Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How About This For A Monastery Location

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited April 2012 in General Banter
:eek:

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    That's the one aptly called "Tiger's Nest".
  • Yes in Bhutan, I find it remarkable. That would be an interesting place to wake up in the morning.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    this use to be my desktop background image for a while.

very beautiful.

It's difficult to imagine to NOT get inspired and do lots of great meditation if i was in there!
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    That's the one aptly called "Tiger's Nest".
    :D aptly? how many tigers do you know that nest up a mountain ledge?

Surely eagle's nest? They missed a trick there :p
  • :D aptly? how many tigers do you know that nest up a mountain ledge?
    As an ex-tiger myself, an can attest to the fact we do sleep on mountain ledges.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    That would be an interesting place to wake up in the morning.
    Hopefully none of the Monks sleep-walk. :eek:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    :D aptly? how many tigers do you know that nest up a mountain ledge?
    As an ex-tiger myself, an can attest to the fact we do sleep on mountain ledges.
    Thank you, Bekenze. Straight from the tiger's mouth.

• That would be an interesting place to wake up in the morning.
    Yea I guess living there would encourage mindfulness on a whole new level. I would love to visit one day, the entire location as a matter of fact would be an amazing experience.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That would be an interesting place to wake up in the morning.
    short stay..... long drop.....

:crazy:
  • Can you imagine hanging laundry to dry...then having it blown away below...

long walk down to get your under-roos.
  • Can you imagine hanging laundry to dry...then having it blown away below...

long walk down to get your under-roos.
    haha, I would construct some sort of bunjee system for collecting laundry. Maybe toos a few clothes down now and then for an excuse to BUNJEE!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Laundry. Interesting problem. All those red robes to hang out to dry. Well, the whole question of running water in general. hmm... Traditional Tibetans are notorious for only washing once/year. Maybe the monks have to ascend or descend periodically to wherever there's a spring.

This raises certain other issues about personal hygiene in a locale like that..... :p
  • It can get pretty windy up there as well I am guessing :lol: Re-thinking it, a bungee jump would require being quite far away from the rockface and constructing some outer platform, so it would be easier to abseil down :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Teach the monks to rappel.
    Places like that usually have secret access. There's gotta be a way.
  • Teach the monks to rappel.
    Places like that usually have secret access. There's gotta be a way.
    Meh, they probably have some monk-system in place already. lol, a memory has just returned to me which took place a few months ago. When we went to go and feed the monkeys at a monastery we were there for quite a while. When we were going to leave, we got in the car and the woman we were with wanted to check there were no more monkeys around the site. We drove up to this clearing on the edge of the cliff and there was a monk washing in an outdoor bathtub, the woman went up to ask him something and came back :lol:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    How did they do it? It says the temple is stabilized by crossbeams that go deep into the bedrock behind. But how did they access the site, and manage to build? Hanging by ropes from above? How did anyone get in and out?

thanks, @Invincible_summer
  • Lol, that is one mad idea to build something like that right there. It seems to be more of a tourist attraction now though compared to the crows nest monastery that seems to be pretty secluded from tour groups with cameras.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Lol, that is one mad idea to build something like that right there. It seems to be more of a tourist attraction now though compared to the crows nest monastery that seems to be pretty secluded from tour groups with cameras.
    Plus the fact that I've never heard of anyone touristing in Bhutan, whereas the Hanging Temple tends to be on the routes of those "10 days in China" tour packages

• Lol, that is one mad idea to build something like that right there. It seems to be more of a tourist attraction now though compared to the crows nest monastery that seems to be pretty secluded from tour groups with cameras.
    Plus the fact that I've never heard of anyone touristing in Bhutan, whereas the Hanging Temple tends to be on the routes of those "10 days in China" tour packages

I plugged the photo from someone who had touristed around Bhutan, they had made a photography documnetary about it. But yes that was my point really, one seems to be a touruist attraction now, and the other an actual place where monks live on the edge of a mountain in peace.
  • gorgeous, amazing, and living in mountains I can only imagine getting in and out of there,

and my fear of heights is acting up just looking at photos