Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Strange light in the sky

ZaylZayl Veteran
edited April 2012 in General Banter
Right so I was just chilling outside at about 5:30 AM today and I saw two parallel lines of light in the sky. They were a dull white blue and seemed to conform to Earth's curvature. At first I thought they were contrails but they did not fade or move at all, they just stayed there. In fact I bet if I went back outside they'd still be there. Any idea of what they could be? maybe rays of sunlight or something? They spanned the entire width of the sky from what I could see, though trees obscured my vision on both ends the clearing I was in was rather large.

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Any idea of what they could be? maybe rays of sunlight or something?
    I'd guess the sunlight reacting with the upper atmosphere.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Well I went back out to look, if I had to guess it was the Northern Lights. The two lines of light stayed parallel but shifted angled dramatically over the course of a few minutes. They were also joined by rather quickly shifting nebulous blooms of light that were the same color.
  • Well, would you say these lights were similar to the northern lights? Have you never seen anything like it before in your region? When the magnetic field starts to move, so will the northern lights. Why did you not take a picture, that would have been cool.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited April 2012
    I don't have a camera for one, haha. And yeah, Northern lights this time of year this far south in Michigan are practically unheard of, so I have no clue what it was. The sun is rising up enough now to where nothing more can be seen. I've read other other stories where similar lights were seen, same color and everything. Some of the stories were even from my state so... who knows, maybe it is a local phenomenon? The best way I can describe them is lines that were a ghostly white blue, transparent, slightly shifting angles (though remaining straight) stretching East/West at first, then moving to a more NW/SE direction before the sky was too bright to see them anymore. The nebulous lights were brighter and more prominent but only lasted a very short while. While behind them there were slightly lighter patches of sky mixed with darker patches of it.
  • Well all I can say is that you were treated to quite a spectacle this morning, and maybe do some more research. If these lights are really out of the norm, then it is begging to be looked into. Something has to be creating it if more than one person has seen them.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I tried looking into it but you can't really get too far when your best description is "line of light in the sky" sadly. That's why I even asked here. Guess we'll never know.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Were they in the northern sky? They sound like northeren lights to me, if they occured to the north I'd put money on it. If to the south, then it was probably aliens or some secret government project.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    LOL - @person - that one made me laugh hard!! Had this image of pulling out a compass and... eeeerm... yep, bleedin aliens again tut tut!!! :D :thumbsup:

Any ideas on East and West while we're at it? :p
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    ...then it was probably aliens or some secret government project.
    The aliens won't bother now because the world is ending this year anyway...
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited April 2012
    When you get further south, I live in Minnesota, if you see the northern lights they don't appear all brilliant and multicolored like in most of the pictures you see of them. They appear kind of dull bluish grey.

Even duller and greyer than this.
  • Ahhh, beautiful, wonderful super deadly radiation :)
  • I know what you were doing outside at 5:30 am...burning a bush, am I right?

... dude?
  • Early bird catches the worm Alison ;)
  • I think zayl was looking for his lucky lighter...
  • To be honest, having a morning smoke and watching the northern lights would kind of go and in hand. Speaking from a stoner perspective.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Actually I was just having a cigarette. I can't partake of the burning bush for a few months, trying to get a better job and all. Honestly a tolerance break isn't a bad idea.
  • Yea I know what you mean. When I was smoking decent green in the UK everday, sooner or later I would only get tired and my eyes became heavy, I looked stonned and I even looked stonned when I did not have a smoke, but I felt nothing. I worry about getting a tolerance to my social anxiety meds, so I have breaks even from them for a few days, if I know I don't need to do much for a day or few, I don't take any. A smoke in the morning though really hits you harder, especially 5.30am!
  • Yea I know what you mean. When I was smoking decent green in the UK everday, sooner or later I would only get tired and my eyes became heavy, I looked stonned and I even looked stonned when I did not have a smoke, but I felt nothing. I worry about getting a tolerance to my social anxiety meds, so I have breaks even from them for a few days, if I know I don't need to do much for a day or few, I don't take any. A smoke in the morning though really hits you harder, especially 5.30am!
    The kind bud available (to me) in college was caalled Northern Lights. I can't stand the stuff anymore it just totally derails me. I'd try it oral form if it became legal as oral form is more gradual as it is not smoked.
  • Well you can simply make a cake, I did that a few times and oh boy does that get you redeyed. It takes longer to kick in, but it lasts for a lot longer and it is stronger, you can even hallucinate. But anyway, as practicing Buddhists drugs by means of anything else than healing should not be taken lightly. There are many highgrade strains though Jeffrey, not just northern lights, kush, silverhaze, AK47, too many to mention, it all depends on the percent of THC content it has.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I myself prefer vaporizing or green dragon, though a good smoke is always killer.
  • My friend use to have a vapourizer, this is the guy who was the worse nfluence on me. His parents were higher class, one a microbiologist and the other a laywer, but parenting skills, not so good. His mum bought us fake IDs to go to a dance music festival at the age of 16 lol. Anyway this guy, name guy as well, broke it within 3 days. It was expensive as well. He use to break everything. He was the one who introduced me into valium and all pharms because his parents had access to them being both doctors, they use to order like 90 a month for him and he would give me some now and then.
  • edited April 2012
    My friend use to have a vapourizer, this is the guy who was the worse nfluence on me. His parents were higher class, one a microbiologist and the other a laywer, but parenting skills, not so good. His mum bought us fake IDs to go to a dance music festival at the age of 16 lol. Anyway this guy, name guy as well, broke it within 3 days. It was expensive as well. He use to break everything. He was the one who introduced me into valium and all pharms because his parents had access to them being both doctors, they use to order like 90 a month for him and he would give me some now and then.
    Sounds like some real responsible and ethical docs...(not to mention parents)
  • A friend of mine from pharmacy school got caught. It really made me sad because she helped me get to a psychiatrist when she knew something was wrong with me. People can be so caring and then get into trouble. Made me sad to hear.
  • Yea I gues they had some ethical issues going on there, they were by nature very helpful and would go out of their way to do anything for their son or me, quite strange.

@Jeffrey, what do you mean by your friend got caught? What has she been doing that was wrong in the eyes of the law...?