Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What's everyone reading?

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Everyday Zen, by CJ Beck
    Moon in a Dewdrop, Dogen
    Emotional Vampires, AJ Bernstien
    Buddha is as Buddha Does, Lama Surya Das
    A Sand County Almanac, Aldo Leopold
    The Wayward Bus, John Steinbeck
    The New Testament, New Living Translation
    I always have several books going at once.
  • Moby Dick, War and Peace, The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching by Thich Nhat Hanh, Homicide: A Year On The Killing Streets by David Simon, Insight Meditation (introduction guide), Essential Reiki by Diane Stein and Transforming A Rape Culture. I have a hard picking one book and sticking with it, clearly.
  • Nice to see everyone reading! Sometimes I feel like people don't read anymore, and it makes me sad. (And I hate e-readers lol but that's just a personal rant.) It sounds like there's a good variety of interests here :) Books are great!

Shoutout to @lamaramadingdong I am a huge, huge Steinbeck fan. So much love. I had to read Grapes 3 times before I stopped hating it and fell in love with it entirely.

I'm getting close to being done The Game of Thrones ... so close, yet so far. It's not really a "light read" but it's awesome. I have the next 3 books in the series as well, so I'm set for a while.
  • I'm currently reading "The Closer." It's about a woman with a penchant for candy and closing.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Tao Teh Ching

Shamanism, how to yourself and the world with the energy healing of the Americas.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Now interested in the practical aspect of buddhism
    is there any other kind....?

Bit late in the day, in comparison to others who have 'bin there dun that'...

the God Delusion, Richard Dawkins.
    Saw his two-programme production on UK channel 4 and it made sense to me then, but the book has other angles. Am keeping an open mind....

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ....I am a huge, huge Steinbeck fan. So much love. I had to read Grapes 3 times before I stopped hating it and fell in love with it entirely.
    digressing for a second....Lovely story i read in a copy of Reader's Digest, whilst waiting for a medical appointment...

John Steinbeck's widow was visiting China, and stopped by a bookshop, which had a number of double-translation classics displayed outside...
    These are books that have been translated into that country's language, but then translated back into the original language, by approved scholars, more than anything else to prove they can...

She perused the motley collection, and came upon a standard american classic, which she recognised at once, but the title of which made her laugh out loud.
    The jacket bore the name of the author, John Steinbeck.
    The book was of course, 'The grapes of Wrath'.

the title had been translated back into English, however, as ....

'The Angry Raisins'....

BeejBunks
  • I just got finished with Lin Jia Pozi and Spring Silkworms.. These short stories are rather old but incredibly sad and emotionally relevant in the way they portrayed the suffering and anxiety of the unknown as China was being thrown into before the war. If you are in the mood for a depressing book, most of Maodun's stuff will do.
  • @federica lol...."angry raisins"
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited February 2013
    @Gui: I find Dogen to be extremely insightful--when I am ready for him! His approach is highly intuitive--and without being in that frame of mind he can be frustrating. I've read a few various commentaries on Dogen. I am particularly fond of 'Time-Being.' I'm so glad to know you are finding some good in Dogen.

I have a couple more chapters of the Vimalakirti Sutra (Burton Watson's translation) which is certainly one of the more approachable Mahayana sutras, and quite humourous in places too, even in a weird meta-fiction sort of way ('Where are all these Bodhisattvas going to sit?' haha).

I'm also re-reading Sheng Yen's invaluable commentary on Niutou Farong's poem, Song of Mind. Sheng Yen I think has a good balance between a basic nuts-and-bolts approach to Chan, a sense of compassion, and the broader philosophical perspective.
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Raven said:

Ooh excellent choice @Jason It's on my hit list. (Have you read Crime & Punishment? Also fantastic!)

@Jason: Seconding @Raven 's recommendation for D's Crime and Punishment. I am not one to read much fiction, but this novel counts as one of those life-changing kinds of novels for me.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    The Bible and Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand: A Concise Discourse on the Path to Enlightenment - http://www.amazon.com/Liberation-Palm-Your-Hand-Enlightenment/dp/0861711262
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I'm reading "The Fortress of the Pearl" from the Elric Saga of Michael Moorcock.
    I like a lot fantasy and science fiction novels.

Buddhist literature that I'm reading "What make you Not a Buddhist" from Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse, really good book.
  • CoryCory Tennessee Veteran
    I really like Fire in the Heart, I have it right now and it is truly inspiring. It says "Spiritual guide for teens" on it, but I think everybody could learn something from it. :om:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I have a bad habit of starting multiple books and switching between them. Almost finished with The Magic Mountain, about halfway through A People's History of the United States, and an eighth of the way through History of Political Philosophy and Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
    riverflow
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I pretty much only read Buddhist books these days (except for the Big Issue magazine)

I'm currently reading Living Meditation Living Insight - an essay by Dr Thynn Thynn. Very good!

