Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bhavana: The Buddha and Mr. Rogers

GlowGlow Veteran
edited July 2012 in Buddhism Basics
One of the Buddha's models for the liberation of the heart was that of a farmer sowing seeds and cultivating crops. The closest word in Pali to "meditation" is actually bhavana, which literally means cultivation. Like the farmer who cultivates what is nourishing and weeds out what leeches the earth's nutrients from his crops, we too much nourish those qualities of heart (awareness, loving-kindness, compassion, equanimity, etc.) that nourish us and uproot that which causes us suffering (hatred, greed, ignorance). In this spirit, I offer you this teaching by the great American guru, Mr. Rogers. :D (Apologies if you've already seen it. It's gone viral.)

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    I have this, saw it a while back... wicked awesome how they did this.
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Yeah, I was impressed. It's hauntingly mesmerizing. Glad to see PBS entering the Facebook era with aplomb.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    ^ I have definitely gone through periods where I planted the seeds of fear and resentment. The longer you feed them, the harder they are to weed out.
  • "Most of us study Buddhism as though it were something that was already given to us. We think that what we should do is preserve the Buddha's teaching, like putting food in the refrigerator. Then to study Buddhism we take the food out of the refrigerator. Whenever you want it, it is already there. Instead, Zen students should be interested in how to produce food from the field, from the garden. We put emphasis on the ground."
    Shunryu Suzuki in Not Always So
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    the great American guru, Mr. Rogers
    Taste is taste and you can learn everything from anything, but Mr. Rogers always left me going eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuwwww!
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @Glow...Gratitude for this post. :clap:
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    :thumbsup:
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    i was totally enthralled by this man when i was a wee one- he's just so darn pleasant! Also quick note: the model town used in the show was a rough model of the Oakland section of Pittsburgh, PA - where i lived for a couple of years when I went to U of Pitt... looks dirtier in real life! ha!