Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Degenerate times?

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
I've read a few dharma books over the past year that have stated that we are living in degenerate times (with regard to greed, hatred, non-spirituality etc.)

If that's the case, why are more and more human beings being born and being given the possibility of enlightenment?

Wouldn't that mean that all these people have been undertaking more virtuous actions in recent lives therefore I would think we live in more virtuous times?

Perhaps I'm just confused......

Comments

• I suspect those dharma books would be wrong with respect to us living in more degenerate times. We had a post about this in the general banter area not so long ago, and as it turns out we've never had it so good. The chances of us dying a violent death are less than at any other period in history.

I suspect modern communications - the media - may give the perception that things are getting worse, but I don't think it's the case.
    RebeccaSBunkslobsterStraight_Man
  • I think we have a great opportunity, but not everyone does in these times. There are the distractions. Ways of feeling bad about ourselves and the world. I think it is more virtuous times. We are growing out of war just a little bit, though it is still ubiquitous of course. There are actually non-nationalistic people which surely other times showed, but like in the early 20th century nationalism was really high. We care about the environment.

I think the worst thing is that we are in our own little bubbles. And there is some amount of scarcity in the world.

But yeah I don't agree that this is a 'fallen age'.
  • Yeah, I agree with the above.

Our lives are longer, our quality of life is better, nobody gets hanged drawn and quartered anymore. Good times :)
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    In every age there are folks who think it's the end times, that society is ripping at the seams, or that we're descending into a morale morass. Perception is just a reflection of attitude.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Lincoln said very well what I was about to say. Every generation seems to think that the next generation is slowly going to hell in a hand-basket.
    lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Reading on the FB pages that are set up for the states looking to secede is hilarious. Reminds me a lot of this kind of talk.

I do wonder about enlightenment though. Buddha came along, what, 500 years before Christ? Using just those examples, how likely is it to have 2 enlightened beings within 500 years, and none since? Or are they less obvious now that our population is so huge? If the point of enlightenment (in my mind anyhow) is to help others achieve it, why are we not seeing it happen more often? Is it because our society is less conducive to it now because of all the busy-ness and temptations? I find it interesting to ponder.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    We seem to become more degenerate as Materialism increases and Spirituality decreases, When seeking happiness in external objects as people often do they accomplish no 'real' happiness because happiness only comes from the mind. Hence as time moves forward and people become more and more interested in the distracting things of the times people have less and less time to train the mind and even the wish to engage in virtue becomes weak because of various distractions.

How sad virtue is a cause of happiness but more and more people mock the virtuous and those spiritual seekers who look for actual happiness these days.
    Jeffrey
    I haven't experienced spirituality decrease. Religion, yes, but in polls at least people who consider themselves "spiritual" in some sense are on the rise. 25 years ago you never heard of Buddhism or meditation or even yoga in my town. It didn't exist. Now even here, it's vastly popular, and while we are as divided as material obsessed as any other town, the number of people volunteering for charities, and charitable giving has been on the rise every year, and that's in a town that has a $26,000 household income.
    Jeffreylobster
    We seem to become more degenerate as Materialism increases and Spirituality decreases, When seeking happiness in external objects as people often do they accomplish no 'real' happiness because happiness only comes from the mind. Hence as time moves forward and people become more and more interested in the distracting things of the times people have less and less time to train the mind and even the wish to engage in virtue becomes weak because of various distractions.

How sad virtue is a cause of happiness but more and more people mock the virtuous and those spiritual seekers who look for actual happiness these days.
  • karasti said:

Reading on the FB pages that are set up for the states looking to secede is hilarious. Reminds me a lot of this kind of talk.

I do wonder about enlightenment though. Buddha came along, what, 500 years before Christ? Using just those examples, how likely is it to have 2 enlightened beings within 500 years, and none since? Or are they less obvious now that our population is so huge? If the point of enlightenment (in my mind anyhow) is to help others achieve it, why are we not seeing it happen more often? Is it because our society is less conducive to it now because of all the busy-ness and temptations? I find it interesting to ponder.

