Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Evolution?

A young boy who has cat like eyes and can read in the dark.

http://freshtildeathtv.com/archives/cat-eyed-boy-has-night-vision-ability

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited February 2013
    if it's true , sounds like a random mutation of the dna, so yeah evolution.. only problem is it's a useless trait to humans in the modern world lol. It will not give the kid much of an extra chance of survival then any other human in his location. I don't see it becoming dominate and spreading.
  • Jayantha said:

if it's true , sounds like a random mutation of the dna, so yeah evolution.. only problem is it's a useless trait to humans in the modern world lol. It will not give the kid much of an extra chance of survival then any other human in his location. I don't see it becoming dominate and spreading.

Yea if this were to spread properly then we would all end up being night dwellers. I guess if that boy had intercourse when he was an adult with somebody with normal eyes, it may create some cool night vision and daylight vision eyes? I don't know, genetics is a little more complex than that hehe.
    Tosh
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    I don't think that is from evolution, traits like that sound more like a jenetic mutation caused when the rna copying the dna creates a disturbance in the dna sequence. I wish I had eyes that could let me read in the dark! :D
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Maybe he was a cat in a previous life?

:D
    ThailandTomseanBunksTheEccentric
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    That's pretty cool!:)
  • The article said the video failed to demonstrate that the boy's eyes flash a different color at night, as nocturnal-vision eyes do, and that evolution doesn't take huge leaps like that, it works more gradually.
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    I wonder if he goes nuts over catnip.
    ThailandTom
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Dakini said:

The article said the video failed to demonstrate that the boy's eyes flash a different color at night, as nocturnal-vision eyes do, and that evolution doesn't take huge leaps like that, it works more gradually.

Well...actually...evolution is usually a very slow, gradual process, but there are also spurts in the evolution of certain species from time to time. Although, this "spurt" would probably exceed even that.

• The point is that this seems like another attempt by China to get PR for unusual phenomena that turn out to be fake. The video failed to document the phenomenon, even though it would have been simple to do so.
  • I think the actual "gradual" part is speaking more about how fast the mutation spreads throughout the population, not about the mutation itself. Of course, I could not know what I'm talking about.
    Jeffrey
  • dakini, your comment is really poorly thought out.
    china needs to resort to this kind of publicity?

that is like saying lance armstrong's doping is US'
    attempt to get cheap publicity.
    Dakini said:

The point is that this seems like another attempt by China to get PR for unusual phenomena that turn out to be fake. The video failed to document the phenomenon, even though it would have been simple to do so.

• I once heard birch trees were special in some kind of way.
  • I LOVE birch trees!