Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Western Buddhists in Chiang Rai?

BarraBarra soto zenniewandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
It looks like I may be moving to Thailand in a few months to take on a volunteer job with a charitable organization. I'm sure there are lots of Buddhist temples there, but the lay practice there is quite different from here. They don't meditate as western lay people do. So does anyone know if there is a group that I can sit with?

Has anyone on this forum ever lived there?

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    @ThailandTom is a westerner that lives in Thailand. I'm sure he will have some insight for you :)
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Barra, I lived in Bangkok for a couple of years, and have spent a couple of weeks in and around Chiang Rai...more time in Chiang Mai. I was always an avid temple-goer...loved exploring any temple I'd stumble upon. To be honest, I never saw a Westerner in any of the temples that looked like he/she was involved in meditation or any other Buddhist practices. Lots of tourists, of course. And most of the Westerners living in Thailand -- except for embassy-types, "go Thai", if you know what I mean.

My advice would be to just be on the lookout for expats, and you may stumble upon a situation, though I am doubtful.

You might also try thaivisa.com. There's a lot of nutty types on there, but it is probably the best forum for expats in Thailand, and if you sift through the crap, you'll still find a lot worth reading...a great way to learn about how things work in Thailand. And, there is a Chiang Rai section, which you could post in.

Good luck dealing with the ignorance of the Red Shirts. They're ruining the country.

• You wont have any trouble finding a temple in Thailand, there's one on almost every corner. You are correct, there are not many people in Thailand that meditate, but there are some temples that provide meditation classes, you just have to search them out. I will be moving to Chiang Mai with my wife within a year and we plan to start a meditation group that will be part of holistic medical center.

Best wishes in your travels...
    Invincible_summer