Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New here and new to Buddhism

I have been reading the comments here which have been very helpful. I learn very quickly but there is so much info and all so conflicting. My question is about White Tara. This mantra really is calling me but I am having a hard time finding out info about her. What type of Buddhist use this mantra or does it matter? I read somewhere that certain types of Buddhist don't chant or pray which is a bit confusing. Mantras help me a lot during meditation. And does manta and mantra mean the same thing?
Wisdom23BrianInvincible_summer

Comments

• Don't struggle with the conflict. Sometimes we move to extremes to find the Middle Way for our selves . . .
    Manta is a fish.
    White Tara is used by Mongolian Lamaists. Here is one version of her Tantric Buddhist practice:
    http://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/white_tara.htm
    MoonIzAMoore
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Welcome!
    Know that Buddhism is 2600 years old and has been fashioned by the many cultures it has become a part of. So there are many ideas and many ways to practice. I am for the most part a theravada buddhist. Here is a site that has a self guided tour of buddhist teachings. http://www.accesstoinsight.org/
    There are wonderful teachings in the Mayahana tradition-Zen being my favorite. Vajarayana buddhism- has a high regard for mantras, especially that of Tara. A local group I used to attend near my home http://chagdudgonpa.org/ it's founder placed a great emphasis on Red Tara. I never did Red Tara practice but was more focused on the ngondro. Take your time.
    All the best,
    Todd
    MoonIzAMoore
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    My teacher just did a White Tara retreat. I was unable to go, but he posted a 2 part video on it on his youtube channel. I will include the link for the first one, the second one should be easy to find. He is a Tibetan Nyingma teacher.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    Welcome to NewBuddhist, @moonizamoore :)
  • Thank you all. I do know a bit about the different schools but understand that you don't have to choose one in particular. White Tara interest me very much, I am learning Pali Chanting. I noticed a list of about 20+ chants that had no audio and didn't explain what type of Buddhism these chants were from. Being disabled and going blind is what made me interested in White Tara. So even though I am moving really fast, my desire to chant daily doesn't really point me a derection of any particular school? Also, is there a worthwhile CD/DVD with chanting in Pali? There are only two temples near here. I get all my info online but hearing the chanting so I pronounce it right is very important to me. Thank you again. :)