Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another silly question from a "newbie"...

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
When I was Christian, and was praying and giving thanks for all that I am grateful for, I thanked God for everything. Now I am not so sure I believe in God, so when I am meditating and saying thanks for all the wonderful things in my life, who do I thank?? I am very confused (obviously!!). :o

Comments

• ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited June 2005
    thank the wonderful things in your life for being who or what they are
  • edited June 2005
    Perfect! Thank you!
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Glad to help :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I still believe in God. I thank him/her for eveything I have and am.
  • edited June 2005
    YogaMama wrote:
    When I was Christian, and was praying and giving thanks for all that I am grateful for, I thanked God for everything. Now I am not so sure I believe in God, so when I am meditating and saying thanks for all the wonderful things in my life, who do I thank?? I am very confused (obviously!!). :o

I'm a former Catholic turned atheist Buddhist. I definitely know where you're coming from. I always talked to "God" and had a good relationship with "him". I was probably the last person someone would expect to declare myself atheist one day. Now instead of thanking a deity through prayer, I try to just be thankful for what I have and thank those that I can for their contributions to the world. For instance, at Thanksgiving dinner I can thank my mom for buying and cooking the food, thank my husband for driving, and be thankful for all the farmers and other workers who helped provide the food.

I've also learned something about that little voice in my head that I used to think was a god. Turns out, it's just me. I have to be careful since sometimes it's wrong, but when it's right I can be proud of myself.
  • edited June 2005
    I am that kind of person too where no one would expect me to ever change religions. No one really knows though. Instead of thanking some invisible force now that I don't always agree with, I thank the people around me that have made my life this way. My parents for raising me, their parents for raising them...etc...So I really am thankful more for my ancestors. I am getting as much information on all of them as I can so I can have greater respect for them. (I think they do something similar in Japan)
  • edited June 2005
    Thanks everyone. DharmaKitten...you are right...it is hard to make the switch from always talking to "God". I was confused at first, because I didn't really know who I should be talking to! It's weird how this little thoughts come up as I am going through this - it is all such a big change. Definitely a change for th better!
    edited June 2005
    When i turned away from Christianity I never stopped talking ot God. I figured it wasn't his fault. ;)
  • edited June 2005
    I agree! However, right now I am trying to figure out if I believe in God or not. It's very difficult for me. I think I believe in God, but I am not quite sure at this point. I am working on it though.
    edited June 2005
    I have a hard time not believing in God. I look around at the world and I see the sky and trees and I think of where it all came from. Sure science can explain how thigs work but not where it was all started. I also feel the energy of the planet all the time. If that's not proof of God, I don't know what is. But that is my view. We all have to find our own.
  • edited June 2005
    I felt like you yoga mama, but I think that Comic just put what I felt into words. I beleive in God and I believe that he put us here to find our way I don't think that God is the judging one people always make him out to be. Because I can't understand why we were all made different if it were meant for us to do the same thing. I don't understand why he would create mentally challenged people that things like rape or kill. The common reason for that would be that they are sick or possessed and are therefore to be excused, but what about the young seemingly sane guy who kills people for the sheer joy and enjoys doing it and become a serial killer. Is this a another type of sickness? Should he be viewed from the same eyes as some people tend to view a mentally challenged indivudual? Some people would condemn and some people would not.

Back to my point, I love variety of people and my friends clearly show how widely my "tastes" differs. It's easier to love them than to condemn them. And more fun! :)

This sanhga just makes it easier to explain what I feel in my 'religious' discussions. To explain whether it's a religion or not is another hour! :lol:
  • edited June 2005
    For myself it was breaking the definition of God. By creating an Image of "God" I am certain to never find him/her. Why would I look for an old Anglo man with a beard and a white robe? Have I seen this to be? In Christianity it says of God 'I am that I am'. Implying no beginning and no end. This is the same definition I can apply to the Dharma. As for whom to thank. I found the way as I stated in my gratitude/interdependence thread so I wont repeat it here. There is a wonderful definition of "God" or the Dharma that really moved me to think about it. It starts like this

