Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Born in the Caul

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
My son was born in the caul i.e. the amniotic sac didn't break during the birth (Ange's "waters" didn't break).

Depending on what website you look at this occurs between one in a thousand births and one in eighty thousand births. Probably less common these days as the breaking of the sac is often done by the midwife / doctor.

Apparently it means good luck and that the person will never drown. I also found the following with regard to buddhism:

In many cultures the Caulbearers (those born in the Caul) were considered to be “Kings by right,” due to the predictive nature of their births and their leadership abilities. This is one of the reasons why certain Buddhist groups, to this very day seek out Caulbearers to be brought up to become Dalai Lamas.

:thumbsup:
cazlobster

Comments

• Would you care to provide evidence that "Certain Buddhists groups " seek out infants born with the amniotic sac still attached to be " Dalai Lamas "..and in the plural ?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    It hardly matters.... I think Bunks is just illustrating such occurrences are extremely rare (they are) and that by virtue of their rarity, many cultures have attached a spiritual significance to that..... Alex is a special little boy, no matter what, because he's here, and with us....
    FoibleFull
  • Certainly.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I found a site discussing what a caulbearer is, and one born with a whole intact amniotic sack, is NOT a caulbearer... apparently, this is specifically a layer of film or skin, covering the face only.....

But such legend, fantasy and imagination can build a whole folklore...
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Dickens draws on that folklore at the beginning of David Copperfield of course..where he has David say that he was born in a caul, which was advertised in the newspaper for 15 guineas...( they were often bought by sailors to prevent drowning, and in those days most sailors could not swim ! )
    He goes on to say that whether because of a lack of money around or because they preferred cork rafts, the only bid recieved was for 2 guineas..with the bidder offering to make up the difference "in sherry .."
    Sounds good to me.
    ZeroNiwalen
    A glass of sherry, with a mince pie, in front of a roaring log fire, and the display of a beautifully laden Christmas tree, with carol singers at the door....
    Thanks, I'll have 2.

(is this "Off-Topic" or what - ?!)

Bunks - have a wonderful time with your 'Christmas baby' and please don't ever insult him with the 'Christmas and birthday pressie combined' baloney - unless it's a new car, or sumphin'..... :D
    Niwalen
  • Bring a bit slow on the uptake I did not realise that the thread was about Bunk's new baby...
    Congratulations...and also congratulations to the fortunate little boy.
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hsu_Yun in his excellent 'empty cloud' biography mentions he was born in a sack and nearly thrown away . . .

All babies are potential Buddhas, no less. Eh ma hoh. :om:
    FoibleFull
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Thanks everyone! All going well so far. Seems a more settled baby than no. 1
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    There is only one Dalai Lama, and he is not selected on the basis of having been born with a caul.
    Sorry
    Bunks
    I hope no-one thought I was being serious re: my son being a DL? Even if they came knocking on my door they would have a snow balls chance in hell of taking him away from his family!
  • Pleased to hear all going well for your and your family .... having a more settled baby sounds good.
    Australia does have in it's history the practice the of removing babies from indigenous families, which came about due to the thinking and beliefs of the dominant society at that time ... not a stellar charactersitic in the history of Australia.
    andyrobyn said:

Pleased to hear all going well for your and your family .... having a more settled baby sounds good.
    Australia does have in it's history the practice the of removing babies from indigenous families, which came about due to the thinking and beliefs of the dominant society at that time ... not a stellar charactersitic in the history of Australia.

It wasn't just indigenous families @andyrobyn. The South Australian govt recently apologised to teen mums who had babies taken from them up until the early 80's.
  • Yes. I live in Adelaide and my friend was one of the first young mums who fought successfully to keep her son after having him with the support of St Joseph's nuns ... The single parent pension made it practically possible due to providing the basic financial support.
    Bunks