season of Doctor Who start? And what is the question???

This fall and did you forget the last episode. The question is: Doctor Who?

Mod. Note:
    I've closed the other Atheist thread.
    Bekenze and others may still refer to Q's and A's there.
  • I was told B5C was not going to re-open his thread, so I made my own.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    What would an Atheist call a universal consciousness in the process of self realisation?
    Another question. A person's life is largely misery and pain, why should they struggle to make their life better instead of simply killing themselves?
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Consciousness is a very complicated concept that most people will have an hard time to agree. Personally, I believe consciousness starts when you are born and your brain starts accepting all this information. When you die or have brain damage. The date can be damaged or gone like a computer hard drive. This is why I believe when you and I die. We are just GONE. POOF! NOTHING!
    You do realise that not one cell in our body is conscious; not a single atom. Given that dependant origination states (quite logically and rationally) that a result must be similar to a cause, how can material form (matter) produce non-material consciousness?

And consciousness must start before we're born; just because we get squeezed out of our Mother's 'lady parts' isn't the cause of consciousness, surely?

Also, when our bodies die, our egoic personality goes with it, but consciousness isn't just our egoic personality and neither is it our material body; it can't be since not one cell in our body is conscious anyway.

Maybe you need another rethink?

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Given that dependant origination states (quite logically and rationally) that a result must be similar to a cause, how can material form (matter) produce non-material consciousness?
    Traditionally in Buddhism consciousness and form are mutually dependent, so it isn't a case of one producing the other.
    Science would probably say that consciousness is an emergent property of biological life, or in Buddhist terminology consciousness arises in dependence on biological life.
  • .... there is a really interesting definition of consciousness by the psychologist Julian Jaynes in his book "the origin of consciousness in the breakdown of the bicameral mind".

It's a long winded title, but an interesting book.. In it he describes consciousness as not other than language... and talk of consciousness as other than language as meaningless. Consciousness is language, and language is not other than brain function... not reducible to brain function, just not other than brain function...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Why do so many people in God? Is it an emotional crutch?
    edited April 2012
    Why do so many people in God? Is it an emotional crutch?
    are you addressing the B5C? or is this an open question?

if it is open...

God.. in the more subtle sense of the term.. like Brahman.. or Self... or "The Unconditioned" ... is a natural conclusion arrived at when in practice the arrow of attention is experientially turned back on the seer.. knower, feeler, taster. etc. But this is just a phase that is dropped with further practice...

Seeker 242 just posted a great description of the process here..

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/15232/chan-master-sheng-yen039s-3-stages-of-truth-and-practice#Item_3

....This process is not going to happen for anyone locked into either atheism or theism! These views are two sides of one sticky ideological coin..
    edited April 2012
    I was told B5C was not going to re-open his thread, so I made my own.
    Really, @Bekenze..?....By whom?

Unless it was @B5C, how would they have known?

:scratch:
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I suppose I can answer some from my atheistic views.
    Another question. A person's life is largely misery and pain, why should they struggle to make their life better instead of simply killing themselves?
    I have never felt that my life is largely misery and pain. The reason for making your life better instead suicide is up to the individual. If someone decides to off themself, I do not see them burning in eternal hellfire or reincarnating as a lesser being. I see them as all the things they gave to me and the world. Their form is lost, but the memory lives on. I am sorry that death was their only-considered escape.

A few reasons I wouldn't kill my own self: I value my life, I have a natural survival instinct, it would hurt the people I love emotionally and goes against my present conscience.

The same question could be posited to any belief though.
    You do realise that not one cell in our body is conscious; not a single atom. Given that dependant origination states (quite logically and rationally) that a result must be similar to a cause, how can material form (matter) produce non-material consciousness?

And consciousness must start before we're born; just because we get squeezed out of our Mother's 'lady parts' isn't the cause of consciousness, surely?

Also, when our bodies die, our egoic personality goes with it, but consciousness isn't just our egoic personality and neither is it our material body; it can't be since not one cell in our body is conscious anyway.

