Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Which parts of Buddhism do you think could have possibly been 'made up' and words added on..

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Today
Not that it really matters because 'wise words are still wise words', arnt they? no matter where they came from..

But just curious to which parts you think actually 'did' come from Buddhas mouth and which did not etc etc..
(of course, impossible to say, i know)
But still, whats your thoughts?

(I personally think that its almost 'impossible' that what we read today about Buddhism is 100% accurate. Simply because of chinese whispers -- Even when I say something in work, just by the end of the day its all been changed and mis-worded..) And apparently nothing was even written about Buddha until 300 years 'AFTER' his death so seems pretty hard to believe that nothings been changed slightly..

Also, Do you really believe Buddha was this 'perfect' human being. Or do you think his image has been completely blown out of proportion?

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Also, Do you really believe Buddha was this 'perfect' human being.
    Yes. Most definitely. Completely perfect in every imaginable way. As for his "authentic" words, don't know but don't really care either since someone else's words can't save you anyway.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    zenmyste

Yes, just like you and I.
  • zenmyste

Yes, just like you and I.
    yeah yeah ok.. very zen. I get it. ;-)
    But lets face it, Maybe you and i are perfect, but some of these sick rapist/murderers aint perfect..
  • zenmystezenmyste Veteran
    edited June 2012
    don't really care either since someone else's words can't save you anyway.
    I agree, But What are you hoping Buddhas words will do for you then?
    edited June 2012
    zenmyste
    But lets face it, Maybe you and i are perfect, but some of these sick rapist/murderers aint perfect..
    Evil is perfect because it is overcome by good.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    You can see for yourself if Buddha is blown out of proportion by studying and applying to your life. Buddha is revered mainly because he taught the Dharma which is inseparable from Buddha, it comes from Buddha (I believe in the trikaya).
  • Evil is perfect because it is overcome by good.
    Evil is overcome by Good????????????????????????????????????????????????

mmm, ok.
  • zenmyste
    Evil is overcome by Good?
    Yes. A journey cannot start at the end.

It starts at the beginning, and those travelling think that the journey is imperfect, because they do not see the end.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

But just curious to which parts you think actually 'did' come from Buddhas mouth and which did not etc etc..

Also, Do you really believe Buddha was this 'perfect' human being. Or do you think his image has been completely blown out of proportion?

I don't believe that the Dhamma is the exact words of Buddha, any more than I believe the Bible is literally the word of God. But, at least with the Dhamma, I am willing to say that it approximates what Buddha actually did teach. And, as you said, wisdom is wisdom.

Well, if Buddha was perfect, then he wasn't human. If he was human, he wasn't perfect. I may have missed something -- and I am perfectly happy if someone fills me in -- but I have never read where Buddha said he was perfect.

• zenmyste
    Yes. A journey cannot start at the end.

It starts at the beginning, and those travelling think that the journey is imperfect, because they do not see the end.
    Evil is evil. Good is good.
    Evil isnt 'always' overcome by Good. This is just a fact of Life.
    (whilst man is still breathing. Evil and good will always exist with one another, Without one overcoming the other.

(im glad you think like that though, its very positive and optimistic. But It just doesnt work like that for some.
    What if a man takes the life of someone (or worse) and ruins that persons life. And that person may not feel any remorse. He gets sent down smiling at his victim.. Gets fed 3 meals aday. Work out, and have a great life in prison, Then dies a peaceful death in his cell. (still not feeling any remorse)

Wheres the good part for the Victim?

• I have never read where Buddha said he was perfect.

Exactly, I havent read that either, its 'other' people who says he was perfect...
  • if Buddha was perfect, then he wasn't human. If he was human, he wasn't perfect.
    I like this.
  • zenmyste
    Yes. A journey cannot start at the end

Evil is evil. Good is good.
    Evil isnt 'always' overcome by Good. This is just a fact of Life.
    (whilst man is still breathing. Evil and good will always exist with one another, Without one overcoming the other.

(im glad you think like that though, its very positive and optimistic. But It just doesnt work like that for some.
    What if a man takes the life of someone (or worse) and ruins that persons life. And that person may not feel any remorse. He gets sent down smiling at his victim.. Gets fed 3 meals aday. Work out, and have a great life in prison, Then dies a peaceful death in his cell. (still not feeling any remorse)

Wheres the good part for the Victim?