Can be downloaded free below:

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/livngmed.pdf

cheladeb2676
  • I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was so, so wonderful. It put a lot into perspective for me personally and I had a hard time not becoming attached to it. :p

I'm also making my way through the Udana. I'm about to start chapter 4.
  • The Wastelands, by Stephen King
    ZendoLord84
  • Starting today on Red Pine's translation and commentary on the Heart Sutra. I read it a couple (?) years ago and it was good. Returning to it again, it is even better!
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Reading "Towards a True Kinship of Faiths" by HHDL and finishing up "Everyday Zen" by Joko Beck.
  • Learning How to Learn Idries Shah

probably only the 25 reading, so still learning . . . :clap:
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
    deb2676
  • I'm reading Diamond Mind: A Psychology of Meditation (Rob Nairn). As someone fairly new to the practice of meditating, I am finding it extremely useful and informative.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm. I've been feeling a bit feckless with my meditation practise (though I've been disciplined and been getting in an hour a day in two sittings), so thought a book might help.

He reckons he can achieve states that feel better than sex. That remains to be experienced!
    lobsterdeb2676
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Not a Buddhist book, but...

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo. I read it once about twelve years ago. The recent film inspired me to revisit it. It is one of my favorite books in the world.
    DaftChrisdeb2676
  • chelachela Veteran
    Tosh said:

Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm. I've been feeling a bit feckless with my meditation practise (though I've been disciplined and been getting in an hour a day in two sittings), so thought a book might help.

He reckons he can achieve states that feel better than sex. That remains to be experienced!

Interesting. This does seem a bit like this "blissed out" state that everyone else I read says can't be reached in meditation. I suppose the danger lies in being attached to expectations.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Here are some books I'm currently reading and want to start:

1.) There is a God: How the worlds most notorious atheist changed his mind. by Anthony Flew

2.) Mind and Cosmos by Thomas Nigel

3.) Dynamics of Faith by Paul Tillich

4.) Why Christianity Must Change or Die by John Shelby Spong

5.) A ton of college text books; mainly psychology.
    Bunks
  • man and his symbols by Carl Jung
  • NewBuddhist discussion forums :p
    DaftChrisBunkslobster
  • Re-reading Red Pine's translation (with commentary) of the Diamond Sutra. And Sheng Yen's commentary on the Heart Sutra, There Is No Suffering.

I ordered a few more books which will wrap up my collection of Sheng Yen books for the time being. I'll be reading (and in some cases re-reading) all of his books over the next few months. It appears he has become a sort of teacher by proxy for me through his books. Most of them are actually transcripts from lectures given at retreats.
  • SabbySabby Explorer
    Has anyone read the book - Fear by Thich Nhat Hanh?

I was going to pick it up today
  • chelachela Veteran
    @Sabby, not yet, but have it on my list. Let me know if you read it, what you think about it.

I am currently reading "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" by Nhat Hanh.

@Riverflow, I feel that way about Thich Nhat Hanh- through his writings, I feel like he is my teacher (of course he is, everyone is a teacher in some way, but I am really "attached" to his style).
    riverflow
  • SabbySabby Explorer
    @chela, I plan to start reading it today and I will share my opinion.

and maybe that will be my next read, what is your opinion on that book by Nhat Hanh?
  • chela said:

I am currently reading "The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings" by Nhat Hanh.

Oh, that's an excellent book and a great 'Buddhism 101' book -- which I plan to re-read sometime this year.
    chela
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran
    Raven said:

Ooh excellent choice @Jason It's on my hit list. (Have you read Crime & Punishment? Also fantastic!)

As far as non-practice books, I'm reading The Game of Thrones. Actually, "devouring" might be a better word.

Crime and Punishment is fantastic, one of the few books I still have on my bookshelf. I also watched the film a year or so ago, not so good.

Not reading any books at the moment due to studying, but when it's done with in 2 weeks I have a list of books I'd like to get through. I'd like to read a few biographies so have Ghandi, Mandela and the Dalai Lama on my list of wants. Would also like to read about Mother Teresa but not sure which book, they sound a bit 'preachy'.

Following those I'd like to get back in to C19 literature, Dickens, Austen etc. I have this thing for the Victorian era.
  • Cell, by Stephen King
  • chelachela Veteran
    @Sabby I really like The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings. I am about halfway through. Nhat Hanh touches on all of the ideas in other books I've read of his (Peace is Every Step and The Miracle of Mindfulness), but of course, this book is more developed in the teachings. I would say it's great from a beginner perspective. I like his style of writing, although I confess that I haven't read a lot of other Buddhist writers yet. I like his style because I am wrestling a monkey mind and a two year old, and so I find it easy to put the book down and come back to it frequently without losing anything. He also says the same thing repeatedly, in different ways, which helps me absorb the real meaning. I also enjoy his prose style of writing and will eventually order his book of verses.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Sabby said:

Has anyone read the book - Fear by Thich Nhat Hanh?