Maybe you need another rethink?
    You say consciousness is a THING. I would more accurately describe it as an EXPERIENCE. The matter interacting within our bodies and energy travelling the neural pathway creates an experience that we call consciousness. That is the best way for me to describe it in my understanding. However, there are a few theories in the neuroscience field about consciousness and what it is/where it comes from. My version is a very basic (mud and stone) understanding. I won't pretend that my answer is the absolute truth, but it works for me.
    What would an Atheist call a universal consciousness in the process of self realisation?
    I, an atheist, would call it "A universal consciousness in the process of self-realisation". But first, we must ascertain that this thing exists in the first place. Otherwise, we cannot study it or apply that understanding to our life in any common way. I am not atheist to be contrary. I am atheist because I do not know whether a deity exists or not. And if it does, it does not seem to affect the world about me; therefore, I am not interested in it because I am interested in the world about me. I prefer useful knowledge and beliefs.

I reflect society's morals and also draw upon my own experience to determine good and bad. For instance, murder is wrong to me because it is not something I would like to have done to me. Living is nice, and I prefer to preserve life. Charity and giving are good because I like to receive things and receive support from my fellow man. Stealing is wrong because I would not want someone to take the things I created, or gave something up for, taken away. It gives me a sense of loss when I do not consent to give. I believe that adultery is wrong because I would not want my partner (who made a commitment to long-term mutual support) to hurt me emotionally. You could ask other specific questions regarding morals and how I, as an atheist, analyze right and wrong.
    My purpose is self-created. My general purpose is to feel fulfillment in all aspects. Fulfillment meaning happiness (which explains why I like Buddhism... I like happiness). If you want to make your purpose to kill 10 people, so be it, but there will be consequences set by society that you will have to pay.
    My excuse? I suppose you mean what's my reason for choosing life over death. Refer to earlier in my post.
    I suppose you mean ULTIMATE answers to life, death/afterlife, the universe. I am better off in the present for not needing to worry/fret/fear the future. Therefore, that is how I operate. My ultimate answer to life is that I like it. My ultimate to death is that it is a natural process all animals and life go through. It will be experience-less, just like pre-life. The universe is a big place and fascinates me. I'm honored to be a part of its vastness. Makes me feel like I belong to a larger picture.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Why did you say an atheist's purpose in life was to live a short life?
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    I'd rather have a humanist atheist as a friend than a fundamental extremist muslim...happy atheist day!!!
    I'd rather have the company of moderate views, theist or atheist... than extreme views of either.

You cannot be extremely atheist. That's like saying there is no belief in a deity. And EXTREMELY no belief in a deity.

I believe you are thinking of anti-theists and atheists. Anti-theists are a product of the recent "militant atheist" or "new atheist" movements. They are overly aggressive toward people of faith.

I am only militant in regards to secularity, free-thought, and humanistic endeavors. I am strongly anti-creationism in schools because the school is a public institution where one faith is not to be preferred. It would be very difficult to account for all faiths in all topics. There simply is not enough time; therefore, we should just teach the topics minus the faith-based interpretations. It is doubly silly to do so since these topics are already taught in places of worship (which, btw, get government tax-breaks). Soooo.... it's just really really silly.

I am also pro-gay marriage because I think all people deserve equal treatment. I don't care what they call it. But, legally, gay marriage should be allowed. Insurance has allowed "domestic partners" for quite a long time now; it's time that the justice system recognize it too.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Why did you say an atheist's purpose in life was to live a short life?
    I believe short should be taken relevantly here in comparison to everlasting/eternal life that most theists believe in. 70-100 years is still considered a blip in the grand-scheme of things. I understand your confusion because I had to re-read his statement a couple times.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Why do some Atheists make fun of people for believing in God?
    Since sometimes, theists are so into their religion. They will ignore all facts. When I debate Christians I feel like I chatting to a brink wall. For example, on facebook a Christian told me that "my parents never knew her god." and yet I told her that my parents are Christians who believe in the same god and is she suggesting that my parents are not true Christians. She keeps ignoring my question and kept on saying that I must accept Christ as my savior to get my answer. I dug in and told her to answer my question and I still get the same response: "Just need FAITH! Jesus loves you and you know it."