Where would the good part be for the victim if the perpetrator was killed? The quality of kife for one has nothing to do with the punishment of another.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Not that it really matters because 'wise words are still wise words', arnt they? no matter where they came from..

(I personally think that its almost 'impossible' that what we read today about Buddhism is 100% accurate. Simply because of chinese whispers -- Even when I say something in work, just by the end of the day its all been changed and mis-worded..) And apparently nothing was even written about Buddha until 300 years 'AFTER' his death so seems pretty hard to believe that nothings been changed slightly..

I don't care if the words *actually* came from Gautama Buddha's mouth or not. The wisdom is still there.

And like @vinlyn said, if the Buddha was human, he wasn't perfect. But he is a very good example of how to practice the Dhamma, even if he wasn't a real person. Perhaps he was created as the archetype for a Buddhist practitioner. Doesn't make a difference to me. It's the underlying message and wisdom that counts.

Finally, just a side note - who cares if others think the Buddha was "perfect" or deity-like? If that helps them connect with the Dhamma, then all the better.

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    What is perfection?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Keep to the topic please.
    the topic is as follows:
    Which parts of Buddhism do you think could have possibly been 'made up' and words added on..
    Thanks.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @federica:

At the same time though, @zenmyste, if you yourself say "Not that it really matters because 'wise words are still wise words', arnt they? no matter where they came from.." then why did you even bother....?
  • Even when I say something in work, just by the end of the day its all been changed and mis-worded..) And apparently nothing was even written about Buddha until 300 years 'AFTER' his death so seems pretty hard to believe that nothings been changed slightly..

Everything the Buddha says, or something someone adds can be challenge. You can take in the words that you, only. Believe which is true, don’t take the saying by face value, challenge it, and try to live it, see if it works. What he said 2555 yrs. can change by culture, belief, norm, taboo. Impermanence is what he taught, and I believe that is true.
    For him to be perfect, his mind might be but he still human, but he was certainly happy.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    And apparently nothing was even written about Buddha until 300 years 'AFTER' his death so seems pretty hard to believe that nothings been changed slightly..
    The oral tradition wasn't chinese whispers, it was groups of monks who devoted themselves to preserving the teachings through recitation and repetition.
    Of course we can't be certain that the suttas and sutras are an accurate record of what the Buddha taught. What we can do is practice those teachings and see if they work.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    From a post by Loppon Namdrol:

"Listen -- you will have to forgive us. These endless discussions about rebirth are tiresome. We don't care. Either you accept it or you don't. If you don't fine. But there is no doubt that rebirth was the Buddha's teaching. People who cannot accept that, cannot accept must of the other teachings of the Buddha.

And please spare us the "buddhas teachings were not written down until..."First of all, this is false. Worst case scenario, Buddha's teachings were written down 150 years after his parinirvana (dates of Asokha pillars), which best scholarship places 407-400 BCE. But it is very likely that the earliest sutras were being written down within 50 years.

Mahayana sutras were almost certainly later compositions.

Tantras later than that.

But the one thing all these teachings share is a common thread of rebirth, karma, and dependent origination which are the cause of samsara, and the breaking of rebirth and karma through understanding dependent origination, which gauranteed freedom from rebirth in this or at most seven rebirths.

All those people who think they will attain awakening withotu understanding Buddha's actual teachings on this subject are deluded."
    edited June 2012
    xabir
    Worst case scenario, Buddha's teachings were written down 150 years after his parinirvana (dates of Asokha pillars), which best scholarship places 407-400 BCE. But it is very likely that the earliest sutras were being written down within 50 years.
    This may be so, it may not; I'm not a historian, but it's not a universally held view among historians.
    Some scholars say that little or nothing goes back to the Buddha.[26] Prof. Ronald Davidson has little confidence that much, if any, of surviving Buddhist scripture is actually the word of the historical Buddha[27]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pāli_Canon#Views_concerning_attribution_to_the_Buddha_himself

It's really not that important to me when they were written of if there was a Buddha at all, but I do think Buddhists indirectly undermine the teachings by arguing unsupported orthodox theories about their origin. Many people these days, even laymen, have the internet and the critical skills to investigate claims, find them wanting, and conclude that Buddhists are swayed by tradition and indifferent to facts. This is the worst thing that can happen to the teachings, classifying them in many educated folks minds as just more mumbo jumbo, which is not the case at all.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2012
    don't really care either since someone else's words can't save you anyway.
    I agree, But What are you hoping Buddhas words will do for you then?
    I think the Buddha's words are like a road map. They tell you what road to travel on and how to get back to the proper road if you get lost. If you follow them, you will arrive at the proper place. But the traveling itself is what saves you and the traveling can only be done by yourself. Just reading the map is pretty useless if you don't actually do any traveling. However, traveling in a place where you have never been before, without a map, is likely to get you lost or wandering around in circles.