Who says there have been none since? I know of at least 3 - Hakwins, Maharaj, Maharshi - and they're all very recent examples, Hawkins just died a few weeks ago.
  • caz said:

We seem to become more degenerate as Materialism increases and Spirituality decreases,

Caz, can you define what degenerate means to you? I think we may be speaking about different things.

To me degenerate means what the dictionary says:
    Having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable; showing evidence of decline.
    We're not killing each other in the thousands/millions, human slavery has declined hugely, when there's disasters we help (as a planet), we have clean water, we have food, we are living longer, we have better medical care. Wars today are not like the mass slaughter they used to be.

So people are seeking happiness in materialism; that doesn't make them degenerate, it makes them ignorant in the Buddhist sense, yes, but degenerate, no.
    I guess for me they aren't quite at the same level of Jesus and Buddha, but I suppose we can't name a religion after them all, either, lol. Thanks for the names, I will read up on them! I do know Hawkins, though I've never been sure that he is(was) really enlightened. The other 2 I only know in name and not detail so I will read up on them more. I enjoyed reading Hawkins experiences but I have a problem with the applied kiniesology stuff. My mom sees a naturopath who does that practice and so far in 5 years of seeing her the only thing it's gotten my mom is her taking a variety of 40 pills a day of supplements, all costing her more than $300 a month and none of the complaints she's gone in for have resolved. In fact, she's developed more problems, lol. And I don't trust someone who seems to think they can write a book telling anyone who wants to try how to attain enlightenment by following certain steps. I don't think it quite works that way. If it did, it'd be a lot more common. Just my opinion though.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited November 2012
    This question, "Are we living in degenerate times?" was the last one asked several weeks ago at Deer Park. Geshe Tenzin said, "Yes."

We feel in the West this incredible blossoming, and it is certainly blossoming - but it's blossoming of exposure, not necessarily blossoming of deep practice (not a judgement, just, I think, modern reality). If one compares the number of people engaged in very deep practice, I think we could say that number has reduced quite drastically since 1950, if only because the number of people in Tibet and China alone, who were involved in deep practice, was practically vaporized. Before the Communist invasion, there were an astounding number of monks, nuns, and committed lay practitioners, a sizable proportion of these being serious teachers, authors and translators--afterwards, a staggering percentage of these people disappeared.

To us, there are an incredible number of teachers available in the west; but compared to the number that were available only 60 years ago in Tibet and China, our number today is precious but small.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    @caz and @sile. There were several million people on earth in the Buddha's time. There are now 7 billion. If so many virtuous deeds need to be undertaken in order to come back a human then how could we be living in degenerate times? Or have I missed the mark on the teachings? I am pretty new to all this Buddhist stuff still!
  • Bunks said:

I've read a few dharma books over the past year that have stated that we are living in degenerate times (with regard to greed, hatred, non-spirituality etc.)

If that's the case, why are more and more human beings being born and being given the possibility of enlightenment?

Wouldn't that mean that all these people have been undertaking more virtuous actions in recent lives therefore I would think we live in more virtuous times?

What times haven't been called degenerate by someone? The concept of the Dharma "end time" was coined when--a millenium or more ago? This is just the Dharma's fire-and-brimstone side manifesting. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and practice.

Tosh
    Bunks said:

@caz and @sile. There were several million people on earth in the Buddha's time. There are now 7 billion. If so many virtuous deeds need to be undertaken in order to come back a human then how could we be living in degenerate times? Or have I missed the mark on the teachings? I am pretty new to all this Buddhist stuff still!

As this aeon moves forward from the begining Human beings experienced great states of fortune and it gradually decreases throughout the ages with various increases every now and again but as with the teaching of Impermanence the experience of happiness and good fortune with Samsara is always on the decline.
  • Matter of time before 'modern cherry picking' monks drop their celibacy status (in Japan already so?? ) and keep their hair bcos they dont see the need. Or redesign their robes in keeping with the times and bcos it interferes with their driving..!!??