Sometimes making fun of people is a reactionary tactic to get their attention on how silly their reasoning is since they will or can not debate us.
    Do you feel a need to debate Christians over God? If so, why? What's the point? Why does it matter that their reasoning is silly? Why does it even matter that they believe in god? Some people act like they are on some kind of mission out to prove that god doesn't exist. Why? What's the point? Do they really think that they can convince a god fearing christian that god does not exist? Belief in god isn't based on reason or logic. It's based on faith, is it not? Trying to reason out an idea that is not based on reason to begin with, itself unreasonable, is it not?
  • patbbpatbb Veteran

You do realize that not one cell in our body is conscious;
    probably true but not necessarily so.

You do realize that we are composed of a gazillion tiny creatures (creatures who are living beings).

Either way your assumption seem reasonable and i believe it is pretty safe to think of it as such, but so was the one that stated the earth was flat.

Do you feel a need to debate Christians over God? If so, why? What's the point? Why does it matter that their reasoning is silly? Why does it even matter that they believe in god? Some people act like they are on some kind of mission out to prove that god doesn't exist. Why? What's the point? Do they really think that they can convince a god fearing christian that god does not exist? Belief in god isn't based on reason or logic. It's based on faith, is it not? Trying to reason out an idea that is not based on reason to begin with, itself unreasonable, is it not?

Seeker, I agree with you. I am usually willing to talk to people about religion...even those who come to my door (if I happen to have time). And in all my life (and I'm 62), I've only had one conversation that could be considered the slightest bit unpleasant...although I actually saw it as being quite interesting. Right now I'm living in Colorado Springs, which is perhaps the most evangelical city in the Rocky Mountain states, and I've yet to be approached by evangelicals.

Honestly, I think those who have these unpleasant encounters with people from various denominations must go out looking for them.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    What do you think of anti-theists?
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Atheists often pride themselves on being "moral" or "good" without needing to follow a religion or a philosophy derived from religion.

Is there a real point for an atheist to also be a Buddhist?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

Why not? Many atheists are drawn to Buddhism by its logic. Maybe some people need structure. Maybe some like the meditation and insight aspect.

• B5CB5C Veteran
    Looks like I might do an part two.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @Yishai
    I, an atheist, would call it "A universal consciousness in the process of self-realisation". But first, we must ascertain that this thing exists in the first place. Otherwise, we cannot study it or apply that understanding to our life in any common way. I am not atheist to be contrary. I am atheist because I do not know whether a deity exists or not. And if it does, it does not seem to affect the world about me; therefore, I am not interested in it because I am interested in the world about me. I prefer useful knowledge and beliefs.
    Thanks. I wasn't really talking about a deity but a kind of collective awareness. The cultivating of which is affecting the world around us because we are the world around us.

In my view, we are not just products of the universe, we are the universe expressed through emptiness and form. The way of evolution seems to suggest a kind of instinct that leads to conscious individuals but those individuals are all interconnected to each other and the universe by way of causation at the very least. The universe is all inclusive.

I think the reason nobody can answer why or how life would come from non-life is that it suggests spontaneous arising which is just like positing a first cause. There has always been the potential for conscious beings.

The universe is alive even if it has no "self" of its own except for ours.

Just my two cents. I'm not trying to rag on you for being atheistic, just conversing.
    Who are you asking?

Why not? Many atheists are drawn to Buddhism by its logic. Maybe some people need structure. Maybe some like the meditation and insight aspect.

Good post!

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Who are you asking?