Well, if Buddha was perfect, then he wasn't human. If he was human, he wasn't perfect. I may have missed something -- and I am perfectly happy if someone fills me in -- but I have never read where Buddha said he was perfect.

The Buddha is reported on numerous occasions in the Pali Canon as referring to himself as the Tathagata instead of using the pronouns me, I or myself. This serves to emphasize by implication that the teaching is uttered by one who has transcended the human condition, one beyond the otherwise endless cycle of rebirth, beyond all death and dying, i.e. beyond suffering...There is even a sense in which such a one is no longer human. "a tathāgata, a superior state of being (uttama-puriso)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tathāgata

By calling himself Tathagata, he is essentially saying he has actualized the most supreme perfection. A perfection that is far beyond the comprehension of ordinary people's minds. That is what I see anyway. :)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Buddha gave a living dharma transmission so many words were added by those arhats and bodhisattvas which were not of the Buddha. I think most of the mahayana canon to be honest. In the mahayana the transmission is sacred rather than the texts. A teacher can tell if the student understands. But if there is no teacher texts can possibly just elevate ego. All of Buddha's teachings are to overcome ego/attachments or have confidence in their efforts/practice.

The Buddha is reported on numerous occasions in the Pali Canon as referring to himself as the Tathagata instead of using the pronouns me, I or myself. This serves to emphasize by implication that the teaching is uttered by one who has transcended the human condition, one beyond the otherwise endless cycle of rebirth, beyond all death and dying, i.e. beyond suffering...There is even a sense in which such a one is no longer human. "a tathāgata, a superior state of being (uttama-puriso)" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tathāgata

By calling himself Tathagata, he is essentially saying he has actualized the most supreme perfection. A perfection that is far beyond the comprehension of ordinary people's minds. That is what I see anyway. :)

You are welcome to believe that. The problem is, however, that it is similar to a stance taken in every religion that their leader is somehow perfect.

But I appreciate the reference.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @zenmyste

All of it? None of it? Don't care! The authenticity of the Buddha's words are best left to those who are happy to remain as observers and quantifiers of the path. Those walking the path are usually busy enough experiencing the path's truths to make authenticity concerns over what was original and what was added, a moot point.

• lotusbudslotusbuds Explorer
    From a post by Loppon Namdrol:

"Listen -- you will have to forgive us. These endless discussions about rebirth are tiresome. We don't care. Either you accept it or you don't. If you don't fine. But there is no doubt that rebirth was the Buddha's teaching. People who cannot accept that, cannot accept must of the other teachings of the Buddha.

And please spare us the "buddhas teachings were not written down until..."First of all, this is false. Worst case scenario, Buddha's teachings were written down 150 years after his parinirvana (dates of Asokha pillars), which best scholarship places 407-400 BCE. But it is very likely that the earliest sutras were being written down within 50 years.

Mahayana sutras were almost certainly later compositions.

Tantras later than that.

But the one thing all these teachings share is a common thread of rebirth, karma, and dependent origination which are the cause of samsara, and the breaking of rebirth and karma through understanding dependent origination, which gauranteed freedom from rebirth in this or at most seven rebirths.

All those people who think they will attain awakening withotu understanding Buddha's actual teachings on this subject are deluded."
    Wow, I sense a little anger there...not a very welcoming and compassionate response...whoever it was to.

You know, as a beginner to Buddhism, I find Loppon's comment amusing. If he does indeed practice Buddhism, it seems contradictory to say that 'there is no doubt' that rebirth was the Buddha's teachings. First of all, Buddha lived in a society that believed in reincarnation. Yes, reincarnation and rebirth may not be the same concepts, but historians have made arguments that perhaps Buddha did stem his teachings from his culture and previous religious background as a Hindu. How much that influenced him we don't know and probably never will. The authenticity of his concepts will remain unknown.