I was going to pick it up today

I started reading it @Sabby but didn't get too far. Felt a little too much like a "self help" book to me as opposed to Buddhist literature.

• I'm currently reading the mind. I'd say it's the best book to read to understand Dharma.
    lobster
  • This thread.
    ZendoLord84
  • CittaCitta Veteran

From my childlike understanding there are three different branches of islam. Sunni, which is 90% and they follow the law and obligatory practices, which is all good. the shia, which are fundamentalist and interpret the quran to meet their end...this sect is partially to blame for the stereotypical bombing muslim that the media portrays...they believe they are descendants from ismael...abrahams son with the egyptian hand maid hagar.....

Sufi is not definitive in their practice and the main belief is what jesus taught: it's about the spirit of the law. It's about interpretation, not dogma.

they are also not satisfied with daily mundane practice of sunnis...they believe that the experience of heaven of allah can be lived and felt everyday.

Not so.
    There are Sunni and Shia Sufis. There are Sunni and Shia terrorists.
    Al Queda is SUNNI not Shia.
    Most suicide attacks against the west and against Sufi shrines are carried out by Sunnis.
    Both Shias and Sunnis have fundamentalists and also an inner tradition which emphasises peace and the development of wisdom.
  • SabbySabby Explorer
    @chela, I will keep that book in mind! i am a beginner and would most likely benefit from such a book

@Bunks, i feel like i know what you mean, I am done the first two chapters, but at the same time maybe a self-help book would also be of some benefit? I hope to gain some insight from it either way and I can share my opinion after im done :)
    chela
  • Still creeping my way through the Diamond Sutra (Red Pine's translation with commentary)--but definitely insightful.

Tonight I started on another Sheng Yen book, Getting the Buddha Mind.
  • I started on a newly published anthology of Thich Nhat Hanh's sutra commentaries Awakening of the Heart: Essential Buddhist Sutras and Commentaries. I've only gotten a few pages into it, but it looks very good.

Just a few more pages on Red Pine's commentary on the Diamond Sutra... so after that I will read something by Sheng Yen, but I haven't decided just what yet.
  • SabbySabby Explorer
    I just read "A Child of Eternity: An Extraordinary Young Girl's Message from the World Beyond"

A very good book

Book description

This is a book about mystery--the mystery of divine love, the mystery of human connection, and the mystery of a reality that exists beyond our five senses. In A Child of Eternity, you will learn about a remarkable young girl who, against impossible odds, brings us a message from God, a message the world desperately needs to hear. On December 8, 1981, Kristi Jorde gave birth to her first child, a beautiful baby girl named Adriana. But as the months and years went by, Kristi began to wonder if something could be wrong with her daughter. Experts insisted Adri was normal. Not until she was four years old did an astute doctor diagnose Adri's problem. Adri is autistic. Kristi soon learned about Facilitated Communication, a keyboard technique that allows autistic people to communicate with others. Adri's first attempts at FC astonished her mother; clearly, Adri had long been aware of everything around her. Then something happened that was so startling, so breathtaking, that Kristi could barely believe it. Adri began to tell Kristi about her past lives, about Jesus, about the concept of spiritual masters--and about the guides that were available to help Kristi on her own path to enlightenment. Confused at first, Kristi was soon overcome by the authority and truth that emanated from Adri's writings. The body of knowledge that Adri possessed, and was now sharing with her mother, broke all the boundaries that Kristi had always held. Adri's determination to send forth a profound message of God's love to the world was a triumph. And now the story of her journey and the wisdom she reveals can be shared with all who will listen. A Child of Eternity is a dramatic and powerful narrative about a special young girl who is part seer, part angel. As we share her amazing story, we too are called to an awakening of the spirit. Anyone seeking evidence of God's presence in the world will not fail to be moved by the truth of A Child of Eternity
  • The diamond sutra.
    and.
    Valley of Kings by Wilbur Smith
  • Four Noble Truths by Ajahn Sumedho.
  • MateeahMateeah Explorer
    I read this wrong at first, I thought you said you gobbled up the book, and mindful eating is something you're working on. LOL

Emptiness Dancing by Adyashanti :-)
    Jeffrey
  • Mateeah said:

I read this wrong at first, I thought you said you gobbled up the book, and mindful eating is something you're working on. LOL

Emptiness Dancing by Adyashanti :-)

Just put hot sauce on the book and chew it down :)
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    The Wise Heart....by Jack Kornfield