Describe the room you are sitting in. Most people will say 'well there is a couch and a chair, rug on the floor....etc. nope try again. Now they might say well there are four walls and a floor painted_______ (color). Nope! Missed it! All of these things either are contained within the room or define our boundaries of the room but they are not the room. The room is the space (emptiness) in which all these things exist. If we take away these things the room still exists. Remove the walls and the "room" just gets bigger. By adding a definition/word to the Dharma/God we only make it small. All things exist within the Dharma and the Dharma exists
    in all things.

^gassho^
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    An interesting subject. I began with no belief in "God". This no-belief became a belief in the biblical "God". I eventually evolved that into the "God/Goddess" belief because I thought it absurd there was just a male "God". Then I began to disregard all conventional religions and thought of "God" as the whole universe, from begining to end, from finite to infinite, here and there, time and space, and all possiblities of experience. Now I am back to no belief in "God", not because I do not believe that there could be such a concept, but because it is beyond my limited thought process to grasp the truth of the matter. I can only experience a small part of the universe i.e. my sensory experiences. I cannot see beyond the subject (me) and I cannot see the entirety of the object (God). To me "God" is unknowable. I have not seen the truth of "God" for myself so I cannot have a view that is in line with the truth. I have always wondered and speculated about this, and I suppose that I always will. Whether or not there is a "God" it's hard to not appreciate the process that brought me into being. Without that there would be no way for me to know the Dhamma in the first place. It seems that even samsara has its own special place in the grand scheme of things. Mike is right in saying that by adding definitions we only limit what we define. I guess this would limit our knowledge of what we are trying to define also. I think that is what the Zen idea of "just being" and "everything is what it is means". I know *BeautifulSpringtimefist* and wolfscalissi have been trying to teach that for some time now. ;) Am I getting close guys?
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I find it fascinating that, in this discussion, all the comments have been about some monotheistic "God", mainly referred to with a gender-specific pronoun. The Abrahamic religions have certainly wormed their way into thinking!

What makes us imagine that there is a single deity?
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    There isn't. If there was all people would have the same beliefs and same opinions.
    edited June 2005
    emmak wrote:
    There isn't. If there was all people would have the same beliefs and same opinions.

What if that is God's plan? For all of us to find our own way?
    edited June 2005
    What is is this G-o-d of which you speak, Comic?
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I do not beleive that there is any "God", as in the bible, Jesus etc. (Dearly hope I am not ofeending anyone here...) I this supposed God had a plan for us all, that would mean that we have a destiny, and doesn't that sort of go against what Buddhists beleive? I used to have this train of thought, that everything was pre-determinred by some almighty power up there, and that everything that happened was for a reason and to teach me some kind of lesson. Then I realised that every day I make concious choices and I am the one that is responsible for those choices. Not my mother, not some God, not the people that may influence my thoughts. ME. It would almost be a cop out to say that there is a grand plan because wouldn't that mean there was some excuse for the way we behave? "Oh, well, I said that mean thing and made Frank cry, but thats is all part of The Plan."I was also reading today that Buddhism is called the Middle Way as Buggha taught that there is no eternalism or nihilism. Simon, help me out have I put my foot in my fat mouth here?
    edited June 2005
    As the one-eyed man said to the one-eyed woman, "Let's make spectacles of ourselves!"

The whole "God" thing is a difficult one. My own position is based on a Christian notion usually referred to as 'immanence'. A 'god-out-there' appears to me to be, at best, an irrelevance and, at worst, an excuse for bad behaviour. The meaning of the Jesus message (to me! All this must be understood as a personal statement) is contained in the statement that the basileia ('kingdom') is here and now, within us. Just as in Buddhist teaching, liberation is to be found within because that is where everything happens!