But back to the point....does that mean that for someone who does not necessarily believe in rebirth or reincarnation cannot be a Buddhist? I think not. Does that mean if I don't believe in the realms as identified in Zen Buddhism, I am not a Buddhist?

I can certainly post the argument that by believing in karma and rebirth, and for some, believing in it blindly without question or analysis, is no different than praying on the rosary and ensuring that I do good deeds so that I may go to heaven and end suffering. Religions are religions are religions. They are man made, they are interpreted and misinterpreted all the time. They change and evolve, or in some case, devolve over time.

50 years? 50 years is a long time. The world changes over beyond comparison in 50 years. People change, doctrines change, beliefs change, cultures and religions change.

I think Buddha, or whoever spoke these words had the right idea:
    "If there is a world after death, if there is the fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then this is the basis by which, with the break-up of the body, after death, I will reappear in a good destination, the heavenly world. But if there is no world after death, if there is no fruit of actions rightly & wrongly done, then here in the present life I look after myself with ease, free from hostility, free from ill will, free from trouble.”

And with that, I find comfort in the knowledge and wisdom of the 4 noble truths, the eightfold path, and the idea of compassion and love for oneself and those around us. I could even care less if Buddha really did exist. Again, the knowledge and wisdom is there, whoever proposed it.

“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”
  • jlljll Veteran
    every part could have been made up.
    it is based on what was passed down through generations
    and historical research/evidence.
    no different from the tales about alexander the great, christopher columbus
    or george washington.
  • jlljll Veteran
    "“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” "

how do you know this oft quoted words were not made up???
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    every part could have been made up.
    Like I said, all we can do is put the teachings into practice and see if they work.
  • Are not all human words "made up"?
  • Well, if pressed I'd have to say the thought that Buddha sat down and delivered hundreds of pesky and legalistic rules for monks and nuns to observe in a temple life, before we even had elaborate temple structures and while his ministry consisted of traveling and camping, is ludicruous. The reason why the Buddha's Dharma was so transcending is because of its simplicity and ability to cut through rules and across boundaries.

But we don't follow the Dharma because a man named Buddha gave it to us. We follow it because it reaches inside us and fills a void. All such sacred writings are a mixture of what was actually said and happened and other religious writers editing and appending over the centuries. Anyone who studies history and historical writings knows this. Asking that every word in the sutras supposedly uttered by Buddha be inerrant is an impossible standard. You want wisdom straight from the mouth of the guru? There are plenty of them alive today who will let you sit at their feet, if that's your preference.

Seems to me, the message is what is most important, not when it was written down.
  • I am not aware of any Buddhist scholar who has proven that in early Buddhism rebirth (punarbhava) was not taught. It is not even a convincing argument to assert rebirth is imported from Hinduism since the notion of rebirth was never universally accepted when the Buddha taught. However, it is safe to say, in light of the Buddha's discourses, that the Buddha reinterpreted older ideas of karma and rebirth.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I agree with Songhill.

For me - and I am quite a sceptic - it is very difficult to dismiss rebirth in the light of available evidence. And believe me I would like to be able to just say "it's just a belief". If you look at the teachings about rebirth, it isn't anything like "oh it's so great I will return and have a second chance" or "I am just learning lessons and my soul is evolving towards some higher self". Quite the opposite.
    Are not all human words "made up"?
    What people are talking about here is what are Buddha's own words, and what are later additions by followers.
    Well, if pressed I'd have to say the thought that Buddha sat down and delivered hundreds of pesky and legalistic rules for monks and nuns to observe in a temple life, before we even had elaborate temple structures and while his ministry consisted of traveling and camping, is ludicruous. The reason why the Buddha's Dharma was so transcending is because of its simplicity and ability to cut through rules and across boundaries.

But we don't follow the Dharma because a man named Buddha gave it to us. We follow it because it reaches inside us and fills a void. All such sacred writings are a mixture of what was actually said and happened and other religious writers editing and appending over the centuries. Anyone who studies history and historical writings knows this. Asking that every word in the sutras supposedly uttered by Buddha be inerrant is an impossible standard. You want wisdom straight from the mouth of the guru? There are plenty of them alive today who will let you sit at their feet, if that's your preference.

