Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being a hermit

I hardly ever leave the house. I could even go weeks or months without going out. I am just allergic to the outside world. People say this is wrong, and that only psychopaths live this way.

P.s.
I don't work, cuz I've inherited.

Comments

• well, spiritual people tend to value solitude.
    in buddhism, christianity, islam, taoism, shamanism, people seclude themself from others for spiritual pursuit.
    in buddhism, duthanga practice, monks live alone in the forest (although lay-people bring them food daily).
    consider yourself lucky that you have such tendencies.
    what do you think those people who constantly seek out company gain.
    a wise old saying, 'it is better to be alone than to associate with fools".
    DaltheJigsaw
  • Well I would ask yourself why you don't tend to go out? I don't go out too much because I have a n anxiety disorder, but why don't you go out, inquire deep within ask and yourself why? There are so many beautiful and amazing places in the world, so many people and experiences of opportunity. What could happen if your money that has been given to you runs out...
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You've told us little, but I have a feeling that @hermitwin is on the wrong path here. Yes, spiritualism needs some solitude to flourish. But I have the feeling you are clinging to being alone for unhealthy reasons.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    @music , Have you heard of Hikikkomori?
    Not saying that's you, just something to watch out for.
  • If you're happy hanging out at home then i don't see the problem. I would hazard a guess that if people didn't have to get up and go to work there would be a lot more people like you.
  • You know, some people just prefer to be alone and genuinely like it that way, some people like to go out and have friends, and there is also people that like to go out and have friends but nobody likes them enough to really hang out with them....

Which are you? Because I know perfectly healthy people that just like keeping to themselves...

One thing I can say, is that I don't personally think it is wise to live off an inheritance, you need to get a job to teach you the value of money and discipline, then again, I don't know how old you are and if you have already experienced that, so really you need to tell more...
    DaltheJigsaw
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread! I'm with you! Great website: http://www.hermitary.com/
  • Becoming a hermit is a great thing if you do it for the right reasons. I think there are a lot of hermits or lonely people out there who may have it thrust upon them, and then become accustomed to it to the extent that it becomes their habit and way of life. Of course there are introverts that cannot handle going out all the time, or who just prefer devoting themselves to their work or their hobbies or whatever.

I still haven't figured out where I stand ;-)

I've always had some distance between most casual acquaintances, but had some very close and dear friends. I guess that a hermetic trait, to a degree.

vinlyn
  • Become a meditation expert with your free time. Then tell us all about it. :)
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited October 2012
    music said:

I hardly ever leave the house. I could even go weeks or months without going out. I am just allergic to the outside world. People say this is wrong, and that only psychopaths live this way.

P.s.
    I don't work, cuz I've inherited.

@music What do you mean by "allergic to the outside world"?
  • What do you think it means?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    music said:

People say this is wrong,

and that only psychopaths live this way.

Do you think it's wrong?

Psychopaths tend to be gregarious.
  • If you were a proper hermit you would have no human contact right? This is because you want to find true wisdom. IMO compassion cannot be found here for others thus true wisdiom and the truth cannot be realised.
  • Zero said:

music said:

People say this is wrong,

and that only psychopaths live this way.

Do you think it's wrong?

Psychopaths tend to be gregarious.
    But the stereotype of a psychopath is a guy who's always alone, doesn't Go out or talk too much.
  • JosephWJosephW Veteran
    edited October 2012

But the stereotype of a psychopath is a guy who's always alone, doesn't Go out or talk too much.
    Ted Bundy, was one of the biggest psychopaths in history, he was charming, handsome, studied law in a prestigious law school, worked for some department having to do with law enforcement (i think maybe a suicide hotline), he was the guy that people would vent their problems to and seek advice from, ladies man...

This guy beat, raped, killed, and after they were killed performed necrophilic acts on his victims (having sex with their corpse), he would dismember some of his victims aswell, he decapitated a known 12 of a known 30 victims he had...

Then again, you have an introvert and loser like Jeffery Dahmer, so you never know buddy...

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I have consistently noticed that...

Those with a predilection towards hermit like behaviour most actively face their own demons while within the Sangha while those with the strongest social inclinations often learn the most from training periods in solitude. One's inclinations and established strengths often just dictate our next move which seriously limits an unlimited range of other possibilities that might have been more appropriate.

In short, what each of us finds comfortable with in hermit or social predilections, also provides the least possibility of facing or challenging our own delusions, when indulged.
    tmottes