I have found many similarities between tantra and the mystical Christian teachings, particularly the use of visualisation as a means to contemplation (see The Spiritual Exercises by Saint Ignatius of Loyola).

The important moment for me was reading Masao Abe's writing on Shunyatta and kenosis. The notion of self-emptying creativity rather than some big old bloke on a cloud was very liberating. And, at the same time, I was reading the Fourth Gospel (attributed to John) and the Thomas Gospel. In 'John', I found Philip's question to Jesus, wanting to see the "Father". Jesus answers that seeing him is seeing the "Father". So I asked myself, "When Philip looked at Jesus, what did he see?" because that must be Jesus' idea of God. If we escape from the hideous modern image of a 'perfect' Jesus, he was a man who sweated, excreted, ate and drank, scratched, farted and had smelly feet, just like the rest of us. He couldn't even get a fig tree to bear fruit when he wanted some! The image of God is not 'all-powerful. all-knowing' but of a god who is weak and takes chances.

I am much attracted by the ancient notion of a demiurge who may have shaped the world but, like a potter making a pot, is not the creator of the clay!

In Buddhist terms, a 'Supreme Being' is an irrelevance and the Buddha Shakyamuni always avoided commenting. God-worship requires faith in the unknown and the unprovable; Buddhism requires experiment and testing. In this way, we do, indeed, avoid both the eternalism of mainstream monotheism and the nihilism of post-Nietzschean atheism.

Does that help at all, Emmak, or is it just another layer of confusion?
  • edited June 2005
    I really am enjoying reading this thread. You all have given me A LOT to think about.

suenos096 - you have said a lot of the things that I have always thought. It was hard for me to be a Christian, and to hear Christians say things to me about how if people weren't Christian, then God would condemn them, or to hear things about how if men or women are gay, then they will go to hell. And I would always ask "If it is so wrong, then why did God create those people??". It was so frustrating to me to hear that certain people were being judged by God, when we were told that if we judged others, it was a sin. It was all very confusing to me.

I'm not saying that I definitely do not believe there is a "God" out there, I just need to change my way of thinking about who or what "God" really is.
    edited June 2005
    My own difficulty, when people ask me if I believe in God, is that I don't know what they mean!

An early Christian writer, Marcion, wanted Christians to throw out the Old Testament, apart from the Psalms, as well as large chunks of the New. I wish we had!

I don't know about you, but I am able follow the Jesus path much more serenely when I get rid of that vindictive old bugger in his Tabernacle! I don't mind miracles. I can just about take an angel or two. But Yhwh!?! So I follow what might be called, by some, an nontheist Christian path. It's much more fun.
  • edited June 2005
    Hi Simon,
    Can you explain to me what you mean by a "nontheist christian path"?? Thanks! :)
    edited June 2005
    Okay Simon. I am going to have to think on a lot of what you said. Thanks.

On the subject of gay people or anything else that is deemed evil by Christians. I always used to ask ask Christians why Jesus was always healing people. God was the one who created all these sicknesses. Then Jesus fixes them. It's like someone punching you in the mouth and then taking you to the doctor.

Of course if God created the devil then he also created evil. Makes one wonder. Christians always get mad at me when I tell them this. I try not ot anymore.
  • edited June 2005
    Yea, I have had a few Christians mad at me in my lifetime by asking some of those same questions! Now I just keep most of those thoughts to myself, or share them with my husband! :)
    edited June 2005
    I try to only ask them when they want to know more about me. :bigclap:
    edited June 2005
    *takes deep breath*

I'm still not sure if I can articulate precisely or understandably what I mean, Yoga.

Basically, I take a "black box" approach to the notion of a primal "God". It's the start of the Tao Te Ching:

The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao.
    The name that can be named is not the eternal name.

And if He/She/It is unknowable, unnameable, ineffable, She/It/He goes beyond categories and qualities. This is not some person-type god but, rather, the 'Abyss' out of which everything arises, the "Ground" against which all that is detaches itself, like waves on the surface of the sea.