Political monks are already everywhere, sigh. Didnt the Buddha teach detachment, esp for Bhikkus??????????
  • Dakini said:

Bunks said:

What times haven't been called degenerate by someone? The concept of the Dharma "end time" was coined when--a millenium or more ago? This is just the Dharma's fire-and-brimstone side manifesting. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep your eyes on the prize, and practice.

I agree. It sounds like the stuff the Saturday morning Jehovah Witnesses tell you on your doorstep - it gets bums on pews - but it doesn't stand up to closer scrutiny.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Dear Friends of the degenerates (we degenerates need all the friends we can get),

As far as I am aware most people at all times are not interested in the hardier option. They want the quick jollies of wine, men and song. However for those women of a sterner disposition a middle way is always open . . .
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
    Charles Dickens
    ToshCinorjerBunks
  • Degenerate times are not without possibility, though; keeping vows during degenerate times, for example, is said to have a larger effect than keeping those same vows during less degenerate times. The prayers of (and to) the Medicine Buddhas are said to be particularly powerful during this degenerate age.

While alarmism takes place in every age, it's also true that languages, peoples and religions do actually wax and wane. Traditions as a whole, worldwide--herbal knowledge, survival knowledge, indigenous musical knowledge, linguistic knowledge--are without question waning today, rapidly. If one looks closely at Buddhism, the number of "deep" practitioners is, has without question plummeted in the last half century, as it has for deep practitioners of nearly every category of traditional knowledge.

There will likely be a great difference in the kind of Buddhism transmitted in more casual environments, compared to the kind of Buddhism transmitted from one deeply contemplative teacher to a new, deeply contemplative teacher who has followed the first teacher around for 20 years or so from youth. It doesn't necessarily mean doomsday, but given the emphasis Buddhism places on personal practice, especially for those planning to teach, I think it's important to think of these changes and what they mean. It could be that modern man will somehow find a way to continue to maintain a tradition of deep contemplation, but at the moment this aspect of Buddhism strikes me as endangered.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with lay Buddhism and those of us living our Buddhism day to day among our families; it's wonderful, completely. I just don't think we can honestly say that losing much of the tradition of devoted contemplative teachers is without effect.

The Irish language is undergoing a related process; mother-tongue speakers are dwindling rapidly, but second-language learners are increasing or least holding. There is a quantum difference, though, between a living, home language and a classroom language.

"Degenerate" isn't really a pejorative, just a descriptive. Looking around, I feel I see a lot of degeneration of traditional knowledge, so "degenerate times" seems accurate. I suppose the question is whether what we're replacing that knowledge with is equal in value.

Bunks
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Perhaps, it's because there is many more choices than in previous decades and centuries. We are living in a time, where one can Google it, thus it enables our addictions to be that much stronger. With the internet, media and many peer pressure it is becoming that much more difficult to make own choices. If someone does make their own decision, their are most likely beaten with hatred, prejudice or some other type of verbal and sometimes even physical attack. However, not all is lost, some are learning to cope and are getting better in treating themselves and helping other individuals in the process.
    Sile
  • @Karasti It's so cool that you've read Hawkins! He's my teacher so it's awesome to me when someone is familiar with his work.

I have trouble with the kinesiology stuff, too, even though he is my teacher. But reading through the calibrations they seem like common sense to me, and sometimes I just kind of ignore it and I get so much from his clinical insights that it doesn't really matter as much.

As for certain steps, I don't really know what you mean. I spoke to him once and he told me that all it takes is goodwill to all of life including oneself. The green book (Transcending the levels) it's more like, how to deal with and clear out those negative emotions - shame, guilt, fear etc. I guess I do kind of see it as a "step by step" but because growth in consciousness doesn't really take a linear path I don't think it really works that way.

But I have complete faith in his enlightenment, and that, for me, is a requirement as a student. If I didn't trust him entirely I don't think he would be a good teacher for me. At the end of the day, his work has improved my life a billion times over and I'm definitely a fan.