Whoever is answering these "Questions to an Atheist - Answered" questions I guess... lol
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Looks like I might do an part two.
    Go for it! :)

• AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    I have no questions to ask. God or no God, I practice.
    Why do some Atheists make fun of people for believing in God? Especially when their belief in God helps them live their life? I know this one guy a while ago, he was what people would call a "asshole". He stole stuff, treated people like crap,etc. Then he got sent to jail and when he was in jail, he was "born again" and found Jesus and god. After that, he stopped stealing stuff, stopped treating people like crap. He became a nice guy. What's wrong with that?
    I am interested in this, personally. I was raised with a belief in God, but I was never very spiritual until these past six or so years. In the last few of them, I underwent a similar change that had caused me to start living from a better perspective. I was not a bad person, but I was a bit apathetic. After learning some different ideas, I was much happier in my life. My views have since changed from those, as I consider myself Buddhist, which of course, is just a word. My point is, these things can have a positive impact on people, just as atheism can to others. These changes can help push people closer to the truth, whatever that is. I would like to think that Buddhism is closer to the truth than I previously was, and I wouldn't be Buddhist had I not undergone that change. Perhaps we are all on a path to truth, whether we are trying to be or not. Maybe Buddhism is still very far from it. I walk on.
    Was Jesus Divine, or just a prophet and healer? Did he survive the Crucifixion, and if so, where did he go afterward?
    How can anyone living today possibly answer these questions?

An Buddhist Atheist!!
    So many labels being thrown around!
    Also a bit of evolution in human development that help us to tell right and wrong. Since Murder and steal from each other doesn't help us survive when we were in small social clans.
    I agree with this. Whether you believe in God or not, no belief system is really needed to determine that which harms and that which helps.

Hmm... If our cells aren't conscious-- not even our brain cells-- then that means that the cells that come together to conceive us aren't conscious either... so where does consciousness come from, if not the brain or conception? Very interesting. Doesn't prove God, of course, but it proves something very neat.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    How can anyone living today possibly answer these questions?
    I was wondering if there was an "official" atheist POV, or any atheist opinion. The first Q would be easy to answer. The 2nd one, not so much, but there are theories...

I have never felt that my life is largely misery and pain. The reason for making your life better instead suicide is up to the individual. If someone decides to off themself, I do not see them burning in eternal hellfire or reincarnating as a lesser being. I see them as all the things they gave to me and the world. Their form is lost, but the memory lives on. I am sorry that death was their only-considered escape.

A few reasons I wouldn't kill my own self: I value my life, I have a natural survival instinct, it would hurt the people I love emotionally and goes against my present conscience.

The same question could be posited to any belief though.
    I wasn't really asking why an athiest doesn't kill themselves. I was asking if there is any reason an athiest would give to another person to not kill themselves if their life has been mostly pain and sorrow. They could make a better life for themselves with effort but why go to the pain of sorting through difficult emotions and the effort involved in building a healthy psyche if there is a much quicker and easier answer, oblivion. Also since death can arrive at any time they could spend years facing down painful memories only to get hit by a drunk driver without any happiness fruit, why not just get the inevitable over with now and forego the heartache.
    edited April 2012
    I'd rather have a humanist atheist as a friend than a fundamental extremist muslim...happy atheist day!!!

You cannot be extremely atheist. That's like saying there is no belief in a deity. And EXTREMELY no belief in a deity.

I believe you are thinking of anti-theists and atheists. Anti-theists are a product of the recent "militant atheist" or "new atheist" movements. They are overly aggressive toward people of faith.

I am only militant in regards to secularity, free-thought, and humanistic endeavors. I am strongly anti-creationism in schools because the school is a public institution where one faith is not to be preferred. It would be very difficult to account for all faiths in all topics. There simply is not enough time; therefore, we should just teach the topics minus the faith-based interpretations. It is doubly silly to do so since these topics are already taught in places of worship (which, btw, get government tax-breaks). Soooo.... it's just really really silly.

I am also pro-gay marriage because I think all people deserve equal treatment. I don't care what they call it. But, legally, gay marriage should be allowed. Insurance has allowed "domestic partners" for quite a long time now; it's time that the justice system recognize it too.
    It is very possible to be completely bound-up and locked down into any view. A view is a view, and an atheist view is a view.. Attachment to an atheist view is attachment to view. It isn't special.

This discussion has been closed.