Seems to me, the message is what is most important, not when it was written down.
    You're such a sane, reasoned person!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I believe it is a transmission from teacher to student. So definitely something has been transmitted. Since it is a transmission, master to student, I don't believe that age of texts is relevant because the guru is needed for transmission outside of texts.

But it's all good. I do believe in rebirth and I feel if I work on one area of the dharma in this life, then that is good and next life a different area. I meditate almost all day because I hear voices and that is going to be my life.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Hey Jeffrey
    Allow me to spill a little heretical Zen Buddhist wine.
    What is transmitted is a truth that was, is and will always be everywhere. While the source of that transmission is universal, the manner of the transmission is only as important as we choose to make it. The faith/ devotional will meet it through their guru, the suttra scholars through the teachings, the meditative through the sublime.
    Yes Jeffrey, there is a transmission from teacher to student but you might want to open yourself up to a wider definition of what that teacher is because for some folks, that transmission teacher is those suttra's.

On another note.and I don't know if any of it applies to your situation..

I met once met another Buddhist who heard voices who discovered that he had some interesting options on how he experienced who he was. He said that part of his practise was just moving his tendency to experience existence through his thought dominating skhanda over to the other four. (Form, sensation, activity & consciousness)
    He said he discovered what he was really doing was breathing more life into the other four skhanda's that had atrophied over the years.
    He never stopped hearing voices but where they used to define him, now they're like irrelevant background chatter.

• Buddha's words weren't "made up"?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I'm not saying you can't learn from sutras. A pretakaya Buddha realizes the dharma all by themselves.

I'm starting gradually to allow more space to my thoughts rather than only having spaces for consideration of the voices. Before that it was habitual chatter followed by webs of labels from the voices.

It is encouraging for me how you shared another Buddhist's triumph over voices. I am meditating all day from wake/sleep aside from meals, smoke, coffee. I still feel major stress but I feel awesome that I am devoting my efforts to the dharma.

Thanks @how
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    but I feel awesome that I am devoting my efforts to the dharma.
    The most valuable thing in the world to devote your efforts to! Well done :)
    Buddha's words weren't "made up"?
    Try thinking about the initial question, part of which said, "which parts you think actually 'did' come from Buddhas mouth and which did not".

That's what the OP was asking.

edited June 2012
    When I read it for voices, I can sometimes can see the Pali Canon as the work of a dedicated cadre of monks, possibly broken away from another contemplative group in an older tradition (Jain?) which did not accept their understanding, and who then formed a permanent sangha to consider the challenges around the ancient art of pointing directly to what they had realised, and developed a system over at most several decades, but possibly much less time, though it was also amended and added to in later times, and finally, they were represented, perhaps after their lifetimes, as the movement grew, or perhaps intentionally as literary device, with the character of the Buddha.

The texts don't seem to work for me as representing the life and career of one man, they seem much more systematised, as if an organised group put together a core path in a relatively short timespan. They look like work, a project.

The fact that some of the teachings are given by other members of the Sangha rather than the Buddha is indicative of a collective - it's possible that originally there were more voices, but as the legend of the Buddha grew, tradition tended to attribute more and more texts to him.

There's a passage... I think this happens elsewhere in the canon too:
    Then at another time he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, having bowed down to the Blessed One, sat to one side. As he was sitting there [he asked the Blessed One the same questions he had asked the bhikkhuni Khema, and received precisely the same responses and analogies. Then he exclaimed:]

"Amazing, lord! Astounding! How the meaning and phrasing of the teacher and disciple agree, coincide, and do not diverge from one another with regard to the supreme teaching! Recently, lord, I went to the bhikkhuni Khema and, on arrival, asked her about this matter, and she answered me with the same words, the same phrasing, as the Blessed One. Amazing, lord! Astounding! How the meaning and phrasing of the teacher and disciple agree, coincide, and do not diverge from one another with regard to the supreme teaching!
    This puzzled me at first. Because in real life, I don't think the words would be exactly the same; people use different words. But then I realised that it's a sort of seal, so that when students say 'the Buddha didn't say this', the teacher could say, 'yes, but he approved it'. Perhaps as the Buddha legend grew in the popular imagination, it was necessary to connect him to all the teachings and innovations.

