Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can one accurately call oneself Buddhist if they only...

edited April 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Try to meditate, abstain from harmful thought and speech, and perform good deeds? Because I think that is the only sense in which I am or will be a Buddhist until I have a lot more free time and money for studying.

Comments

• Sounds about right. :)

Also try your best and don't wait for perfect conditions. Work with whats in front of you!
  • Ah. Good then. That is somehow reassuring.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    You're fine, shays. You don't have to study texts to be a Buddhist. That's why it's called a "practice"! ;) Don't forget "compassion" on your list, there.
    :)
  • Try to meditate, abstain from harmful thought and speech, and perform good deeds? Because I think that is the only sense in which I am or will be a Buddhist until I have a lot more free time and money for studying.
    Is there more?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Shays seems to think that he has to be able to spout suttra quotes from memory in order to be a "real" Buddhist. Personally, I prefer people who practice the spirit of Buddhism, rather than memorizing the letter of it.
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited April 2012
    some theoretical guidelines can be usefull...especially in the beginning,

like a diamond coverd with sand of ego, you need water of knowledge and practice to wash of,

then only diamond remains...

essence.

it's all about the essence dude

*makes a peace sign using a hippie accent *

LOL (that was a joke)
  • wow i'm in a poet mood tonight...

loving this...

LOL
  • Well, if you look even briefly at any of the literature it's obvious that you can take it a hell of a lot farther if you want to. I was just wondering what the generally agreed upon bare minimum is, which I'm sure changes depending on who you ask. Now I'm curious what the answers might be from those of particular schools who have higher standards for the bare minimum. But, of course, for myself at this time in this life I feel that what I'm doing is pretty much adequate.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Try to meditate, abstain from harmful thought and speech, and perform good deeds? Because I think that is the only sense in which I am or will be a Buddhist until I have a lot more free time and money for studying.
    "Only?" Some people who tell everyone within earshot they're Buddhist have even a hard time doing one of those things!
  • Do you add : cultivating loving kindness and mindfulness? Does are good. But I wouldn't label...not sure I'm a good Muslim, either ...I've been having faith a faith crisis each week.

So forget labels, be good. Do good.
  • Do you add : cultivating loving kindness and mindfulness? Does are good. But I wouldn't label...not sure I'm a good Muslim, either ...I've been having faith a faith crisis each week.

So forget labels, be good. Do good.
    this makes you the BEST of all religion practioners...

LOL.....ur awesome.