Sorry to hear about your mom. 40 pills a day? What the heck is that? I think perhaps kinesiology and kinesiologists are two different things. :/

I think there are videos of both Maharshi and Maharaj on youtube. I really like Maharaj's teaching style (he like, bangs his fists and stuff and I think he's really funny).
    Yeah you should see her counter with all these pills, and she swears by them even though she's not feeling better (she has seen a doctor, it's nothing serious, she's mostly dealing with the pitfalls of menopause and some gut issues I think are ENTIRELY diet related yet the naturopath keeps giving her more pills after all her calibration tests show something different every time she goes. Maybe she's just bad at it, lol.

I looked back to the step by step stuff I was referring to, and I found out it was from a guy who heavily quoted Hawkins, and not Hawkins himself, so everything is ok in the department! I'll check out the videos, they sound interesting. It's funny, my teacher posts videos from our retreats on youtube, and I find watching them a bit boring, though I adoring listening to him in person, LOL. Perhaps it's because I've head them in person that they are more boring a second time...
  • Yeah, I can't see anyone who is good at what they're doing coming up with a different problem every time and prescribing 40 pills a day! I'm actually really shocked by that... It seems ridiculous. I imagine there are illnesses out there that may require a lot of medication, but 40 pills? Geez.

I never watched the Hawkins lecture I went to - because they were in AZ I could only make it once - because when I went up on the stage I made a bit of a fool of myself and I've always been too embarrassed to watch it! :lol: I find that I watch his other lectures (I think we have about 30 of them) over and over, the same as I read his books, over and over because I get something different from them every time.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Even from nonBuddhist perspective we are living in a very degenerate time.

Love of money and status are the prime motive for almost everything in society. What effulgent person would not be sullied by these crass times?

Without [true] charity all things are nothing worth. What could be more degenerate than the self-serving thought patterns that nearly everywhere prevail?
  • Bunks said:

The times have always been degenerate. Look at the Roman Empire. Humans have always had the same foibles in pretty much the same percentages per population. Saying we live in degenerate times (or the Buddhist "end times") is a good way of recruiting new converts and getting the ones you already have to buckle down and take their religion seriously.

Meh.

edited February 2013
    O C'mon! Calling the Roman Empire degenerate is like calling Crisco greasy!
    Jeffrey
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Bunks said:

Personally, I don't put too much stock in the whole 'we're living in a degenerate age' thing. One reason is that much of what forms the textual basis for this idea in Theravada is of a fairly late date and/or from the commentarial literature. The Anagatavamsa, for example, which talks about the coming of Metteyya, is a relatively late text and isn't canonical. The Gandhavamsa ascribes authorship to the elder Kassapa, the author of the Mohavicchedani (12th -13th century CE).

And then there's the 500 year prophecy, which deals with both the brute survival of the teaching and the survival of the teaching unadulterated with 'synthetic Dhamma' (saddhamma-patirupa), isn't only controversial and considered by many to be a later addition, but also held by many who do accept it as being conditional (e.g., many hold that the acceptance of the additional rules on the part of the bhikkhunis and the subsequent council after the Buddha's death altered this, acting as conditions for the teachings' survival far into the future).

Moreover, while some things seem to be getting 'worse,' partially thanks to the modern-day, 24hr news cycle continually bombarding us with bad news, many things are actually getting better, such as the overall decline in violence worldwide, better health and increased life expectancy, etc. As Lincoln noted, "In every age there are folks who think it's the end times, that society is ripping at the seams, or that we're descending into a morale morass," whether it's true or not.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Here's an essay on the ending age of Buddhism (are we there yet?), that a former member posted a couple of years ago.
    http://buddhistchannel.tv/index.php?id=8,3198,0,0,1,0

It's more about the Dharma degenerating, due to sloppy practice, or outside influences, and so on.

• blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Degenerate towards the earth. Oil nuclear not enough trees to produce oxygen to be sustainable. Fish dying out because the water doesn't have sufiscient oxygen levels.(dying from lack of air must be a horrible way to pass) I watched this video of the Buddha and he mentioned the degenerate times and how the next Buddha to be ( maitreya) would descend from Tusita heaven and be born in the time period. How he would bring about a better lively hood where beingS will live to be as old as the gods.

I recently read an article of chinas air quality and how it was double that of what is considered safe to breath.

