Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Physicists Find Evidence That The Universe Is A 'Giant Brain'

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited February 2013 in General Banter
I have always felt that the Universe is a living organism. This somewhat sums up my thoughts. Any thoughts?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/27/physicists-universe-giant-brain_n_2196346.html?just_reloaded=1
Invincible_summerThailandTom

Comments

• CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    I can believe it. That's why I think the universe is pure consciousness, this consciousness is connected with all our minds, and this connection is what lets us see things the way they are.
    DaltheJigsawblu3reeDakini
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Fascinating....thanks for posting Leon!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Bunks said:

Fascinating....thanks for posting Leon!

You are welcome!!
    Cory said:

I can believe it. That's why I think the universe is pure consciousness, this consciousness is connected with all our minds, and this connection is what lets us see things the way they are.

Good point!
  • Nice find Leon, interesting to think about. How can we use that theory in our everyday lives though? I'm not saying your post was a waste of time, far from it, genuine question :lol:

Nice find Leon, interesting to think about. How can we use that theory in our everyday lives though? I'm not saying your post was a waste of time, far from it, genuine question :lol:

Nice find Leon, interesting to think about. How can we use that theory in our everyday lives though? I'm not saying your post was a waste of time, far from it, genuine question :lol:

Lol! No question is a waste of time. I present to you thinking as an individual with a brain. Perhaps, begin with your mind always expanding and always evolving. You can also look at it, as always growing and always developing. There are many ways to look at it. It begins within you, so take control of your life!!
    ThailandTom
  • LeonBasin said:

Lol! No question is a waste of time. I present to you thinking as an individual with a brain. Perhaps, begin with your mind always expanding and always evolving. You can also look at it, as always growing and always developing. There are many ways to look at it. It begins within you, so take control of your life!!
    When the human brain dies, the grey matter as it is known is simply grey matter, it has no consciousness. What happens when the universe dies? Does it die or does it keep evolving forever as some people assume? Questions questions questions :p
  • This reminds me of something @taiyaki posted recently.

(44) Further, the good person has thoroughly seen the formations skandha as empty. He has already ended production and destruction, but he has not yet perfected the subtle wonder of ultimate serenity.

Based on his idea that there is universal awareness, he formulates a theory that all the plants and trees in the ten directions are sentient, not different from human beings. He claims that plants and trees can become people, and that when people die they again become plants and trees in the ten directions. If he considers this idea of unrestricted, universal awareness to be supreme, he will fall into the error of maintaining that what is not aware has awareness. Vasishtha and Sainika, who maintained the idea of comprehensive awareness, will become his companions. Confused about the Bodhi of the Buddhas, he will lose his knowledge and understanding.

This is the fourth state, in which he creates an erroneous interpretation based on the idea that there is a universal awareness. He strays far from perfect penetration and turns his back on the City of Nirvana, thus sowing the seeds of a distorted view of awareness.

It is from here:

http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2009/09/two-sutras-teachings-of-buddha-on.html
  • Above as below!
    DaltheJigsaw
  • SabbySabby Explorer

Hm - so maybe then when we quiet our thoughts (our thinking brain) we can access the universal "brain" of which we are just a smaller piece of - this pure consciousness? :om:

cool idea <3
    DaltheJigsaw
    Sabby said:

Hm - so maybe then when we quiet our thoughts (our thinking brain) we can access the universal "brain" of which we are just a smaller piece of - this pure consciousness? :om:

cool idea <3</p>

Perphaps!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sorry.... I read the title as "....Universe is a giant Brian...."

To which i would have said....
    Yeah... and your point is........?
    DaltheJigsawBrianDandelion
  • Good to have you back, Leon!

:thumbsup:
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Hey! I've lost a lot of weight in the last couple of years! :p
    JasonBunksfederica
    Dakini said:

Good to have you back, Leon!

:thumbsup:

LOL!:) Thank you!!!:) By the way.. The news on my job - I'm waiting on Background check, drug test has been passed;) Cannot wait to get started!!!
    BrianZero
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Be sure to let us know when you're hired. After your years of agonizing over choice of major and career, we will ALL party with you!! :clap: :clap: :om:
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran

When the human brain dies, the grey matter as it is known is simply grey matter, it has no consciousness. What happens when the universe dies? Does it die or does it keep evolving forever as some people assume? Questions questions questions :p

Much of Buddhism believes that after death the stream of consciousness moves on to another birth. Theorists speculate that universes come and go throughout time, so I suppose the same might be said of the universe and its consciousness.
    Dakini said:

Be sure to let us know when you're hired. After your years of agonizing over choice of major and career, we will ALL party with you!! :clap: :clap: :om:

I def will!:) Thank you! Hopefully I will start orientation on Monday. Waiting on the last county for the background check!:)