Over the years, I have glanced at many marginal and mainstream cosmologies. Some, like the Hindu, do not stick to a single cosmic myth. Others, like the Egyptian, demonstrate evolving and changing emphases within a single cosmology. Two modern books which made a great impression on me were Harold Bloom and David Rosenberg's The Book of J (Faber, London. 1990), a new translation and interpretation of the "J thread" in Genesis, and Richard Elliott Friedman's The Diaappearance of God (TSP, London. 1997). I realised that the dominant "story arc" of the two Testaments was a gradual removal of the interventionist Yhwh, culminating in the Ascension of Jesus.

My own Christianity, when I was a bit more mainstream, was very influenced by the existentialists. I read scripture (on one level) as a challenge to me here and now rather than some sort of history. This notion of an absent God struck me forcibly as the experience of many of us in the West.

Years ago, when I first met myths of other cultures, I used to wonder how sensible people could really believe that All-Father Zeus fathered children disguised as a shower of gold or as a swan. In another century or two, people may well be asking the same question about Christians. I began to see that human beings are "mythogenic": they will automatically generate mythic gloss onto legendary stories.

Year by year, as I studied and experimented with practice, I became aware, both in the writers and in my practice, that there was an underlying unity which goes beyond dialectics, beyond duality. The Sufi poet, Rumi, says, somewhere, "there is a garden beyond good and evil, and I shall meet you there". Once I had begun to notice it, I saw it everywhere - and still do.

This has been a really long-winded explanation and I'm not sure I've even managed to scratch the surface. I have said nothing about my belief that the universe contains many different types of energy which we have yet to detect and measure; that gods, devas, spirits, all that stuff need to be taken rather more seriously as possibilities; but that we have crippled our spirituality with all this emphasis on a Near-Eastern tribal deity with delusions of grandeur.
  • edited July 2005
    I've been offline for a few days and come back to this.. I have been raised in the Southern Baptist faith. so my life has been one long sermon about God and things that will make you go to hell or heaven. I am just beginning to journey out into the world where I am thinking there is no "God". Everyone around me at work and in the community is so intertwined with the church , It feels strange not to be a part of this. I have not been active in church for quite some time.( maybe that's because I was uncomfortable with the "god" concept) maybe I went to church because my husband asked me to go and then I felt it was the "right "thing to do for my children. I now know that I don"t believe in Baptist version of things. I'm still working on the "where did we come from" question. It will come eventually. Do I sound throughly confused?? I sure feel like it
    edited July 2005
    Sounds like you are opening your eyes for the first time. Good luck.
    edited July 2005
    Hello Flowerrn,

I can well understand your confusion. To shake off the Western myth of a Supreme Interferer is not easy (and other people don't like us doing it).

There is lots here for the 'recovering' Churchian (as against Christian). Buddhism has been the balm of many a person wounded by the churches.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    The same thing that has led followers of Islam to believe in one god.
    Egyptians to worship many
    Greeks to worship many
    Wiccans to worship an Earth goddess
    Hindus to worship many or just some gods
    Norsemen to worship many gods...

It's what we've been told.

Michael
  • edited March 2006
    yoga mama

i use to believe in god as well.. and found it wierd to
    go through the transition.. of unsure to give him up.
    until i asked myself... why i believed in him
    when i answered myself i found it was because i had
    a fear.. and my god helped me feel safe.
    and that wasnt reason enough for me. lol

so i then realized that i had safety,comfort etc.
    and it all came from me..
  • edited March 2006
    flowerrn wrote:
    Do I sound throughly confused?? I sure feel like it

Confusion is the beginning of Wisdom - Socrates
    edited March 2006
    Confusion is the beginning of Wisdom - Socrates

Confusion means that we have all the elements to solve a problem. They are simply in the wrong order - Fritz Perls (paraphrase)