NASA also has a video called how the earth breathes and it shows like an 80 or so year spam showing what appears to me like the earth is gasping for breath. Quite depressing :,'(
    Jeffrey
    Well put, Jason!
  • I think it's hard to say that we aren't declining. Watching how kids are today in America is enough for me to be apprehensive. Of course, I'm sure that was said about my generation too so I guess it all depends upon personal perception. I just see no end to the bad in sight.
    edited February 2013
    Well, ones outlook decides his or her thinking... Most definitely we can agree to disagree!!!!!

Though I would by no means call the upper crust of our society the scum, nor would I call it la crème de la crème.

I'm amazed that anyone 55 or older is capable of believing there's a better spirit around now than there was 40 years ago. Of course, internet junkies think anything pre-internet is prehistoric!

So you see things going on without huge man-made calamities in the next 15 years or so? Bully for you!

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Nirvana said:

I'm amazed that anyone 55 or older is capable of believing there's a better spirit around now than there was 40 years ago. Of course, internet junkies think anything pre-internet is prehistoric!

I'm not 55 or older, but I'd definitely rather live in today's America than at any other time in its history as a nation-state. The 'spirit' of today is one that's shaking off a history rife with slavery, racism, sexism homophobia, religious intolerance, etc.; and while that progress may be slow, with reactionary elements in our society pushing it backwards, it's hard for me to see states actually voting in favour of same-sex marriage and thinking we're in a moral decline. Just the opposite.

I mean, if you think about it, only 48 short years ago states still had laws mandating racial segregation and making interracial marriages illegal. Of course, things aren't perfect, and a combination of globalism and recent technological advancements have made our penchant for less than enlightened actions more potentially dangerous and destructive than ever before (economically, environmentally, etc.), but the past wasn't perfect, as if were some kind of golden age where people weren't violent, selfish, or greedy.

And besides the amount of social and technological progress I've seen in my lifetime, I'm quite encouraged (and slightly surprised) by the number of new Buddhist monasteries and meditation centres that have been sprouting up in the past few years. The new hermitage in White Salmon, WA, for example, is doing amazingly well. The people have been so interested and supportive, in fact, that the monks are able to go on alms round in the traditional way at least half the week.
    vinlynInvincible_summerriverflowBunks
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    every generation thinks they live in "degenerate times" and shows proof of it.. it's part of the human cultural cycle.
    edited February 2013
    Jayantha said:

every generation thinks they live in "degenerate times" and shows proof of it.. it's part of the human cultural cycle.

MY GENERATION did not! Growing up as children and grandchildren of two world wars and witnessing great strides in civil rights (including Stonewall-1969), the Seventies were a Golden Aquarian Age. Love and Hope were all around, and so was the myth of it being a very special age of hope. There was so much freedom and friendship, and so much affection. We really glued. Though our parents' generation was divided, we were convinced that we were not the degenerates but that many of them were. Among the older generation, communities were divided by which side to take on the War in Viet Nam (In fact, Ministerial associations in communities such as Cambridge, Mass, never got back together again.)

But our generation thought it lived in the best of times. I guess I will forever be marked by that. You can tell somebody all you like that there is no such place as England, but you cannot convince an Englishman, try as you may.

Degenerate: Having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normative or desirable; —showing evidence of a decline or lack of generativity.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    Nirvana said:

Jayantha said:

MY GENERATION did not! Growing up as children and grandchildren of two world wars and witnessing great strides in civil rights (including Stonewall-1969), the Seventies were a Golden Aquarian Age. Love and Hope were all around, and so was the myth of it being a very special ages of hope. Though our parents' generation was divided, we were convinced that we were not the degenerates but that many of them were.