The other thing that strikes me about the writing, is how rhetorical it is, and how many actual dialogues and debates are illustrated. This gives me the impression of a very professional attempt to outline a practice in engagement with the salient issues of the day, and the views of other schools, finalised by discussion in a scholarly manner, between equals.

This is of course just speculation, but at the very least, even if there was a single founder, there are indications of greater egalitarianism than is widely imagined by Buddhists today.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Good post Prairie.

I think there was a single Buddha with a very organized teaching, but the repetitiveness in and amongst suttas shows that some further organization has taken place. Also because sometimes the conversations are quite systemetic, not very lively.

Also, meditation does seem to increase memory skills, but I don't think it is very plausible all conversations and teachings were remembered exactly years after they have taken place. However, because there were many enlightened ones around at the time the suttas were formed (orally), they were able to replicate the teachings very accurately, partly because they realized the same things as the Buddha.

From that time there may have been some slight alterations in the suttas now and then. However, the suttas still form a unison. You have to be really taking out and reinterpreting a lot (an unreasonable amount, if you ask me) to considerably change the meaning of the dhamma. Like the 'perfect human being', perfect in conduct, yes. Take that out and you have to reinterpret too many suttas.

Therefore I don't think specific parts are made up later. Some words may be different, some suttas may seem slightly out of place, but when you look at the whole, it's pretty clear what the Buddha was pointing at. Same with a digital picture, you don't look at individual pixels to find out what the picture shows. You look at the whole.

Of course, we shoud base our views not just on suttas, but on experience mainly. But the suttas can be a very, very helpful map.

(above was about the pali canon, I know too little about sutras outside of the canon to comment on those)

Metta!

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    How could the first sermon have been exactly written down? They would have to have had foresight that the Buddha was worthy of recording.

Also it would presume the Buddha read his sermons from a text that was handed out. Otherwise he would have had to have dialogue with those writing down the text in subsequent days. I mean in my sanghas it is quite an effort to record the dharma talks, spontaneous not a written sermon. We need recording devices and computers to transcribe the next.

I hate to hurt anyone's refuge and the written down teachings have been tested true as we can hear the guru's etc wisdom for ourselves. I am just asking questions of how exact transcription occured. I'm with Prairie Ghost that it is a project of a team.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I would presume that he taught the Four Noble Truths and Noble Eightfold Path; taught of Impermanence, Not-Self, Suffering/Unsatisfactoriness, Dependent Origination and Karma; expressed the unbinding of Nirvana, and likely some other concepts that seem so fundamental to early Buddhism (Rebirth if understood is another). He also established the monastic orders which was very important and carried his Dharma. It would be very difficult to know for sure what he taught, though the practice itself leads to knowing what he knew.

The Buddha continues to teach even today. The truth manifests and is expressed according to attributes/capacity. Those who came after Gautama are also worthy, and are also the Buddha. It can be easy to fall into thinking that the founder of Buddhism is more than a manifestation of truth, and to think that other liberated beings are necessarily something different or inferior. This is likely why the Mahayana expresses Buddha in three forms, to separate the human from the Dharma itself. I think that answers the question of whether Sidd was "perfect"... he was perfectly enlightened, but other than that we'd be merely judging his ability to teach. Each fully enlightened being is as liberated as Sidd, but with varying capacity.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    It doesn't matter to me if the Buddha and his sermons were just a complilation of a wider meditative truth. Practise will show one what is really important.
    I pity the teacher who gives a sermon to address a specific desciples difficulties which then gets written down and reproduced as a general teaching.
    Dogen got smacked by that a number of times.
  • lotusbudslotusbuds Explorer
    "“Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.” "

how do you know this oft quoted words were not made up???
    Do you notice how I did not quote Buddha? Because we really don't know 100% whether it was not made up...but the knowledge behind it...the idea...the concept is what I follow from that quote...and at this point, this concept comes from Buddhism (not that it is not reflected in other religions)...and that is what I am choosing to start with and follow. There are certain parts of Buddhism that at this point, do not 'work' for me personally...So I choose to leave them aside. Whether or not they are true doesn't matter to me. I leave my mind open to the possibility that they are, but right now I don't believe in it all and that's just fine.

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    I've read somewhere that scholars generally agree that preserving a body of teachings like the Pali Canon orally is more accurate than in writing (I don't have source at hand). So I believe that the Suttas are very close to what the Buddha actually said.
  • edited June 2012
    he didn't say this for nothing