Degenerate: Having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normative or desirable; —showing evidence of a decline or lack of generativity.

the greatest generation thought your generation was degenerates(damn hippies and pot smokers :P), and now your generation thinks today is degenerate. Maybe I should clarify in that it is not necessarily the generation "at large" during a particular period (ie the young teens and 20 somethings) but the older generation that always feels this way because of all that has changed.

hell I see it when I hang out with my friends(im 34) and we talk about how stuff was so much better in the 80s and 90s lol. Its human nature.
    Bunks
    Apparently, Nirvana, you also forgot a lot about the 70s. The Vietnam War. Kent State shootings. Several race riots. Watergate. Cambodian genocide. Three Mile Island. Attica prison riots. Unrest in Northern Ireland. Israeli athletes killed at the Olympics. George Wallace assassination attempt. KKK riots in NYC. OPEC oil shortages. India gets the nuclear bomb. 2 attempts to assassinate President Ford. Racial segregation in South Africa. First outbreak of ebola. Jonestown Massacre. Greensboro Massacre.

Ah yes, those were the good old days!
    Invincible_summer
    edited February 2013
    Nirvana said:

Well, ones outlook decides his or her thinking... Most definitely we can agree to disagree!!!!!

Well, I'll not knock your generation, I'll just say that we are sheep led by clueless shepherds.

As to your list of phenomena, there will always be troublemakers. But, really Apartheid continuing, Nuclear facility mishaps, oil shortages, and continuing unrest in Northern Ireland were not endemic to the seventies.

Nobody (even back then) said the world was purrrfect or ever could be...

edited February 2013
    Bunks said:

If... we are living in degenerate times (with regard to greed, hatred, non-spirituality etc.) why are more and more human beings being born and being given the possibility of enlightenment?

Well, the simple answer is population explosion, agricultural success, and great strides in medicine and disease control. As for the OP's karmic questions about more people being born, I don't see how it follows from the fact that more people are given the opportunity to excel in virtue, that they actually WILL. One just cannot be sure of things like that. A farmer plants the seed; the plants may grow awhile and then comes the drought. The crop had potential, but failed.

To me the word corruption, Lit, "broken off from [original purpose or function]" is how I'd define "degenerate" in its impersonal sense. With regard to "Virtue," the Greek word is arete, whose meaning is akin to excellence in workmanship. A person's skill was his "arete." Therefore, to be virtuous was, for the Greek, to exert oneself in a skillful, artful, and honest way.

For me, the Ancient Way (or the Way of Wisdom) is the original state of real "civilization" and the further society moves away from this "Tao," the further it is removed from real and meaningful purpose. We have seen so much agonizing over the last couple hundred years by philosophers and theologians about how "lost" humankind is in the universe. For those who are swayed by these perspectives to some degree, through art or philosophy, I'd argue that arguments for virtue lose a lot of meaning in the great scheme of things.

The music of the Seventies was really energizing, unbounded and full of enthusiasm for life. It reflected Tao for me, and had a silence to it —or a rhythm when confronting injustice. But, alas, the loud noise that the present culture craves seems to me to fight Tao. Everywhere the trumpet blares the arrival of some new Product or the latest Significant Study; Loud voices shout past each other on nearly every channel on TV with little listening noted; Every little church with every egoed organist wants an organ too big (and way too loud) for the space; Four lane roads give way to eight-lane roads and the noisy traffic grows even louder; &c ad nauseam... While the population suffers from tinnitus and grows deaf; so YELL louder!

• Bunks said:

Apparently human birth has nothing to do with actions in some previous lives. It is strictly coincidence.
    So I think the simple answer is, there is no answer.

SN 56.48 PTS: S v 456 CDB ii 1872
    Chiggala Sutta: The Hole
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1998–2013
    "Monks, suppose that this great earth were totally covered with water, and a man were to toss a yoke with a single hole there. A wind from the east would push it west, a wind from the west would push it east. A wind from the north would push it south, a wind from the south would push it north. And suppose a blind sea-turtle were there. It would come to the surface once every one hundred years. Now what do you think: would that blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole?"

"It would be a sheer coincidence, lord, that the blind sea-turtle, coming to the surface once every one hundred years, would stick his neck into the yoke with a single hole."

"It's likewise a sheer coincidence that one obtains the human state. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, arises in the world. It's likewise a sheer coincidence that a doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world. Now, this human state has been obtained. A Tathagata, worthy & rightly self-awakened, has arisen in the world. A doctrine & discipline expounded by a Tathagata appears in the world.

"Therefore your duty is the contemplation, 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress.' Your duty is the contemplation, 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.'"

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2013
    The question is nonsense if you step back and think about it for a minute.

Saying either yes or no treats the world, the various nations and cultures and populations as the same and assumes your experience is valid for the rest of the world.

As Buddhism spread in India, over in South America entire populations were being marched up pyramid steps and sacrificed to appease the sun god. A thousand years later, entire cultures were enslaved by the Spanish and worked to death in gold mines. Many people still live in poverty, but nobody can argue their world today has degenerated from then. So for those people, it's ludicrous to say we're now living in degenerate times.

Except for the few remaining and scattered rainforest dwelling tribes, who are being extermined for their land. For them, a compelling case can be made that their world has degenerated.

And we can look at about any population in any nation and find where it's sometimes better, sometimes worse, and two different people could look at the same thing and claim it's the opposite. Gays in America are finally being accepted as not such a big deal. To some, it's progress. To others, it's the sign of degenerate society. So who is right and wrong? And if you come back in a hundred years, what will you find?

So to this question, an enlightened response can only be, "Exactly which part of the world, which culture, and which group of people are you talking about, and which two time periods are you comparing?"

riverflow
    edited February 2013
    Cinorjer said:

Many people still live in poverty, but nobody can argue their world today has degenerated from [times when entire populations were being marched up pyramid steps and sacrificed to appease the sun god —or entire cultures were enslaved by the Spanish and worked to death in gold mines].
    [Bearing that in mind,] it's ludicrous to say we're now living in degenerate times: Except for the few remaining and scattered rainforest dwelling tribes, who are being exterminated for their land. For them, a compelling case can be made that their world has degenerated.

Well, the question as to whether we live in degenerate/decadent/corrupt times does NOT seem like nonsense to me. If a civilization is based on slavery or murder-for-profit, or human sacrifice, then it is not corrupt practice to do such things as you have mentioned above, @Cinorjer. However, when a society purports to be based on human rights, the rule of law, and fair play, transparency, etc., corruption abounds where those conditions are not met by those with power or prestige or wealth.

The question as to whether the times are degenerate or not does not devolve entirely to the actual conditions of the physical terrain, as it were, but to the condition of the atmosphere. I maintain that spiritually we live under a thick smoggy fog and that the Clear Light cannot be seen by any multitude at any time —but can be seen only by isolated individuals. In degenerate times, how can you truly bring these disparate star-gazers together, when there are so many brute interruptions intervening?

Any nonmathematical proposition can be seen as nonsense at some point by "nonsubscribers," but one thinking thus does not make it so. I suggest that if one thinks about the conditions of our times for more than one minute, that the mushrooming population of the globe is perhaps making us a common, crowded worldwide village. Things are going to escalate beyond human control soon. It surely doesn't help that such "forces for good" (so-called) as the Roman Church will not even oficially allow birth control or promote responsibility... I guess that's generativity for you.
    Nirvana said:

The question as to whether the times are degenerate or not does not devolve entirely to the actual conditions of the physical terrain, as it were, but to the condition of the atmosphere. I maintain that spiritually we live under a thick smoggy fog and that the Clear Light cannot be seen by any multitude at any time —but can be seen only by isolated individuals. In degenerate times, how can you truly bring these disparate star-gazers together, when there are so many brute interruptions intervening?

And of course, that would be you?

:lol:
  • DandelionDandelion London Veteran
    @robot I read that it is not coincidence to end up in the human realm... here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/allexistence.pdf
    (page 6)

(I am still very much figuring this all out..mulling it over, I think I will do so for some many years to come)

@Bunks interesting question. Before I 'found' Buddhism, I often wondered where all these extra 'souls' came from ~ i.e the population is always getting bigger (I used to have a Christian boyfriend, and was interested in learning about Christianity, but this was a question he could never answer.. no Christian I have ever met, ever could, maybe it is an unreasonable question but it bothered me!), but when I started learning about Buddhism and how there are different realms, this question felt like it was answered... also see here: http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/whatbudbeliev/300.htm but I know different Buddhist Schools have different perspectives on all of this.

Maybe for a lot of us, it is part of our individual Karma to be born into the human realm at a time (now) when we all have so so many temptations, you don't even have to make the effort to leave your house to buy buy buy! One click of a button and we can purchase something (we usually don't actually need).. maybe it is not about enlightenment for the vast vast majority of us, but about just making one more positive step to get away from greed, temptations, etc. It must be a blumin slow process.. to become enlightened... (thinking out loud here) Blimey. Karma is going to have to get really strict soon though; those that don't cut the mustard must be an ant in their next life.. there is more room for them!!!! :D
    Bunks
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    When were there not degenerate times? The concept that there was some better time in the past as compared to now is just that, a concept.
    All the best,
    Todd
    blu3reelobster
    vinlyn said:

Apparently, Nirvana, you also forgot a lot about the 70s. The Vietnam War. Kent State shootings. Several race riots. Watergate. Cambodian genocide. Three Mile Island. Attica prison riots. Unrest in Northern Ireland. Israeli athletes killed at the Olympics. George Wallace assassination attempt. KKK riots in NYC. OPEC oil shortages. India gets the nuclear bomb. 2 attempts to assassinate President Ford. Racial segregation in South Africa. First outbreak of ebola. Jonestown Massacre. Greensboro Massacre.

You're just quoting from Billy Joel! ;)
    Invincible_summer
  • Cinorjer said:

As Buddhism spread in India, over in South America entire populations were being marched up pyramid steps and sacrificed to appease the sun god.

Are you referring to this as degeneration? Degeneration is in the eyes of the beholder. The Mayan and Aztec empires are among humanity's greatest artistic, architectural and mathematical achievments. Chingis Khan may have wreaked mayhem in his quest to dominate the known world in his time, but he also created a highly cultured empire that covered about 1/5 of the world's landmass, and it was based on peaceful trade, sharing cultural and scientific innovations throughout the diverse lands he (and sons) ruled, abd multiculturalism and religious ecumenism.

Humankind has always had great achievements, and has always suffered from manifestations of ego, the root of degeneracy. There have always been visionaries, there have always been corrupt individuals and corrupt leaders. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The outward manifestations may change from age to age and culture to culture, but at the root, it's the same old, same old.

blu3ree
    Bunks said:

vinlyn said:

You're just quoting from Billy Joel! ;)
    What song is it you think that is a quote from? Certainly not "We didn't start the fire".

Dandelion said:

@robot I read that it is not coincidence to end up in the human realm... here: http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/allexistence.pdf
    (page 6)

(I am still very much figuring this all out..mulling it over, I think I will do so for some many years to come)

@Bunks interesting question. Before I 'found' Buddhism, I often wondered where all these extra 'souls' came from ~ i.e the population is always getting bigger (I used to have a Christian boyfriend, and was interested in learning about Christianity, but this was a question he could never answer.. no Christian I have ever met, ever could, maybe it is an unreasonable question but it bothered me!), but when I started learning about Buddhism and how there are different realms, this question felt like it was answered... also see here: http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/whatbudbeliev/300.htm but I know different Buddhist Schools have different perspectives on all of this.

Maybe for a lot of us, it is part of our individual Karma to be born into the human realm at a time (now) when we all have so so many temptations, you don't even have to make the effort to leave your house to buy buy buy! One click of a button and we can purchase something (we usually don't actually need).. maybe it is not about enlightenment for the vast vast majority of us, but about just making one more positive step to get away from greed, temptations, etc. It must be a blumin slow process.. to become enlightened... (thinking out loud here) Blimey. Karma is going to have to get really strict soon though; those that don't cut the mustard must be an ant in their next life.. there is more room for them!!!! :D

Thanks @Dandelion - to be honest with you, I originally posted this question as I was interested in why there are more people in the human realm than before. More so than whether we live in degenerate times (although the responses were very interesting and thought provoking).

Perhaps I'll start a new topic to cover that one....... :)